Ford Racing Driveshaft Fitment 2005- 2010

Project916

Reaction score
I purchased the Ford driveshaft M-4602-MGTA for my 2007 Automatic. After buying I noticed it says it will only work on the manual trans? Length seems fine and the flange/yokes on both sides line up.

Anyone know why it will not work?

Thanks and Happy Holidays

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yeah mine is automatic too so I purchased Shaftmasters one-piece aluminum drive shaft a few years ago.

Read the same with the Ford being manual trans only. Never researched it since I had other options, but you're right according to Rockauto the driveshafts are all the same...

Project916

Reaction score
I bolted it in and it fit fine. I just don't want to drive the car and ruin an expensive driveshaft or trans. Plus return shipping and fees will kill me lol...

JC SSP

Reaction score
Consider a quick call to Ford Performance:

Call our Techline for assistance with Ford Performance equipment, installation, and technical help. (800) 367-3788.

RareMustang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gents - can you educate me on the benefits of the Shaftmasters piece and if it would make sense for my 5-speed '07 Shelby GT?

Is it the weight and reliability advantages of the 1-piece design? Anything else need to be replaced when the driveshaft is swapped?

Last edited:

RareMustang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy the Ford Racing M-4602-MGTA driveshaft and have it installed in my 2007 Shelby GT.

Any reason you guys would advise against it?

JC SSP

Reaction score
I replaced the 2-piece factory drive shaft with the 1-piece aluminum Shaft-Masters on my automatic 05' GT to strengthen & prevent any potential driveline issues. The factory 2-piece is still in my warehouse and worked fine when removed. I just have seen too many 2-piece drive shafts come apart or cause vibration issues (mostly in trucks with the bearing support going bad) to know that I dont want one under my car.

The 1-piece shaft is lighter and performance balanced; so less reciprocating mass should equate to more power transfer (i.e., less parasitic loss), better fuel economy, less vibration, etc. But I really did not feel any improvements other than peace of mind. And that is priceless. LOL

brasil

Reaction score
The 1 piece Ford DS is a great upgrade. I installed the FRDS in my Mustang. And the car feels so much better. Not kiddin !
Well worth the money. I my opinion

07 Boss

Reaction score
Gents - can you educate me on the benefits of the Shaftmasters piece and if it would make sense for my 5-speed '07 Shelby GT?

Is it the weight and reliability advantages of the 1-piece design? Anything else need to be replaced when the driveshaft is swapped?

Besides getting rid of the clunky 2 piece design you wsave a ton in rotational mass. This equates to quicker accelleration. Some say up to two tenths can be gained in the 1/4 mile. Just remember to check and adjust your pinion angle. With stiff poly bushings you want about -2* for deflection. If still on rubber factory bushings I would increase that by a couple of degrees.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Besides getting rid of the clunky 2 piece design you wsave a ton in rotational mass. This equates to quicker accelleration. Some say up to two tenths can be gained in the 1/4 mile. Just remember to check and adjust your pinion angle. With stiff poly bushings you want about -2* for deflection. If still on rubber factory bushings I would increase that by a couple of degrees.

AFAIK, the shaftmasters DS has a universal joint at both the front and back ends. The DSS-DS version has a universal at the front end...and a CV joint at the back end. As the rear suspension moves up / down, the DS swings in an arc. The CV joint will extend / retract a bit to account for this.

RareMustang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Besides getting rid of the clunky 2 piece design you save a ton in rotational mass. This equates to quicker accelleration. Some say up to two tenths can be gained in the 1/4 mile. Just remember to check and adjust your pinion angle. With stiff poly bushings you want about -2* for deflection. If still on rubber factory bushings I would increase that by a couple of degrees.

I had the driveshaft installed and it drives great (feels a wee bit more responsive). With regards to checking the pinion angle, I'll have to reach out to my shop to find out if they did that.

My '07 Shelby GT is still riding on the factory suspension setup which includes 1.5" lowering and rubber bushings. Is there are precise pinion angle spec that I can relay to my shop other than the "ballpark figures" thrown around in these thread posts? Please also share a bit of context for the recommended degree spec (measured from where to where?)

brasil

Reaction score
I installed the Ford Racing 1 piece DS... my car (2008 Bullitt) has the stock suspension..according to the prospects the Bullitt is a little lower than a "normal "GT.
Downloaded a "anglefinder" from TREMEC... made a testride and then we took the car on a 4 Leg Lift ( the one that is used for alignment services ) verified the levels...
than the ANGLEFINDER comes into the game... first on the crankshaft pully... click enter...next at the output /tranny /Driveshaft.. click enter... and at the end you put the Anglefinder to rear end.

then you can see the result . Mine was fine.

hope that helps

saleen836

forum member
Reaction score
I had a DSS one piece fitted to my '06 Saleen,only downside was having to remove the Saleen short shift kit as the driveshaft would not fit

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back