gear shifter slop

S197_smokn

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 5spd and for some reason when in any gear it has slop like its in nuetral. Any ideas I think it may be where the linkage connects to the tranny?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check the bolts and bushings under the car yet?

There will be some slop, but what u describe sounds more than normal

S197_smokn

forum member
Reaction score
Yea just got under the car it looks like where the linkage connects to the tranny its spinning on the tranny shaft. What would cause that? Everything seems tight

08 Vapor

forum member
Reaction score
My stock shifter is nice and tight, no slop at all. Then again, my car has 21k on it, so nothing is even slightly worn.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
This is an aftermarket shifter

What kind? I'm not going to comment until I know what kind of shifter you have that has slop. Some aftermarket shifters are little more than repainted stock shifters and others are excellent.

phorty

forum member
Reaction score
My MGW shifter has slop like this. Used to be super tight and now has gotten quite a bit of slop.

phorty

forum member
Reaction score
Bump this back up. I recall reading that some guys had found a solution with this issue but I can't find it.

All I could find was this and the image below:
"All of the play is at the joint where the linkage attached to the trans. There is a ball at the end of the shaft coming out of the trans. There is a fitting at the end of the linkage that goes over the ball and then a pin bolt goes through the whole assembly. All of the play is at this linkage."

Has anyone tried to do this repair?

This is what my shifter is like. This is a few years ago - I probably had less than 25K miles on the car at the time. Oh, and I have one of the original beta MGW shifters which has been installed since 2007.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
My car has always had this play. I think it is a property of the design. There's no way to tighten up a joint that has these degrees of freedom.

phorty

forum member
Reaction score
That may be true but mine was very tight when new and stayed that way until maybe 20K miles and 4 years of ownership.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
That's way worse than mine (I'm at 33k with a Hurst Billet). Mine has some movement, but not any more/worse than the stock setup had. Everything is tight as well, I just checked them when I changed transmission fluid.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
I have an MGW and at first I thought what you were talking about was normal, but after seeing the video I would say that seems pretty excessive. Something must be worn out. Contact the guys over at MGW and see if they have any advice.

phorty

forum member
Reaction score
I have an MGW and at first I thought what you were talking about was normal, but after seeing the video I would say that seems pretty excessive. Something must be worn out. Contact the guys over at MGW and see if they have any advice.
I spoke to George about it a few years back and he's seen the video. He said the slop is in the trans itself. To test his theory, I got under the car and wiggled the shifter while in gear from underneath. The play was present all the way to the trans. So it was not gaining any slop through the shifter and linkages. I concluded that he was right.

The car drives fine and shifts totally fine so there are no functionality issues, just has that excessive movement while in gear. It's more of an annoyance to me because I remember a time when it did not do that and the whole setup had a feel of quality.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back