Import guy converted over - New guy

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
Welcome. Like you, I was all about imports until I drove the 09 Bullitt I just bought. I came out of a bone stock 07 Scion TC 5sp. Big difference!

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Welcome. Like you, I was all about imports until I drove the 09 Bullitt I just bought. I came out of a bone stock 07 Scion TC 5sp. Big difference!

Yea that's a huge difference!

Welcome. I had a bunch of 500+hp DSMs and Evos before going domestic. No regrets.

No regrets so far either! Loving it, very very happy overall with the car.

Bigmack2012Gb

Roll Racer
Reaction score
Welcome. I came from from a 95 awd turbo talon. I loved that car Until i hit the 400awhp mark and it started breaking all the time. I switched to a few cars from then but finally came into my new 5.0. Best choice i made!

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Welcome. I came from from a 95 awd turbo talon. I loved that car Until i hit the 400awhp mark and it started breaking all the time. I switched to a few cars from then but finally came into my new 5.0. Best choice i made!

Yea, I feel you there. That sounds like my RX8 situation. Granted, it was never fast, but once I started doing just basic bolt ons the car just didn't like it. The Honda was fun and reliable as the sun, but the mustang is definately where it's at. Even in stock form, this car is a blast.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I've been doing quite a bit of reading. Please bear in mind, I'm still learning about our cars, so after doing some reading over the past few days, I've come up with a couple questions.

I've been reading up on intakes (as much as I could find). I ran a few searches and weeded through a bunch of irrelevant threads, but what I've noticed is JLT seems to be the common choice for an intake.

My question that I couldn't seem to answer by basic searching was are there significant changes between the series 1,2, & 3 aside from looks? Reason being is there are quite a few in the for sale threads and I would like to know the differences between them.

Next question, please correct me if I'm misunderstanding, this intake requires a tune right?

If no, ignore my question. If yes, do our cars need a tuning device or is this something a local performance shop could do for me? For example, my Si needed whats called a flashpro to tune, does our car also need a tuning device?

That's where I'm at right now, on the winter hit list is a decent intake setup and an axleback; nothing crazy for now.

Thanks for any input.

ROUSH06GA

forum member
Reaction score
yes it will require a tune. Best thing to do is buy a Sct tuner/others and have a email tune for the boltons by one of the rep vendors on this site or have it tuned locally on a dyno.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Yep, get an SCT Device. They're only around $350, but ask vendors for the forum discount codes and you can save 5% and usually get free shipping. Less than half of what the FlashPro costs AND, the SCT, if bought from American Muscle and a couple of other places, will include tunes for life. They will write you three tunes for YOUR car and then, as long as you're N/A, update them for new parts you put on your car. All in the purchase price of the tuner.

With FlashPro, I had to learn how to tune my SI myself because it was so frikkin expensive getting the tuner and then, having someone decent write a tune for my car. And then, every time I added a new part to the SI, you had to pay for a tune all over again.

1bad65

forum member
Reaction score
Doing the intake/tune as the first mod is a good way to go. On these cars I always suggest for the first mod either an intake/tune or gears.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
Get 4.10 gears, its the best bang for the buck mod in my opinion, especially if you couple that with an intake and a tuner. I owned a 99 SI a few years ago and it had some very close ratios. You can get a similar ratio with the 4.10 gears, with the exception of 5th gear which is still largely an overdrive gear. With the SI, I was going 70 mph at like 4000 RPM :( ugh. The 4.10 gears are like 2200 RPM at 70 mph. Also as for bolt on potential, I dynoed a hair over 300 whp (stock engine is rated for 300 at the CRANK!) with just an intake and 93 octane dyno-tune by JPC (forum sponsor). The only regrets I have from going from a fwd import to a mustang has been rain and snow driving and the gas mileage, but since I use a 87 octane tune for my day to day driving it costs about the same as a WRX, 350z, or RX8. I get about 15 mpg city 21 highway with the 4.10 gears, I lost about 1 mpg overall with the gears but the performance is worth it.

Last edited:

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Great suggestion guys, thanks for all the help! I will look into gears, I've heard of them (local mustang owner has them) but haven't really looked into it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back