Goodguys Del Mar

claudermilk

Reaction score
I ran the All American Sunday autocross this weekend at the Goodguys Del Mar show. I went in not taking it seriously as I expected to be non-competitive based on past experience here & my general lack of competitiveness so far in the car. I got a big surprise.

As usual, they had the course crammed into a postage-stamp-sized lot where it's more of a gymkhana than autocross. The surface looked like I remembered--very rubbered in and I assumed good & slick. I don't know if it was just new tires, or if the conditions were better, but grip seemed a lot better this time. IIRC I was still on the stock 255-40/19 P-Zeroes last time & now was on the 285-35/19 Pole Position S-04s now. It could also be the work on the driver mod has had some positive effect.

They have the course set up with 4 main lanes you zigzag through with a sweeper to connect the ends to make your 2 laps. Within those lanes, they have room to throw obstacles. In this case, there was a mini-Chicago box right after the start and small slaloms on the last two. You exit the course by skipping the last slalom to an outer finish straight with a full-stop finish.

In any case, I went in to the first run basically with the goal of getting around the course without murdering half the cones like I started last time. I succeeded at that. I also found that dialing the aggression way back helped me manage flinging the car around better. I learned last time that those uber-tight hairpins around a single apex cone require slowing way down, cranking the wheel over, then pitch the back end out. Once I started paying attention, it seemed besides me, it was only the "pro" class drivers doing that. What I didn't know was that first run put me in 2nd for non-pro, non-truck.

The second run I just concentrated on getting some more speed--on throttle earlier & getting a higher cruise speed through the slaloms and the sweeper. I also worked on getting on the throttle until I had to feather it to maintain traction on the straight sections available. Braking into the hairpins really got into the brake dive behavior of the stock suspension, but getting into the ABS meant I was working them hard enough. It almost felt like I overslowed, but that allowed me to get the nose turning & prepped for blipping the throttle to break the rear loose & pivot the car. This needed to be done three times per lap & it felt the best I've ever done trying this. The brakes on the car are so good, even after driving through the finish lights, I stopped well short of the stop line--I watched a lot of cars just barely make the stop. This on pads & fluid that have a track day on them.

After finishing I got my surprise. I head the announcer getting all excited about my time & saying I was in the lead. :thud: At that point, I paid more attention to the cars I was sure were in direct competition. I was hearing on-off throttle in the slaloms & sweeper, and nobody throwing the rear around in the haripins (they were all stuck in terminal understeer like I did before). The competition was several other S197 cars including a couple of GT500s, a Hertz Penske, and a Shelby GT350. Most importantly to beat was the current-gen Camaro SS, Challenger 392, and a couple of Chargers. There was also a Caterham 7 & Ariel Atom that should have pwned all of use big boats, but they needed driver mods badly; the Caterham sounded like the driver barely got into WOT at all.

When I was going through the awards ceremony line, there was a Capt. Buzkill, Debbie Downer making a jealous, snarky comment about showing up on Sunday to win since it was easier? Pardon me? I didn't see you out there, so suck it. :321:

So, requisite photos & video.
Parked in the "Winner's Circle" area prior to the trophy presentation. Said trophy. And the time slip (I especially like the "From 1st" line).
i-3R94bR5-S.jpg
i-MzcKtnQ-S.jpg
i-HrbjRNd-S.jpg

First the in-car views (playing with 2 cameras finally & the side view was spit-balled for aim), then an external view of the run. This was the only run I got video, but that's ok as it's the important one.

After reviewing the side camera, I am extremely pleased with my car placement. I thought I was leaving a ton of room to the cones, but to me it looks like for the most part the car was perfectly placed. Yay, I'm learning the corners of the car!

Oh, and since I can use these now: :victory: :snoopy

Now to go run with SCCA again & bring me back to Earth...

claudermilk

Reaction score
Thanks.

I did a little more reading on the rules & classing (yeah, AFTER the event). I am in the catch-all "anything newer than 1973" class. From the results page it looks like my time was 5th fastest of the entire weekend--which put me right in the middle of the pro class guys with their built pro-touring monsters. Woot!

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Congrats on the All American Sunday win! These course are SO challenging, and have very little to do with the car but more about the driver. You have to memorize the confusing course then reign in the car to keep from over-rotating, hitting cones, or mega-plowing in the tight stuff.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Thanks. That means a lot coming from you.

Yeah, my last time was all terrible, terminal plowing. This time around I figured out the way to get the car to pivot around those apex cones. Not over-doing it is almost as hard as getting the car rotated in the first place.

I am pretty pleased with myself. I am finally starting to feel like I'm honing the skills again that I once had in my old GS/STX car.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
Have not been around auto-crossing since the age of 10 (a long time ago).

Do they still allow the drivers to walk the track before events?

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
Have not been around auto-crossing since the age of 10 (a long time ago).

Do they still allow the drivers to walk the track before events?

Yes they do, in the SCCA they have about an hour set aside for walking the course before the event starts.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Got a nice surprise in the mail today. I had heard some mention of a prize package, but at the event all I got was the trophy--which was nice enough for me. After all, I was just screwing around & having fun.

Well, I get a package from Goodguys in the mail today with these goodies inside:
i-PZn8Xmn-M.jpg

:omfg::snoopy
Nice surprise. Now to go look at what I can do with it. At the least, I have a set of tires coming. Not everything I can use on the Mustang, so all the cars will probably get goodies.

I think I'll be taking the next one a little more seriously.

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
I won Indy today. Does your tire certificate specifically say what tires you can get? Rivals were not on the list of tires I could order, just wondering what yours says.

Donny

claudermilk

Reaction score
First of all, congrats!

Yes, there are three models listed and Rivals are not on the list. I may call them and ask when I'm ready to turn the certificate in. The Sport Comp-2 is the only one of the three I'm interested in, which is ok as those were on my short list last time I replaced tires.

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, this was an all american weekend so we ran all three days with all the street machines. GG cancelled my 67.4 when I failed to come to a complete stop at the end of the run......I was pretty happy with that run and got overexcited.

The comp2 is okay at best. The carcass is the same as the Rival and the continuous center rib makes for pretty decent turn in but grip is not nearly as good as the Rival. I really don't want any of those tires.

If you are able to do anything different let me know and I will do the same. I wonder what Fair did.....pretty sure he doesn't need a set of Radial T/As.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, this was an all american weekend so we ran all three days with all the street machines. GG cancelled my 67.4 when I failed to come to a complete stop at the end of the run......I was pretty happy with that run and got overexcited.

The comp2 is okay at best. The carcass is the same as the Rival and the continuous center rib makes for pretty decent turn in but grip is not nearly as good as the Rival. I really don't want any of those tires.

If you are able to do anything different let me know and I will do the same. I wonder what Fair did.....pretty sure he doesn't need a set of Radial T/As.

He got some sport comp-2's and sold them to a local Boss owner for DD duty. I only know this because I was there when the transaction was happening. I'm not a stalker, I promise.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back