Guess that clunk

bradleyem

forum member
Reaction score
Lots of tire spin, sucky reaction time, and a loud clunk when shifting...anyone care to guess what it is?

But it was my best run of the day 13.86 @ 100 MPH I was having alot of trouble with wheelspin and missed shifts...the 4.30s will take getting used to, and I REALLY need some drag radials now. Right lane #214

Timeslip3.jpg

09 Ricky

forum member
Reaction score
Its hard to tell.....but why did you let off way before the stripe??? Seems like you shut her down way to early based on your trap speed. The clunking may be from taking to long to shift, sounds like your stabbing the throttle in between shifts and your hearing the slop in the drive train. I never lift....smooth a glass lol.

Last edited:

funmoneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Its hard to tell.....but why did you let off way before the stripe??? Seems like you shut her down way to early based on your trap speed. The clunking may be from taking to long to shift, sounds like your stabbing the throttle in between shifts and your hearing the slop in the drive train. I never lift....smooth a glass lol.

If you had traction issues you would lift. If I powershift 1st to 2nd, I spin like I am on ice. That was before I bought my DR's. Hopefully this year I will be better.

I agree that you lifted waaaay too early. You haven't even passed the 1/4 mile yet in your vid.

I don't know about the clunking. I don't think it has anything to do with how you shift as it only happens that one time. Good luck figuring it out.

bradleyem

forum member
Reaction score
I just had 4.30s installed and had some issues with the pinion not being torqued properly when I first got my car back. It was making a clunk...clunk...clunk sound on coast. The guy who installed them took the car back, and fixed that. I still have some whine, but it's not bad, and when I checked the contact pattern it looked good. I was worried that the clunk might be a problem with the gears, but that was the only run that I heard it on.

I definately lifted too soon....I don't know if it was because I was worried about the noise and trashing my diff, or what. It made the noise on the 1-2 shift and on the 2-3 shift. You can hear it do it again slightly when I was off the track near the end of the video. I REALLY need to get some more track time in. This was my first time back to the track in 2 years and several events have been canceled this year because of rain. I want to move somewhere down south where the tracks are open year around.....

bradleyem

forum member
Reaction score
Looking at it closer at the end when I was off the track, the road was really uneven and bumpy...so it was probably suspension noise. And that may be what it was on the track too....the suspension unloading as the front end lifts....:question:

I'm thinking that with the mods that I have I should be in the mid to low 13 second range, correct? I guess my next mod needs to be a driver mod.....:asshat:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'm thinking your clunk is coming from the way you lift to shift. You should try a run where you keep at least 1/4 throttle when you push in the clutch. Or just go right to power shifting. I don't like a power shift myself, so hard on the car, but I'd be willing to bet if you will at least keep the RPM's above 3,000 when you shift, you won't get that clunk. Then again, I could be wrong. It has happened once or twice.

bradleyem

forum member
Reaction score
Well I would prefer to power shift, but I have not ever been able to power shift this car. I had no problem power shifting my fox even though the synchros were already on the way out when I got it. But between the crappy stock shifter and the movement in the driveline I just cant do it in this car. I think the reason that I lifted so much while shifting is because on the prior run I missed 3rd because I was into it too hard. So then I was concentrating on feathering it and not missing.....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

09 Ricky

forum member
Reaction score
Looking at it closer at the end when I was off the track, the road was really uneven and bumpy...so it was probably suspension noise. And that may be what it was on the track too....the suspension unloading as the front end lifts....:question:

I'm thinking that with the mods that I have I should be in the mid to low 13 second range, correct? I guess my next mod needs to be a driver mod.....:asshat:
With you mods you should be well in the 12's, I run low 13's with a higher trap then you and im stock, with stock pirellis. I do run the piss out of her but thats the point of taking the car to the track lol.....takes pratice though.....I love putting a woopin on a modded car's and they find out im stock lol.

ayabrego

Sprayed yaaa
Reaction score
I run a 13.7 with cai tune 2.0 60 ft. I am sorry but I am more concerned with your times than the clunk because I believe it is the way your shifting. I feel like your not shifting high enough you need to shift around 6200. Power shift too. Sounds like your shifting just normal in the video. Run that third gear all the way out!

G.T

Reaction score
hmm.. hard to tell without looking at the car but the first thing coming to mind is the engine and/or transmission mount

funmoneypit

forum member
Reaction score
hmm.. hard to tell without looking at the car but the first thing coming to mind is the engine and/or transmission mount

That would make a lot more sense than the suspension unloading and then loading. I have heard similar sounds (hard to tell with the video) with the trans mount broke.

bradleyem

forum member
Reaction score
I run a 13.7 with cai tune 2.0 60 ft. I am sorry but I am more concerned with your times than the clunk because I believe it is the way your shifting. I feel like your not shifting high enough you need to shift around 6200. Power shift too. Sounds like your shifting just normal in the video. Run that third gear all the way out!

Well, I have my shift light on my SCT set at 6200, and that's where I'm trying to shift....but as I mentioned above, I have never been able to power shift this car...it always misses although......

That would make a lot more sense than the suspension unloading and then loading. I have heard similar sounds (hard to tell with the video) with the trans mount broke.

Maybe I do have a problem with a transmission mount :question: This would certainly explain the excessive driveline movement and not being able to power shift. I have always had a bit of "jerkyness" when shifting. I thought that it might be the clutch or throw out bearing, but a broken mount might help explain that too.......I'll have to check that out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back