FS: 98 Twin Turbo Cobra.

Big Top Gt

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Thanks for looking. :)

I'm putting this up for sale before I pull the blower on my Saleen to buy my grandfather's 49 Chevy Pickup.

A little back story:

I've been hit with an opportunity and I'm 99% sure what I want to do. I've got some options, as you'll see below, but this ad is putting the Cobra out there and keeping the Saleen as is.

When I was a kid we didn't have a lot of money. Problems at home between my parents and just the generally crappy situation of living in Jersey as a lower middle class family certainly had its moments. (At one point we lived in our car.)

Through all of that nonsense, there have been quite a few times in my life where my grandparents (maternal) bailed us out. From the off and on times when we lived with them when I was a kid, all the way up to when I moved out of my parents house at 16 and lived with them full time; they've always been there. They were generally the one constant in our lives coming up. They always lived in the same house, on the same block, with the same neighbors.

Out behind their house was a two car detached garage. Inside that garage my grandfather kept all kinds of crap; tools, parts, the occasional rat, and anything/everything you could imagine. Stashed away in that garage was what I always thought was a POS parts truck. It was parked in the garage my entire life, as in, I've never seen it move even one time. It had tools and junk in the bed, stuff stacked inside it AND on top of it, needed a complete paint job, and was an all around mess. It was a fixture that you had to climb over to get things from the garage, not something you ever considered may have actually transported people and stuff.

I always chalked it up to yet another in the long line of "crap-that-would-never-run" cars that my grandfather and uncles passed through the yard.

What I didn't pay attention to was he had that truck for as long as I could remember. and he kept it up until he passed away in 1997. (I'm talking 30-40 years this thing has been in the family.) I've thought about the truck often, but wasn't really sure what happened to it after his passing.

Well, while I was on the phone with my mother's youngest brother (she's the youngest of 4 and he's the youngest boy) yesterday, I found out my mother's middle brother (middle of the boys) not only has the truck, but he actually offered to sell it to him for $5000 dollars.

The truck is a 49 Chevy and what really surprised me is not only is the truck mostly in tact, but it's got a completely new replacement bed (with new wood.), and it actually runs and drives. (How far, I have no idea.)

Now, here's my dilemma.

First, I don't have $5000 lying around I can justify throwing at this truck.

Second, I have three Mustangs right now.

* 05 Saleen S281 #528. (see details below)
* 98 turbo Cobra that's actually running and close to needing a tune
* 91 LX 5.0 that most of you already know about.

Lastly, I really want to by this truck and for several reasons.

* I've loved this truck my whole life.
* I don't want the truck to go outside the family.
* It would be nice to have a piece of both my grandfather and the time/place I grew up.
* It could be a really fun project for me and my kids

So, I have a few options.

First, I'm giving away the 91 to my youngest brother so I can take back some garage space. He's got Cerebral Palsy and both he and my father are going to finish it up and put hand controls in it so he can actually drive it.

In order to afford/justify buying the truck I can basically do one of three things:

1. Sell my Saleen cheap and take the money from that sale and buy the truck. It's a Mineral Grey 2005 S281 that I've completely converted to SC specs with all OEM parts. (Saleen Blower, SC Hood, SC Wing, Chrome Wheels, 14" Saleen brakes, etc...) It's also got custom painted interior parts, billet A/C knobs, OEM Bullitt shift knob, MGW shifter, Pioneer AVIC Z1 Navigation in dash, Nexus Gauges, etc, etc, etc...It has 36000 miles on it and I think I should be able to sell it pretty quickly at $26,000-$27,000 dollars.
2. Pull the blower and the brakes off the Saleen, keep the car, but sell the parts to buy the truck. I figure I could probably get $600-$700 for the brakes and $4500-$5000 for the blower. I can cover the rest of the money I'd need to buy the '49.
3. Simply leave the Saleen alone all together and basically dump my Cobra project.

