Cervini's side exhaust with Hellion Turbo?

MrBubbles

Reaction score
I have an 08 gt/cs and want to upgrade to the Cervini's side exhaust kit and 62mm Hellion Turbo. My biggest concern is if the exhaust setup will work and/or require any additional modifications? Will I need a Y pipe? Will my engine require any additional modifications (other than custom dyno tune) if I plan on keeping it at 5-7 psi? Any other helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
5-7psi and you will be fine on your stock block.

Last edited:

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
Actually because the Cervini's exhaust is designed to hook to the stock h-pipe just replacing the overaxles and mufflers you shouldn't need anything special as the Hellion setup is designed to hook up to the stock overaxles as well. All you are doing is replacing the overaxles with side exhaust, nothing special.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh yea, DUH! My Y pipe connects to the stock stuff.

Quiksilver

forum member
Reaction score
Just a note on the side pipes as I have them on my car - I think they SUCK!

They are SUPER loud and make the whole car vibrate with NVH. I now have the loudest car in the Middle East after my additonal heads and cams install......and its as super loud before that - its ridiculous! If they werent part of my bodykit I would have gotten rid of them ages ago.

The design is very poor IMO - they go through an H/X then go all the way to the back of the car, do a full you turn back towards the middle before exiting on the side. I wouldnt be surpised if they choke the engine a bit and rob the car of power.

Also the tips go from the outside downwards towards the middle of the car, then up to the pipe which has been a headache for clearance. I keep scraping the one on the padssenger side and it then gets out of alignment, touches the bodykit and melts the paintwork and panel.

Just thought you should know.....

mygt500

Stangpede Co-Captain Michigan Chapter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the same kit as well and the exhaust IMO is marginally more restrictive than stock. I say this because all the bends are mandrel bent and shaped similar to the bends that go over the axle (loosely speaking and similar number of bends) and I do get some drone and NVH at 1800-2000 rpms but no issues with scraping (exhaust tips being the lowest part of the exhaust system). Now the big difference between our setups is the LT's, heads, and cams. Cant comment on sound because I use the stock manifolds, heads, and cams for now and they don't seem that loud to me. I have definitely heard louder axle backs. I would never recommend running these cars (esp side exhaust) without the CATs but IMO the car appears louder as the exhaust exits closer to your ears..... I love it and I don't even set any alarms off with start up and I love scaring the hell out of the vettes and porshes etc. when I pass by them. I believe that most mustangs were not made to have side exhaust and Cervinis was the only one that dared do it with the S197.....notice that Roush doesn't offer it for the S197's..... just not enough interest and too much money and R&D to make the exhaust's work under the car for profit. My mufflers are magnaflow.... I assume yours are the same and they are a straight thru design so like the old cherry bomb glasspacks they by nature are loud. I would not change anything except to get LT's.....but thats JMO...

Quiksilver---- love the car! Looks mean and one of a kind!

Last edited:

MrBubbles

Reaction score
I appreciate all the response and personal experience. My other concern is too much engine heat. This will be my DD and I do about 50% street and 50% freeway driving. I live in AZ and the summers get close to 120 F and we drive year round. Will this be a major issue? If so, will the intercooler included in the hellion package be enough or should I look to upgrade to something better?

joe@jdm

Official Vendor
Reaction score
from the service perspective, you cant put a car on a lift very easily with those side pipes on. we usually remove them to get the car on the lift to be safe and know we arent causing any damage

blacknlte

Reaction score
Just a note on the side pipes as I have them on my car - I think they SUCK!

They are SUPER loud and make the whole car vibrate with NVH. I now have the loudest car in the Middle East after my additonal heads and cams install......and its as super loud before that - its ridiculous! If they werent part of my bodykit I would have gotten rid of them ages ago.

The design is very poor IMO - they go through an H/X then go all the way to the back of the car, do a full you turn back towards the middle before exiting on the side. I wouldnt be surpised if they choke the engine a bit and rob the car of power.

Also the tips go from the outside downwards towards the middle of the car, then up to the pipe which has been a headache for clearance. I keep scraping the one on the padssenger side and it then gets out of alignment, touches the bodykit and melts the paintwork and panel.

Just thought you should know.....

I have the same kit as well and the exhaust IMO is marginally more restrictive than stock. I say this because all the bends are mandrel bent and shaped similar to the bends that go over the axle (loosely speaking and similar number of bends) and I do get some drone and NVH at 1800-2000 rpms but no issues with scraping (exhaust tips being the lowest part of the exhaust system). Now the big difference between our setups is the LT's, heads, and cams. Cant comment on sound because I use the stock manifolds, heads, and cams for now and they don't seem that loud to me. I have definitely heard louder axle backs. I would never recommend running these cars (esp side exhaust) without the CATs but IMO the car appears louder as the exhaust exits closer to your ears..... I love it and I don't even set any alarms off with start up and I love scaring the hell out of the vettes and porshes etc. when I pass by them. I believe that most mustangs were not made to have side exhaust and Cervinis was the only one that dared do it with the S197.....notice that Roush doesn't offer it for the S197's..... just not enough interest and too much money and R&D to make the exhaust's work under the car for profit. My mufflers are magnaflow.... I assume yours are the same and they are a straight thru design so like the old cherry bomb glasspacks they by nature are loud. I would not change anything except to get LT's.....but thats JMO...

Quiksilver---- love the car! Looks mean and one of a kind!

Pic
l_e0cdf02e70b54f3fb565bbf265c55d6c.jpg

l_6492ad16fbf04460998671f1b4344de0.jpg

Quiksilver

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pics!!

By the way I think that BASH offers a side exhaust set-up too but I dont know how good it is or how relable they are - heard a bit if negative hearsay.

Those bends cant be good for airflow!!! What about losing the bend altogether and going straight from the mufflers to the side exhaust? May have to trim some of the underpanel away. Custom job of course.

Also what about "wrapping" the exhaust in something that dampens vibrations? Just a crazy thought.....

Maybe its just me with the problems.....ha ha

Incidentally I live in Dubai which is the Speedbump capital of the world. We have the biggest and most frequent speebumps that I have ever seen - hence my clearance issue sand scraping the exhaust frequently.

Back