How to quiet exhaust and stop vibrations?

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
I have JBA log tubes, cold air intake, and pypes bombs. It's loud. I am thinking about some resonators to stop the resonance and drone. If I get rid of that it would be perfect as its not the volume that bugs me.

What resonators would be best? I want to weld some in with flanges on the mid pipe as that's where i have heard it sounds best from research.

Also if I wrap my header and OR/H pipe with header heat wrap will it quiet the vibrations in the car? It vibrates around the feet and front floor area by the headers.

Thanks for the help.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
If you plan on keeping the Bombs,, I think most go with Pypes M80's,

I was running mid-mounted SLP LM2's with Boomtubes and the exhaust volume was tolerable as long as I kept my foot off the gas and absolutely would wake the dead when I got on it. It was a tad raspy though.

That setup had a little drone at the 1900rom area,, I think all exhausts for these cars will have some drone.

I also ran a set of Vibrant bullet mufflers, those didn't muffle much, was raspy as shit but it sounded like a NASCAR when I went WFO ..

I still have both of those, and I need to (cough, cough) clean out my garage,, (cough) ..

I finally broke down and installed a set of Borla Stingers, those sound the best of any exhaust I had so far.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
If you plan on keeping the Bombs,, I think most go with Pypes M80's,

I was running mid-mounted SLP LM2's with Boomtubes and the exhaust volume was tolerable as long as I kept my foot off the gas and absolutely would wake the dead when I got on it. It was a tad raspy though.

That setup had a little drone at the 1900rom area,, I think all exhausts for these cars will have some drone.

I also ran a set of Vibrant bullet mufflers, those didn't muffle much, was raspy as shit but it sounded like a NASCAR when I went WFO ..

I still have both of those, and I need to (cough, cough) clean out my garage,, (cough) ..

I finally broke down and installed a set of Borla Stingers, those sound the best of any exhaust I had so far.

Mine is loud. No cats or resonators and a blower on top! Lmao.

I like the loudness just want a removeable option. Like mid mufflers which would be awesome the ones you recommend.

If I wrap my h pipe and header with header wrap will that take away the vibrations? I don't mean like shaking just the vibrant humming from the headers. I just want to quiet The cabin noise a bit.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Dynomax bullets are great for use as a resonator or mid muffler in a 2 muffler set up. Honestly a pair of MAgnaflows would really tone the volume down without hurting power.

Bullets here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-24215/overview/ If I remember correctly the holes on the inner tubes are flat, not louvered like a standard glass pack.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
How much would these tone done the noise level? I was thinking about buying another set of ford 2.5 inch exhast clamps.

Here is what I plan to do.

1. remove H pipe to exhast clamp and measure M80 back and mark pipe
2. cut the exhaust where the mark is.
3. clamp M80 to H pipe with factory clamps
4. clamp M80 to rear exhasust where I cut with 2 new factory clamps

How will this work out? I am thinking it will help sound levels.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
What about moving to an X pipe? I did that on mine, replacing the H, and the drone went down quite a bit. Not all the way gone, but it is noticeably less, especially on the highway.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Get new axlebacks. When I installed longtubes my pypebombs kept rattling at idle and low rpms. Couldn't get rid of the rattle and got tired of the loudness after a while anyways. Bombs' are great with OEM headers but once I switched the longtubes the rattles got to be too much.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
m80 mid mufflers should do it. worked well for me.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
What about moving to an X pipe? I did that on mine, replacing the H, and the drone went down quite a bit. Not all the way gone, but it is noticeably less, especially on the highway.

H sounds more muscular than X where as X would have a more exotic tone right? Also do I need a new dyno tune if I was to do that?

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
I am thinking about going back to flow masters. I used to have super 44's on it and then after putting on pypes bombs and putting on GT500 throttle body I gained 15 rwhp. I also ported my lid a little bit too.

I am kinda wondering if the axle back plays any role in HP. Do you guys think I will need a retune or lose any HP with the flow master american thunder axle backs? I heard they dont flow that well, and definitely not as good as the pypes.

Any thoughts on that guys?

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
I went ahead a put on flowmaster american thunders. 50% of the drone is gone now, about 30% reduction in sound levels. Still loud but i didnt realize how much i loved flowmaster sound until i put them on. i used to have flowmaster and changed them out for pypes but after 3 years of rasp and drone. I am loving the flowmasters.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
Glad that worked out for you. I am still running whatever comes stock on the car as far as a tune is concerned. The X, at least with my axle backs, sounds more refined. The Outlaws with an H are just way too loud and raspy, and the drone on the highway for more than 5 minutes makes you want to punch a baby in the throat.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
Where can I find the exhaust pipes from the H pipe that connect to the axle backs. Does anyone make these? Just those along. Mine had welded mufflers on it a long time ago and some of it was cut off and it's hard to keep axle backs on there.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
m80 mid mufflers should do it. worked well for me.

Yup same here. I have JBA long tubes with off-road h-pipes. Had horrible drone at highway cruising speeds.

Bought two M80 mufflers/resonators and staggered them as some members suggested and worked like magic!

So one m80 is right after the h-pipe and the other one is right before the axle over pipe.

It will quiet down the exhaust just enough to enjoy local driving but still loud when you gun it.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
Where can I find the exhaust pipes from the H pipe that connect to the axle backs. Does anyone make these? Just those along. Mine had welded mufflers on it a long time ago and some of it was cut off and it's hard to keep axle backs on there.

A good exhaust shop should be able to make these for you if you cannot find them anywhere.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Also my JBA long tube hits the pass. k-member because of the soft stock motor mounts. This causes vibration when turning and over bumps.

I'll be installing the BMR k-member to clear them better.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
Anytime I rev the engine between 2000 and 3000 RPMs and hold it there gently I feel like the engine is vibrating.

Like I can feel a slight shake through the car and I can feel it in the shifter knob too, it's not like it's misfiring or anything is just a slight vibration and it's not smooth like the car used to be. Could this be the fact that I have a lightweight flywheel?

I am trying to figure out why i cant cruise around 2700 rpms without feeling this slight shake or vibration.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Not to sound to weird or anything... Are your engine and trans mounts still in great shape? Not to the eye, but in actual function...

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Anytime I rev the engine between 2000 and 3000 RPMs and hold it there gently I feel like the engine is vibrating.

Like I can feel a slight shake through the car and I can feel it in the shifter knob too, it's not like it's misfiring or anything is just a slight vibration and it's not smooth like the car used to be. Could this be the fact that I have a lightweight flywheel?

I am trying to figure out why i cant cruise around 2700 rpms without feeling this slight shake or vibration.

I just took my H-pipe off and put it back on and now I have a small vibration at a certain RPM. I know where it's at so I'm not that worried. My suggestion would be to loosen up the exhaust and make sure everything is lined up correctly first then tighten it up. More than likely the exhaust is in a slight bind. Make sure the hangers by the trans are in the middle of the rubber and not cocked to one side. That's where my issue is right now. This weekend I'll re-align everything.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back