Help! Brake Pad Swap - Screwed Up Somehow

Ivan 5.0

Still learning...
Reaction score
So yesterday I swapped out my street pads to race pads. I've done this process 4 times and it's pretty straight forward (for a low-knowledge mechanic like myself).

I kept the same rotors (Centric) on the car and just swapped pads (from carbotech "street" to their race compound). I have the factory brembo calipers.

Sooo.... I managed to screw this up somehow. :thud:

We did the driver's front first. Forgetting that all you need to do is push the caliper pins out (DOH!), we removed the two caliper bolts and swung the caliper out, pushed the pins out, removed the shim, removed the pads, put the caliper back on the rotor, put in the new pads, put the shim back on, and slid in the pins.

Other side we didn't bother with removing the caliper. That was a lot faster. Rears were done easily as well - piston didnt need to be compressed and the new pads slid right in.

Anyhow, driving home I heard a grinding (metal on metal) sounding noise from the driver's front when I hit the brakes. Also heard a metallic noise when I turned the wheel 15 degrees (or more) to the right while driving. When I got home I checked the front driver's rotor and it looked a bit scored compared to the front passenger's rotor.

I didn't have a chance to snap pics (it was really late), and I'm at work now, but I attached my best graphical representation of what I referred to above as the "scoring" on the rotor. The 3 red lines in the graphic are what I would call "scratches" on the rotor - I can feel it with my finger. They were not there before we did the install.

What could I have messed up in the install? Would apprecaite your advise so I know what to look for when I get home.

Have an HPDE tomorrow :stooges:

Attachments

• rotor.jpg
    rotor.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Look for a rock or something? Is it on one or both sides of the rotor?

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Don't drive it if that's what you're thinking. Not worth ruining a rotor because those little prongs on the back of the pads will do some pretty good damage

Ivan 5.0

Still learning...
Reaction score
Don't drive it if that's what you're thinking. Not worth ruining a rotor because those little prongs on the back of the pads will do some pretty good damage

Thanks, Michael. Ya - I took the bus to work today. Gonna jack it up and check it all out this afternoon.

Hope this thread reminds folks to pay attention how they insert their pads :rant:

claudermilk

Reaction score
Sucks to hear this. I'm sure you will get it figured out. Your post did answer one question I had (and suspected the answer)--which is whether the Carbotech race pads & street pads can happily share a rotor.

Ivan 5.0

Still learning...
Reaction score
Your post did answer one question I had (and suspected the answer)--which is whether the Carbotech race pads & street pads can happily share a rotor.

Yes, they can, and it was the main reason I decided to go w/ Carbotech.

Ivan 5.0

Still learning...
Reaction score
So ya.... Easy fix. The outside pad was flipped the wrong way.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Why are Carbotech Pads switchible as compared to other pads?
Wish I had known this before buying HPS Hawk Pads.

My guess is the pads' chemical compositions are the same across the board, the stoichiometry just changes, therefore the transfer layers that get laid down on the rotors are reasonably similar.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Why are Carbotech Pads switchible as compared to other pads?
Wish I had known this before buying HPS Hawk Pads.

My guess is the pads' chemical compositions are the same across the board, the stoichiometry just changes, therefore the transfer layers that get laid down on the rotors are reasonably similar.

That's pretty much it. By using the same materials in different amounts the pads are compound compatible across their range.

claudermilk

Reaction score
That's pretty much it. By using the same materials in different amounts the pads are compound compatible across their range.
Just another reason to follow Vorshlag's lead and go with Carbotech. I'm going to be all about trying to make things as easy as possible as I leap feet first into the semi-deep end.

Smokievol

forum member
Reaction score
So if I wanted to switch over to Carbotech what problems would I have with the compounds from the Hawk HPS on the DBA rotors? I have about 1000 miles on the pads?

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
So if I wanted to switch over to Carbotech what problems would I have with the compounds from the Hawk HPS on the DBA rotors? I have about 1000 miles on the pads?

You'd need to turn the rotors or sand with 600+ grit to get the embedded compound off the rotor before bedding the carbotech pads.

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
So ya.... Easy fix. The outside pad was flipped the wrong way.

LOL. I'm always afraid of doing this. For some reason I put the pads in so automatically that I don't remember if I put them in the right way. So I have to recheck. The same thing when leaving the house, gotta check if I locked the door.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back