Code P0171 System Too Lean

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Okay, my car didn't act right when I gave it gas and when I put my Diablo to it, it had two codes. The other code I don't remember, but it did say lean but it hasn't come back. I thought my mass air meter might have gotten dirty when I cleaned my air filter. So I use mass sensor cleaner and after a while I had the same code.

Until then any ideas?

Thanks
Ed

Last edited:

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
only time I ever had that code P0171 or P0174 it was intake leak, if you haven't already check clamps for intake also check vaccum line that runs to the passenger side valve cover.

It's usually something simple.

Last edited:

MSgt46270

Reaction score
only time I ever had that code P0171 or P0714 it was intake leak, if you haven't already check clamps for intake also check vaccum line that runs to the passenger side valve cover.

It's usually something simple.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

big-j

Reaction score
last time i had that code and the po174 it was because my dumb ass didnt put the throttle body gasket on.well it fell off had to of lol but ya id check for vacum leak or maby just maby the throttle body gasket jump out might wanna check there sneaky basterds

martinr69

Reaction score
I had that problem and what took care of it was the fuel filter. But to get that code to disappear I went throu O2 sensors and the fuel filter and 2 tunes from BBR... But it's been a week now and no code.

PUNISHERSTANG

Patrolman
Reaction score
Fuel filter was replaced about 2 to 3 years ago
ya its proabably time to change it, im just saying that i have had ALOT of arguments with people about a fuel filter or an 02 sensor fixing a lean condition. ive gone as far as to wait until the guy that worked next to me told me the car he was working on had a bad fuel filter and was killing the fuel pressure (which doesnt happen because restriction = greater pressure) and i did a fuel pressure and fuel volume test and everything was within spec. i did the same thing after he replaced the fuel filter and the readings were identical. Ford fuel filters are self cleaning and very rarely cause a problem. im convinced it would take letting the car sit until the fuel in the filter turned to dust to cause a problem. there is a big sock on the bottom of most ford fuel pumps that prevents most anything from passing through the pump

Sinotis

forum member
Reaction score
Lean codes are autozones best friend. People will replace every sensor on a car before they look for vaccum/intake leaks.

PUNISHERSTANG

Patrolman
Reaction score
Lean codes are autozones best friend. People will replace every sensor on a car before they look for vaccum/intake leaks.
AMEN to that, there is nothing more frustrating then some parts person telling someone the parts their car needs. once someone has it in their head that they need an 02 sensor or pcv valve you just have to change it to appease them!

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Double check,Triple check ALL fittings hoses that are intake related.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
I think I'll replace the MAF sensor. I recently cleaned the air filter and used oil on it (Kenny Bell air filter). Problems started a short time after this.

Here's what I found out about the codes.

Technical Description

System Too Lean (Bank 2)
What does that mean?

Basically this means that an in bank 2 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 2 is generally the side of the engine that doesn't have cylinder #1.
Note: This DTC is very similar to P0171, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.
Symptoms

You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.
Causes

A code P0174 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

• The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
  • There could be a downstream of the MAF sensor.
Possible Solutions

Possible solutions include:

• In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
  • Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
  • Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure

Last edited:

MSgt46270

Reaction score
I bought a new 90mm MAF, but didn't install it. I had cleaned the MAF sensor a second time and let it dry over night. The next day while driving the car I would check for codes on my predator and again today. Looks like I just needed to clean the MAF real good.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Okay, I replaced the MAF and all shit went to hell, car went into fail safe. Now I have other codes and I know it has to do with the MAF. Looks like it's going to need a new tune if I'm right. Text Adam already.

CODES

P0102 Mass - volume air flow circuit low input

P2105 Throttle actuator controls forced engine shut down

P2106 Throttle actuator control system force limited power

P1000 OBD systems readiness est not complete

Back