dust in top of airbox

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
Couple years ago I installed an Upgr8 panel filter for my 08 GT. The filter was a good fit to the top of the air box, but the fit to the bottom of the airbox wasn't desirable.
Anyway, I cleaned out the filter today and noticed a very fine layer of very fine dust inside the top of the air box. It was so fine that it didn't feel gritty or sandy. I cleaned off the dust, and installed a paper STP filter.
I've never seen dust like that on any car I've had with any filter. Anyone else experience this fine layer of dust inside the top of the air box? Your thoughts?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yup.
No filter stops every particle.
And since you could not feel it, it wont hurt anything.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Well if it didn't fit right the air is trying to go around the filter instead of through it. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, that kind of stuff wil go through the motor without any issues. I've run my car at the track with no filter before. My old firebird runs around with an open carb on it.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Couple years ago I installed an Upgr8 panel filter for my 08 GT. The filter was a good fit to the top of the air box, but the fit to the bottom of the airbox wasn't desirable.
Anyway, I cleaned out the filter today and noticed a very fine layer of very fine dust inside the top of the air box. It was so fine that it didn't feel gritty or sandy. I cleaned off the dust, and installed a paper STP filter.
I've never seen dust like that on any car I've had with any filter. Anyone else experience this fine layer of dust inside the top of the air box? Your thoughts?

I had the exact same experience after fitting a K&N filter to both my truck and my motorcycle. Cleaned up and put in OEM style filters and never saw that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
Thanks, Juice/07/WJ.

This is, of course, another great reason for Santa to bring me a JLT, Roush, or Airaid.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back