ford puzzled at my 2012 gt with cel on

musgrave99

Reaction score
This site has given me so much information Id thought I would at least share my experience with my 5.0

My car is a 2012 mustang gt premium with 19in machined rims, security package, comfort package. Roush axle backs and thats it.

IT IS NOT TUNED NOR HAS IT EVER BEEN. ONLY MODS ARE AXLE BACKS. MY VEHICLE IS COMPLETELY STOCK.

At approx 5000 miles I started to notice my 5.0 shudder in 1st gear from a stop. Not due to low rpm, I would be well into the rpm band. it would even happen in 2nd and sometimes 3rd. M6 btw

I took the vehicle to Ford to have my oil changed and also Look at the problem. They looked at the transmission and clutch and stated nothing was wrong and that the technicians did not experience what I described driving the vehicle themselves. I wrote it off as nothing more than an annoyance.

At approx 6500 miles, My CEL came on the dash. I was stunned that buying a new car the light would be on. So I took it to the dealership. The tech plugged it in to their computer and The code said that the 02 sensors were malfunctioning. The tech then told me that it was just a computer malfunction. I accepted the answer, they reflashed my computer in the vehicle and I went on my way.

now at 8400 miles (approx) The next day, My CEL came on the dash during my morning commute to work. Being in the military I went to the field for a few weeks on and off, and got busy at Arlington National cemetery as it is Getting close to summer (im an old guard soldier) and couldnt go without my vehicle so I drove around with the light on for quite a while. It even seemed as if the shuddering problem I described earlier was getting worse and happening more often. So Finally getting a chance, I took it to the dealership. 2 days pass and they replace the 02 sensors as a resolution. CEL gone. Perfect. except when the CEL came back on 2 days later.

So I need my vehicle for Easter weekend. Take the car back to the dealership yet again. The dealership says its ok to drive with the CEL on. They turn off the light for whatever reason, it came back on a few miles later. Get back to the Northern virginia area after easter and take the car to the dealership. After a 4 days go by, they say they solved the problem working with Ford engineers. They claim the fuel injectors are the source of the problem. Excellent. I go pick up my vehicle, washed and vaccumed and no CEL on. I happily begin my drive back home. 5 mins later the CEL is back on. I turn right around and take it back. The techs facepalmed and I just nodded and got right back into my rental.

The most recent update I have is that they still dont know what the problem is. Its been 7 days since I last dropped it off. And a Ford engineer is supposed to be looking at It today.

There are definitely problems with some of the mustangs. I know there are not many cases like mine which is why ford thinks all problems are due to tunes, because most are haha. But anyways thats my story.

During the 3rd repair attempt, I started the lemon law process. So far ford has offered me 624.00 as an act of good will in an attempt to settle this case. I rejected as I am pursuing replacement. I bought a new car so I didnt have problems and yet this is what Im dealing with. UGH.

zach

musgrave99

Reaction score
I couldnt Tell you. I know it had to do with the 02 sensors at first.

They said That it changed though, and that its constantly throwing different codes. As I stated they said the fuel injector code was also being thrown.

I might be able to find out tomorrow as I am going to the dealership to get past repair orders.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I couldnt Tell you. I know it had to do with the 02 sensors at first.

They said That it changed though, and that its constantly throwing different codes. As I stated they said the fuel injector code was also being thrown.

I might be able to find out tomorrow as I am going to the dealership to get past repair orders.

That would be an alternator on a 3v. Glad to see you are pursuing lemon law. They will want to do anything to avoid a branded title. You don't want a new car with problems.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
What does opening a ticket do?

Dealerships all work on Customer Service and Quality Control Points. Not 100% sure how it hurts them but the more issues the more it costs them on the back side.

If the Engineer is supposedly involved that is a good step. These guys are usually very good at what they do!

musgrave99

Reaction score
I know ford has a special deal with the BBB. theyre part of a program in an attempt to get any problems settled, with the customer satisified.

Exactly my point. I dont want a new car with problems.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I opened a ticket ONCE. Every time I go to a Ford dealer now, a bright yellow box pops up on their computer that says
"CUSTOMER HAS CONTACTED FORD CORPORATE. RESOLVE ALL ISSUES ON FIRST VISIT."

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'd push for either a replacement car or an extended warranty. But personally, I'd try for the replacement car for quite some time before offering up the repaired car with extended warranty apple.

cgibs89

Stickers add HP brah
Reaction score
Just go to Vato Zone or Oreilly's and pull the code before you bring it back. It sounds like a misfire, if anything, though.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^ if the Ford engineers can't figure it out and clear it why would you trust Auto Zone???????

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
^^ if the Ford engineers can't figure it out and clear it why would you trust Auto Zone???????
As stated the codes are being cleared but coming back. Autozone can tell you what the code is and also clear it for you. It's not rocket science.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree but I would trust the Ford techs to read/understand the codes much more than I would just taking it to Auto Zone to get codes read and reset....plus since he is pursuing the Lemon Law the more times he has it at Ford the more it is documeted and the better his case looks..it's not rocket science!

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Vato Zone no longer does clears codes. I wouldn't really trust those guys no nothing more than just the basics.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I got the impression the suggestion was to go to Auto Zone and pull the codes and come back here to discuss, NOT let those pizza delivery guys that work there actually suggest or do anything to the OP car but I could be wrong. I have been......................................once. :roflmao:

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get your own code scanner. They're around $100. It will pay for itself, trust me. You can scan, read, and clear codes to your heart's content.

You can also run an emissions test before you go to a gov't one and know upfront that you'll pass.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back