Coolant Brands?

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Always distilled water here. Letting tap water sit will get rid of the chlorine, maybe that's what he was getting at?

Yes that was what I ment to get rid of the chlorine out of it, making it better then straight from the tap. I didn't clarify enough that it doesn't make it destilled water.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've heard some people say that distilled water is worse than tap water. Something about corrosion.

That might be the case, but the tap water at my house is so horrid that it won't get anywhere near my car. Maybe I'll just use my Brita filter.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I've heard some people say that distilled water is worse than tap water. Something about corrosion.

That might be the case, but the tap water at my house is so horrid that it won't get anywhere near my car. Maybe I'll just use my Brita filter.

Distilled water has no minerals dissolved in it, which are what really cause the corrosion. Pure water water isn't harmful, its the deposits that tap or hard water carries that are harmful.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

Some people are idiots.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Which coolant is used the 2013 gt500 for the supercharger? Is it the motorcraft orange?

posted via Tapatalk

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score

Distilled water has no minerals dissolved in it, which are what really cause the corrosion. Pure water water isn't harmful, its the deposits that tap or hard water carries that are harmful.

Some people are idiots.

I believe you guys are referring to deionized water, not distilled.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
The thinking is that deionized and to a lesser extent distilled water can cause corrosion because it is ion hungry. Seems like paranoia to me but whatever. Use at least 15-20% antifreeze and you are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
On my cbr I use distilled water and water wetter. Runs cool.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 2

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
You could run either distilled or deionized water. They share the same pH roughly (6.8-7.0) at neutral. Distilled is a more basic purification. Essentially boiled water (water turned to steam transfered to a clean resevoir back to water). Deionized is basicly filtered water. Special materials are used to remove impure ions (or ions of choice) from the water as it passes through the filters.

Most will argue distilled is more pure than deionized. Each has its use. Distilled removes more heavy minerals than deionized. Deionized removes more bacteria/chemicals. All will depend on the original water source.

Fact; Distilled water is readily available at most grocery stores at around $.80/gal. You could use either purification process and get the same results, pick your poison.

Bottom line; tap water, in general, is shitty water to put in your car. Most major cities and even some small towns put additional chemicals/stabilizers in the public resevoir to kill bacteria and neutralize odor, including chlorine and fluoride. Not to mention any additional minerals the water picks up along the way through the pipes and out of the tap.

Back