Driveshaft installation guidance needed

Rubrignitz

forum member
Reaction score
I have a coast driveshaft that vibrates due to a defective slip joint so I purchased another coast thinking (silly me) it would bolt right up with little effort. Removing the old driveshaft was a snap, then I notice the rear pinion adapter is f-in different (pics below of old and new adapter). My problem is the old adapter won't budge out of the flange. It's rusted, stuck whatever in the flange. Is there some kind of puller I can rent/purchase to get the old adapter out of the flange? I hate to have to bring it somewhere when it's so easy to swap out. I just need to get that old adapter out of the flange.

oldflange.jpg

newflange.jpg

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
steering wheel puller should work, soak the old one in WD40, and coat the new one with anti-sez before u install it

Rubrignitz

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. I just image searched flange pullers and it looks like a 3 jaw type would work too. I really hate pulling all that apart again to realize I don't have the correct tool....If I have to purchase an entire new flange from dealer parts I guess that's an option too.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
If you could take all the bolts out completely and put them in just the adapter to use them as a handle and try to wiggle it out of there while you bash it with a rubber mallet I think you would be in good shape, but try liquid wrench it's good for that kind of stuff.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
I have a Coast shaft in my 09 GT. I love it. After i installed it, it was great. a couple months later i lowered the car and had a tough time adjusting the pinion, it vibrated

Rubrignitz

forum member
Reaction score
I think a 3 prong puller will work. Soak the old adapter with some pb blaster and yank that puppy out with the puller. I just hope its not fuzed to the flange. I have to stop by dealer parts after work tomorrow and pick up some stock flange bolts because the old adapter bolts are too short to work with the new adapter. All of my projects seem to turn out like this lol.

Oh well...beats paying somebody else to do something I can in an hour or two.

Rubrignitz

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Coast shaft in my 09 GT. I love it. After i installed it, it was great. a couple months later i lowered the car and had a tough time adjusting the pinion, it vibrated

Went through that myself. The old driveshaft was installed on the car at 5k miles and I now have 76k on it so it lasted awhile but the slip joint developed play in it. Just enough to cause an 80mph vibe. Annoying.

They make a driveshaft that doesn't utilize a slip joint but rather a heavy duty CV joint. They're expensive...$1000+ but that will be the replacement for this one if it acts up. I love one piece driveshafts but the slip joints are cause of the vibrations most of the time.

Rubrignitz

forum member
Reaction score
Well I got the thing off this morning with a 3 prong puller. Super easy. I didn't really want to beat on my pinion flange as I'm trying to kill a vibration not create new ones. It came off like butter with the puller. Got the new flange on and driveshaft mounted up easily. Zero runout on new shaft and while I had it off I set my pinion angle perfectly to -1.5. If anyone is interested in the old driveshaft to try to have it rebuilt or something I'll sell cheap to get it out of my garage (pic below). I'm sure it can be rebalanced and a new slip joint installed. I didn't want to deal with the downtime while it was rebuilt and no longer have my stocker.
puller.jpg

newadapter.jpg

olddriveshaft.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back