Important note on header install!

Rick@Amazon

Reaction score
We just finished up another American Racing 2011 GT header install this week and found out something pretty interesting. The early 2011 gt's had coarse thread header bolds and the later ones had a fine thread header bolt. They are both 10mm so be carefull and find out which thread is on your car when ordering. Also some cars need extenders and some don't.
P3170016.jpg

P3170015.jpg

P3170017.jpg

Blownblu03

forum member
Reaction score
Did you totally drop the K-member or did you fight with it and jack the engine? I am finding it hard to chew that I might have to remove the K-member on a brand new car.
I'm awaiting the delivery of my 2012 so I will see what the bolts are on that too.

Jim Vaccaro

forum member
Reaction score
Did you totally drop the K-member or did you fight with it and jack the engine? I am finding it hard to chew that I might have to remove the K-member on a brand new car.
I'm awaiting the delivery of my 2012 so I will see what the bolts are on that too.

I watched the tech @ Mustang Magic install my ARH long tubes and he had no problems with k member or jacking up or down

linnE

forum member
Reaction score

Nope I raised the engine 1.5", remove the motor mounts, steering shaft and starter.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
We just finished up another American Racing 2011 GT header install this week and found out something pretty interesting. The early 2011 gt's had coarse thread header bolds and the later ones had a fine thread header bolt. They are both 10mm so be carefull and find out which thread is on your car when ordering. Also some cars need extenders and some don't.
P3170016.jpg

P3170015.jpg

P3170017.jpg

i assume you are talking about the bolts to conect the headers to the heads because the bolts that conect to the X or H pipe comes with the headers right???

Sorry for the question but i want to make sure those bolts that came with my headers are the correct ones.

Blownblu03

forum member
Reaction score
I was planning on reusing the factory hardware and leaving in the factory studs if possible. I am going to also reuse the stock gaskets.

Rick@Amazon

Reaction score
i assume you are talking about the bolts to conect the headers to the heads because the bolts that conect to the X or H pipe comes with the headers right???

Sorry for the question but i want to make sure those bolts that came with my headers are the correct ones.

Yes sir, the ones that bolt the header to the heads. Just remove one stud to check the threads.

Rick@Amazon

Reaction score
is it possible to use the stock hardware???? i will buy new stock gascket but i dont know about the bolts....

On our car I used the studs with the stainless works headers. AR said to use the bolts supplied with the kit. On your MLS gasket you can use a little Ultra copper. That stuff is the bomb.

Blownblu03

forum member
Reaction score
Why would you even need the ultra copper? When I installed headers on my 03 cobra, I bought new header gaskets and just reused the factory hardware, no leaks in 6 yr's!

Rick@Amazon

Reaction score
Why would you even need the ultra copper? When I installed headers on my 03 cobra, I bought new header gaskets and just reused the factory hardware, no leaks in 6 yr's!

I used it to hold the gasket in place since we used header bolts and not the studs.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
P3170016.jpg

P3170015.jpg

P3170017.jpg

DAMN IT !!!! I am one of those who need O2 extension.

i try to move the cables everywhere but i still short on the passenger side second sensor by the X pipe.

But damn these headers just transformed my car into a mean beast. is too loud now,,,hahahah

These sensor has a different plug than the front sensors. Does anybody sell extensions for these ones??

Blownblu03

forum member
Reaction score
After what happen to beefcake here on the sight, I am going to soder and heat shrink extenions onto the sensor to lengthen them.

Blownblu03

forum member
Reaction score
You can do that but I rather not chance it and lengthen the wires on the sensor, not the cars harness.

Rick@Amazon

Reaction score
You can do that but I rather not chance it and lengthen the wires on the sensor, not the cars harness.

I've done that before and it works great. It's best to use a barrel connecter then crimp and solder it with shrink tube. This is what comes with most all ford pig tails.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back