Few questions on 5.4 3V swap, with single 76.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Ok, to make a long story short.

I was in the process of putting together a 323" shortblock, and sold all the parts due to moving out and school.

So I built up a 305" stroker, sold it.

Now, I am gathering parts for a 5.4 3V swap in my 06.

Couple of questions, some have already been answered, but didn't find exact answers when I searched.

1) How will the accessories work off of my 4.6?

2) Do I run a 5.4 engine harness, or will my stock engine harness work?

3) In order to save some weight, and plumbing, I have pondered the idea of using a Kenne Bell lower intake/intercooler and fabbing an upper which will allow me to put the throttle body wherever I want.

This is my main concern.

I have been assured that the computer will not care if the engine is a 4.6 or a 5.4. Just needs custom tuning.

Any help guys. I am diving into this soon.

Thanks,
Chris

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
mikes build is basically what you have planned chris .....his was homemade with e-force runners though , according to spyder ( forgot real name srry ) all acc. work you just have to tinker with the brackets and swap positions of them ( iirc ) , I had asked him about it after my engine blew the first time

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
mikes build is basically what you have planned chris .....his was homemade with e-force runners though , according to spyder ( forgot real name srry ) all acc. work you just have to tinker with the brackets and swap positions of them ( iirc ) , I had asked him about it after my engine blew the first time

Thanks for the reply, Beau!

BTW, where the hell have you been? lol

spyder7724

Reaction score
yeah all the accesories work just fine even used the same belt as the 4.6 as long as you use the 6 rib 4.6 pulley setup. the stock 5.4 use 8 rib pulley stuff. engine height is the only real concern due to the p\s pulley and headers if using long tubes. i used prthane mounts and removed the urethane to lower the engine down also flipped the trans crossmember upside down . neat thing is that all the brackets can be relocated to the other side of the trans crossmember to allow the exhaust Hpipe mounts to stay in the stock location. it actually was a real breeze. you need an 8 bolt flywheel. all the wiring harness stuff worked perfectly and the ecm doesn't care what engine it is since you've got to customtune anyway. i used the stock fuel rails but did need to use a longer crossover fuel line. i used a JPC intake and even that fit perfectly once the engine height was adjusted. my headers did have to be severely modified but they were L\T's in you situation with the turbo setup the shorty style may work just fine.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Awesome!!!

I am more excited about it now knowing it was less of a pain than I was thinking.

spyder7724

Reaction score
i even used the stock motor mount plates and just oblonged the bolt holes so they would just bolt up. 3 of the 4 holes line right up but one is a bit off. sent another PM with some small details concerning heater hose and alternator bracket mods i made just to make it easier for you

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
long story man lol ..... I was actually gonna put one in my cobra for shits n giggles but the 4v sale fell through so never went any further with the idea , now seeing these damn results from the new 5.0's have me thinking again haha

spyder7724

Reaction score
here's some pics chris of mine and what i could find re: the bracket and stuff
i know i took some pics of the bracket just can't find them right now i'll keep looking

Attachments

• 5.4 swap 001.jpg
    5.4 swap 001.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 61
  • finished 5.4 004.jpg
    finished 5.4 004.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 75
  • hood and intake clearance 5.4 001.jpg
    hood and intake clearance 5.4 001.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 66

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Awesome Ron! Guess I need to get on the ball ordering parts and getting this build going!!

85coupe50

S197 Newbie
Reaction score
i even used the stock motor mount plates and just oblonged the bolt holes so they would just bolt up. 3 of the 4 holes line right up but one is a bit off. sent another PM with some small details concerning heater hose and alternator bracket mods i made just to make it easier for you

Is there a way you might post those mods here or PM those to me? I am looking into putting a 5.4 3v on an engine stand for when I want more GO.

Let me know as I would love to be able to make this as easy as possible.

Thanks...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back