Car sat too long. A lot of random codes.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If you have a canned tune from SCT on there then that could be part of the problem. There is good reason why most everybody uses the SCT handheld but absolutely nobody runs the SCT tunes. Either put it back to stock or buy a real tune and have the tuner read the datalogs to determine the source of the codes.

I do not see your current course of action resolving your issues. Time to stop, back up and reevaluate.

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
If you have a canned tune from SCT on there then that could be part of the problem. There is good reason why most everybody uses the SCT handheld but absolutely nobody runs the SCT tunes. Either put it back to stock or buy a real tune and have the tuner read the datalogs to determine the source of the codes.

I do not see your current course of action resolving your issues. Time to stop, back up and reevaluate.

I thought I had said the car has had multiple custom tunes on it in the passed. Even with the bama tune it had originally, it still did this. It even does it when the car is returned to factory.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
In that case, you may be on the right track with a PCM replace. At only 230 bucks, it can't put you much farther behind than you are now and maybe the full buckshot approach will hit the quail here, ending the chase.

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
In that case, you may be on the right track with a PCM replace. At only 230 bucks, it can't put you much farther behind than you are now and maybe the full buckshot approach will hit the quail here, ending the chase.

I like you analogies lol.

I've been out of the S197 for so long that if I were to get another custom tune written, who would you guys recommend?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Been very happy with my VMP tune. Not a single issue or revision needed since loading it over a year ago. The car will break the tires loose on a roll in 2nd gear when I get up to 3500rpm or so.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Roger that, VMP canned tunes kick ass. They don't whine about your setup like some other well-known tuners do. They got stuck in on my '14 and wrote an 87, 91 and 93 tune even though they don't offer an 87 tune selection when you buy. They certainly aren't as cheap as chips but they do give you your money's worth.

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
**UPDATE**

Replaced the PCM today. Same shit. Im embarrassed.

Got frustrated, looked closely at everything. I had another local performance shop install the tranny because I didn't have time. I will not mention their name because this was a buddy deal. Anyways, the harness at the back of the engine that looks like it is routed to the O2's and cam sensors is literally stuck in between the bellhousing and engine block. He told me hed take care of it. Will update later. Thanks guys.

Touche`

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
In other words, you guys were correct on checking the wiring harness which is ultimately what led me to finding this.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I did the same thing installing my transmission once. My mechanic was able to reach his hands in beside the master cylinder and he fixed my wiring harness one wire at a time without pulling the transmission again. And his hands are bigger than mine, he's a good size dude. Amazed the crap out of me. I paid him well for that bit of handiwork.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Oorah, I win the internet guess-my-problem game....sorry that you still have to fix something, though.....:(

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
Replaced the purge valve yesterday. Didn't fix it. Checked IDS for module updates and the PCM was up to date.

In other words, same issue. The car seems to run just fine. However there is a little bit of white smoke at idle that smells extremely rich. Perhaps the timing actually is out a bit. The car idles smooth but will stutter if I quickly tap the pedal to the floor.

As for the smell and misfire, how old is the fuel? If it has been sitting 2 years, you probably need to drain the tank and clean injectors.

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
As for the smell and misfire, how old is the fuel? If it has been sitting 2 years, you probably need to drain the tank and clean injectors.

Like I said, the car has roughly 1800-2000 miles on it since it sat.

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
I did the same thing installing my transmission once. My mechanic was able to reach his hands in beside the master cylinder and he fixed my wiring harness one wire at a time without pulling the transmission again. And his hands are bigger than mine, he's a good size dude. Amazed the crap out of me. I paid him well for that bit of handiwork.

Looks like it will be pretty easy to get to. I am thinking of just loosening a few tranny bolts to pull out the harness, and go from there. May repair, may replace. From what I gathered, the harness is $178 my price.

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
Just wanted to offer one last update. Even after repairing the harness, the problem STILL persisted. It wasn't until this that something in my mind clicked and told me that with wires shorting out, a fuse may have been damaged. Sure enough, fuse #29 (IIRC), was blown. It controls the PCM, VVCT & O2 system. Car has been fine since.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back