Ideas quieting exhaust down?

Silverrider

forum member
Reaction score
i know, i wish i would have just not bought the m80's... lol, driving a couple times after i installed the headers... might just be trying to send the m80's back to summit! lol

Ray721

Black 06 GT
Reaction score
I just bought MAC axel backs. For my car and all I can say is oops. Driving under 2000rpm is impossible! I still have my Kooks long tubes and X pipe to put on. Looks like I'll be in the market for something quieter.

It's a shame though because they sound AMAZING outside the car. Just completely intolerable inside.

08fordgt

forum member
Reaction score
I just bought MAC axel backs. For my car and all I can say is oops. Driving under 2000rpm is impossible! I still have my Kooks long tubes and X pipe to put on. Looks like I'll be in the market for something quieter.

It's a shame though because they sound AMAZING outside the car. Just completely intolerable inside.

Lol. Oops!
I know how you feel.

08fordgt

forum member
Reaction score
Got my 3" exhaust in today. If its too loud I will weld in some resonators. If its not loud enough I will be getting some Borla ataks or more magnapacks. And if they r too loud, I will put in resonators. Easier to tone it down after you get the tone you want.
4a33e021-9fd3-764e.jpg
4a33e021-9fdf-2274.jpg
4a33e021-9feb-7fe6.jpg

conexion914

forum member
Reaction score
I just picked up a set of Borla Touring axle backs and they are definitely quiet. Still a good tone though. I have stock manifolds, pypes o/r x pipe and steeda axle backs before. My girl picked up an 06 and loved the sound of the steedas with an h pipe in some videos she found so we swapped.

The borlas are quiet and there is no more trumpeting from the x pipe. With the steedas i would trumpet right at 2500 and with my converter i was always in the range of that.

If you like i can take a video of the borlas i have now and post it up for you.

08fordgt

forum member
Reaction score
I just picked up a set of Borla Touring axle backs and they are definitely quiet. Still a good tone though. I have stock manifolds, pypes o/r x pipe and steeda axle backs before. My girl picked up an 06 and loved the sound of the steedas with an h pipe in some videos she found so we swapped.

The borlas are quiet and there is no more trumpeting from the x pipe. With the steedas i would trumpet right at 2500 and with my converter i was always in the range of that.

If you like i can take a video of the borlas i have now and post it up for you.

Video! Do u really have to ask? Lol.

Agent007

forum member
Reaction score
Just finished installing ARH Lt's and Mac OR Prochamber, Moroso Spiral Flow Mufflers and dumps.... Sounds like a train. I can't wait to extend the exhaust out the rear of my mustang so it sounds normal again! LOL

Davenow

forum member
Reaction score
FYI GT500 mufflers are just Automatic GT mufflers. Dont but those for $229 lol if you really want a set Ill sell you my stock muffers for a hundred bucks.

As for quieting your car down.

I have JBA LTs, high flow cat H pipe, Pypes M80s mounted before the axle and Flowmaster American Thunder axlebacks, and its entirely reasonable.

The ONLY reason I needed the M80s, was because when I did the cams, it got ridiculously loud. Now with those, its really nice. Loud, but not too loud. (actually, I could stand for it to be a TOUCH louder)

I would add a pair of M80s in mid pipe and call it a day. I paid 90something shipped from Jegs for mine, and paid a muffler shop $100 to weld them in.

BadAndy

Reaction score
I just put on the Nxt Steps last night. One side fit perfect, the other not so much. I need to get under there this weekend and straighten it out. I will take a video then.

There is zero drone at all. Its actually quieter than I thought it would be being thats its a straight through design. I have some cherry bomb glass packs and m80s under there so they are helping to deepen the tone already. Idle is very deep and throaty. At partial and full throttle its a really really deep v8 tone. No rasp at all. With your x pipe I think yours will sound different. The finish on these mufflers is amazing. Its a mirror finish.

Here is pic I snapped. Stockers, AT flowmasters, and Nxt Step

I have the Pro Chamber splice-in mid pipe and AeroChamber mufflers on my '06 right now and like it but have been looking for something different that doesn't drone as much. After hearing a few clips of the NXT mufflers I was sold! I've got a set on the way to me right now and I should have them on by Tuesday afternoon.

I wouldn't have known about the NXT axleback if you hadn't mentioned them so, thanks!!

HEAVY METAL THUNDER

forum member
Reaction score
I have the mac LT's and prochamber just like you are putting on but I also have magnaflow cats welded into the midpipe and it really wasn't THAT loud. (I say "wasn't" cause I have since added cams). It was the perfect "responsible adult but likes muscle cars" volume. Btw I run mac mufflers. So you may want to consider the magnaflow cats. Here it is before adding cams...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZKEsxlMz6c

It did get much louder after adding a set of hot rod cams but, it's okay cause it's not a daily driver anymore.

Here it is after the cams...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaceE5Vdaxs

Hope this helps some

Cammed 05

Always happy
Reaction score
Mac lt's, Prohamber and m80's here with hot rods. It's not that loud IMO. The h pipe was 10x louder. Tbh it got quieter adding lt's. I was dissapointed, but has a very nice deep clean sound to it.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Quieting down exhaust!? what is this I can't don't evenfgdhgvfhjhv

08fordgt

forum member
Reaction score
I finally got a day off so I can put my 3" nxt step headerback system on. I hope it's not too loud, but not too quiet.
But I have a final with four essay questions, a regular essay, and a presentation I have to do today before class tonight too...
I wonder which I'll do first... Lol.

BadAndy

Reaction score
I installed the NXT axleback on my car yesterday afternoon. It sounds good but unfortunately, it actually drones a little more than the Hooker AeroChambers. Ugh...

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score
I'm running Long Tubes, OR H, and MACs. I LOVE the sound, but it is deafening on the inside, and drones pretty bad. I'm thinking of throwing the stockers back on, and having my exhaust shop weld up custom side pipes with cutouts (ala Boss 302).

This is how she sounds now:

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Did the M80s change anyones tone very much? I absolutely love my Stingers, but they are pretty loud in the cabin. I'd like to quiet it down a bit, but leave the tone alone...

08fordgt

forum member
Reaction score
I installed the NXT axleback on my car yesterday afternoon. It sounds good but unfortunately, it actually drones a little more than the Hooker AeroChambers. Ugh...

Everybody waited till I put mine on b4 somebody says they drone, great! Lol. Oh well.
I put on their 3" kit today. Just let me say- I would not recommend their 3" system to anybody.
The fit sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it hangs low.

tumbler

Reaction score
Did the M80s change anyones tone very much? I absolutely love my Stingers, but they are pretty loud in the cabin. I'd like to quiet it down a bit, but leave the tone alone...

I've got an offroad x-pipe and the M80s before a Corsa touring axle back... the M80's toned it down quite a bit... it's still got a nice throaty tone but I don't feel like it sounds real "mean" anymore...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back