This thread is to put the Cobra out there and keep the Saleen. :)

* Black/Black 1998 Cobra with 50000 miles on it. I have the original window sticker and a 2" thick stack of receipts to go with the car.
* Modular Powerhouse built 4.6 short block with Manly pistons, mod max rods, forged Cobra crank, billet oil pump gears, tri-metal bearings, ARP head studs/rod bolts, etc, etc, etc... It's built for boost at 8.5:1 compression.
* Meziere chrome idler electric water pump
* ATI balancer
* SHM Stage II ported heads that Boss330 put in what I believe were Comp valves and springs. (You need heavier than stock springs to not float under turbo conditions. You get a lot of pressure on the back side of the valve.)
* 200 amp power master alternator
* 03/04 Cobra T56 with 0 miles on it. It came from Dave King after he had it completely rebuilt. It's got a 26 spline input shaft, billet TOB retainer, and an MGW shifter.
* 03/04 Cobra Aluminum driveshaft.
* Built rear including 31 spline Superior axles, Eaton Posi, 3.55 gears, welded axle tubes, aluminum differential cover, and fresh black powder coating.
* Griggs Suspension, including powder coated K member and A arms, Severe Duty torque arm, lower control arms, Coil over with Koni shocks (Single adjustable up front, double out back)
* Maximum Motorsports CC plates
* Flaming River sportsman power rack
* Griggs steering shaft
* Twin 60mm Master Power turbo kit.
* Twin Tial 38MM waste gates
* Tial 50MM BOV
* Front mount intercooler
* All pipes, both hot side and cold side, are coated with 2000 degree thermodynamic ceramic coating.
* High flow oil pump to empty oil from turbos
* Custom oil filter relocation setup
* COMPLETE fuel system including: Glenn's Performance sumped/baffled fuel tank, twin external Bosch fuel pumps, stainless braided lines from fuel pumps to Aeromotive regulator to UPR 5/8" fuel rails, and back to the pump. From the tank to the fuel pumps it's got push lock hose, the two pumps, and both 100 and 10 micron Aeromotive fuel filters.
* High Impedance 83# injectors. The work with the stock computer and do not require an injector driver
* Boost A Spark
* Brand new Ford coil packs
* Apten mod upgraded with a brass fitting. (No worry about it letting go and spraying the tires with coolant like the plastic fitting tends to do.)
* JLAudio 10w6 Stealth box in the trunk. It's the one that goes into the corner of the trunk and you can't really tell it's there unless you know what you're looking at.
* Phoenix Gold amp to power it.
* 2 AutoMeter EGT gauges to monitor the turbos. One for each bank
* Corbeau A4 Microsuede seats with brackets. The seats are new.
* Custom ABC Exclusive front bumper. It looks like the stock Cobra bumper with a little bit of a lip on the bottom similar to a Cobra R.
* OEM Saleen S281 spoiler.
* Aluminum finish 03 Cobra 17X9 wheels up front with 275 series Michelin Pilot sport tires (almost new)
* Aluminum finish AFS 03 Cobra replica 17X10.5 wheels out back with 315 Nitto Drag Radials.
* Kenny Brown Sub-frame connectors.

There are a BUNCH of things I'm leaving out, but you can all see the car has only the best of the best parts. It's setup to make 800-1000 Hp, but I don't think I want to run the car on the street like that.

That's right, I said on the street, because I'm building it to be a daily driver. The car has power steering, Air Conditioning and cruise control. Everything the car is supposed to have is all still on the car and functioning properly.

So, with the Cobra I can do one of two things: Sell it as it sits for $20,000 or I can put a nice paint job on it and start asking $25000 for it.

It's the buyer's call, unless I don't get one. At that time I'll paint it, drive it, get some video and start showing it actively to sell it.

You can see pictures of the build here. There are several albums you can view:
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/EossoJrFamily/

And here's a video of the car running:

If you have any questions, please email me at [email protected] or call me directly at 310.902.1050.

Lastly, I have the title in hand, free and clear, and I would also consider cash and an interesting partial trade. Sport bikes, Harley's, Older Muscle, etc...

Someone's going to LOVE this car.

Thanks,
Alan

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back