Hard to shift

Jello_08GT

Reaction score
08 GT shifter is a little hard to engage when fully stopped, sometimes when I put in reverse I have to go into 2nd or 3rd before it lets me put in the gear, this is same for 1st gear, I can feel car moving if I try to force the gear in. Stage 2 clutch was install wayyy back I can't remember precisely

Any input on what this could be ?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
did you replace the TOB when you did the clutch?

moooosestang

Reaction score
08 GT shifter is a little hard to engage when fully stopped, sometimes when I put in reverse I have to go into 2nd or 3rd before it lets me put in the gear, this is same for 1st gear, I can feel car moving if I try to force the gear in. Stage 2 clutch was install wayyy back I can't remember precisely

it is somewhat normal for it to be hard to get into reverse without first shifting into 3rd. It's also normal at least for my car for it to be tricky to get into 1st without the car completely stopped. If it's still hard to shift when stopped then the clutch is dragging. Does it grind at all when normal shifting?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score

Since you have an aftermarket clutch, it's almost certain the slave cylinder would need to be shimmed in order for it to extend far enough to reach the pressure plate fingers. It sounds to be like your clutch isn't completely disengaging when you depress the pedal and it's easy to find out if that's the case. With the car on a lift, one person needs to be inside the car to depress the clutch pedal while a second person observes the slave cylinder movement through the bellhousing inspection port.
While it's normal for 1st or reverse gear to grind a little if the car is still rolling very slowly, you should be able to engage the shifter into any gear when the car is at a dead stop.

moooosestang

Reaction score
Since you have an aftermarket clutch, it's almost certain the slave cylinder would need to be shimmed in order for it to extend far enough to reach the pressure plate fingers. It sounds to be like your clutch isn't completely disengaging when you depress the pedal and it's easy to find out if that's the case. With the car on a lift, one person needs to be inside the car to depress the clutch pedal while a second person observes the slave cylinder movement through the bellhousing inspection port.
While it's normal for 1st or reverse gear to grind a little if the car is still rolling very slowly, you should be able to engage the shifter into any gear when the car is at a dead stop.
I guess i got lucky with the spec flywheel and clutch. I didn't shim it and it worked flawlessly. It's the reason i went with another spec since i had their flywheel. I think people run into problems using the stock flywheel with aftermarket clutches.

moooosestang

Reaction score
How far back is way back? your slave could be leaking if it has a lot of miles. I mean they can leak when new i guess. Was it ever bled properly?

Also, the car will move forward a hair when you shift from neutral to 1st gear. That's perfectly normal.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back