Fuel smell near injectors, EV14 style w/ Whipple

07VistaChicago

forum member
Reaction score
So I am getting this fuel smell near my injectors. The whipple was on the car when I bought it and when I started snoopin' around looking for the fuel leak/smell I noticed that the drivers side fuel rail had two washers as spacers under it. I said WTF? So I took out the spacers and swapped out the o-rings but the rail still didn't sit flush... I was wondering if there was an issue with the whipple lower manifolds? O-ring issues?

My thoughts are that the leak is on the exit side of the injector, because if the leak was on the fuel rail side I would have a real leak and spray due to the pressures.

Any ideas?

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Oh yeah I know all about this.....

When I was finishing up my whipple installation I could not get the injectors to stop leaking where they meet the rail (top of the injector). The problem was the angle between the rail and the injectors was too great when the rail was bolted to the manifold. Production variance of the fuel rails may be the culprit as other whipple owners reported no problems. The fuel rail brackets that attach the rails to the manifold may need to be bent at a slightly different angle to compensate (or spacers or some other creative method).

I finally solved the problem through trial and error, and using the o-rings from my stock injectors which were bigger and made a better seal.

This is the one flaw I found with the whipple kit. I seriously spent 3 goddamn hours messing around until I got them to hold pressure. I was seriously high on gas by the end.

ytix

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had a huge 'gasfall' from multiple injectors on the drivers side on the first prime of the fuel system after my Whipple install. I tried different O-rings, washer-spacers, swapping fuel injectors. I can't remember now (3 years later) which one was the last and final fix. I don't think it's a production variance of the intake mount or the fuel rail tabs either because they all look the same to me. I think a lot of fresh Whipple installs have temporary microleaks that disappear quickly. Or are somehow blessed by the gods who suspend the laws of mechanical physics to allow leak free boostage.

07VistaChicago

forum member
Reaction score
Dang, glad to know I am not alone! I am only getting a smell and no visible leaks though

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back