Grinding Problem...?

2010Mustang

Southern Maryland Mustang
Reaction score
Okay here it is.. :newbie:

Well when I shift into 3rd gear (clutch is depressed) sometimes it grinds.. It especially does when I am racing.. I just don't understand.. I've done this the same way with other cars I have owned and never done this.. I upgraded to the Barton shifter also and it did this before than.. What am I doing wrong? I just don't fu**ing understand...

G.T

Reaction score
your shifter has no effect here.. the idea is that when you push the clutch pedal, the clutch should disengage the transmission input shaft from your engine's crankshaft, allowing the transmission to slow down for the new gear selection to mesh correctly with the help of the synchronizers.

there could be many reasons for your issue, such as

- Clutch and Slave Cylinder: Clutch isn't fully disengaging when you push the pedal in
- Pilot Bearing: if the bearing is busted, it could catch on your input shaft and not allow your transmission to slow-down when the clutch is disengaged
- Gearbox Internals: worn out synchronizers and/or gear damage

now since it's happening only in 3rd.. chances are the 3rd gear synchros are bad, in addition to either or both of the other issues (which lead the synchros to fail)..

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
G.T hit it on the head. Important question for you. You say it happens when you are racing. What RPM are you trying to shift at?

2010Mustang

Reaction score
Thanks a lot G.T ... Someone said it could be the synchros.. Just seeing if they were telling the truth.. They told me one thing if I were to get my synchros fixed might as well get a new transmission.. Truth to that?

Nitrostang.. I am usually when getting on it shifting at 7500 rpms..

G.T

Reaction score
They told me one thing if I were to get my synchros fixed might as well get a new transmission.. Truth to that?

that's BS.
the synchronizer assembly for 3rd and 4th (PN 1R3Z 7124-DA) is $159 retail

dunno what a 2nd hand 3650 costs back in the US now, but they go for about $1k or less here.

so if the cost of the actual disassembly and overhaul is more than $1k, you could consider that.

i would personally take it down and apart.. then decide based on how everything looks inside.
if the gears/bearings are fine, replace the synchros and call it a day
better than swapping out to a used tranny that may be on its way out as well :)

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Parts for the 3650 are readily available here in the states. As for shifting at 7500 or over........Not really gonna work that great on a Synchronized Transmission. Everything is spinning to quickly and it is very common to get a dead head and cause a grind!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
My 3650 never would engage 3rd when shifting over 6000 rpm. Had it disassembled and inspected and the builder said it looked immaculate. I got so disgusted with it I bought the T56 Magnum. The 3650 simply isn't designed for high horsepower or high rpm.

2010Mustang

Reaction score
that's BS.
the synchronizer assembly for 3rd and 4th (PN 1R3Z 7124-DA) is $159 retail

dunno what a 2nd hand 3650 costs back in the US now, but they go for about $1k or less here.

so if the cost of the actual disassembly and overhaul is more than $1k, you could consider that.

i would personally take it down and apart.. then decide based on how everything looks inside.
if the gears/bearings are fine, replace the synchros and call it a day
better than swapping out to a used tranny that may be on its way out as well :)

G.T .. I love you, Full homo.. :naughty1: jkjk.. Thanks a lot man! I really appreciate the information and the part number to what I possibly need!

Parts for the 3650 are readily available here in the states. As for shifting at 7500 or over........Not really gonna work that great on a Synchronized Transmission. Everything is spinning to quickly and it is very common to get a dead head and cause a grind!

That could be my problem to.. Thanks Nitro.. I'll keep an eye out to make sure when I shift and that I am 100% correct on what I told you.. You rock!

My 3650 never would engage 3rd when shifting over 6000 rpm. Had it disassembled and inspected and the builder said it looked immaculate. I got so disgusted with it I bought the T56 Magnum. The 3650 simply isn't designed for high horsepower or high rpm.

Hmm.. Interesting.. I mean I don't grind on any other gear and sometimes I do when driving normal or I just try to shift it quickly.. Which as long as the clutch is engaged it should slide into regardless I slide it into gear quickly right?

2010Mustang

Reaction score
I'm sorry.. I forgot asking questions was against the forums..

Thanks for the link though.. Answered my questions..

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
asking questions is totally reasonable. However we expect (in the rules actually) people to search first as many topics have been covered and solved many times.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My old trans did the same thing, and towards the end it would just lock me out of 3rd when I was racing. I just got a used trans on here with a aftermarket shifter and CHE K member brace with tq limiter and it was the best thing I could of done! Awesome combo! Highly recommend you doing the same.

Edit- I have my old tr3650 you could have for dirt cheap if you can find a good deal on a place that can fix the 3rd gear or build it up to hold more power.

Back