In the market for a supercharger - Any tips?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
To be completely honest with you, I don't have a backup plan. That's why I was wanting to stay at a safe power level. I really want to be supercharged, but do you think it is smarter to just get cammed?

Abdulla has his motor let go at ~450whp with a whipple and he wasn't even beating the snot out of it. Then we have some guys running around with ~520whp for years. It's a crapshoot. Cams are probably safer but hey, anything can go horrifically wrong. Just remember that as soon as you start to modify things, reliability goes out the window.

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
Abdulla has his motor let go at ~450whp with a whipple and he wasn't even beating the snot out of it. Then we have some guys running around with ~520whp for years. It's a crapshoot. Cams are probably safer but hey, anything can go horrifically wrong. Just remember that as soon as you start to modify things, reliability goes out the window.

Yeah, is definitely true. I figure that I would be making 350 rwhp TOPS with a cam and my mods in sig, so if I had a blowout on that I would be flabbergasted.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Yeah, is definitely true. I figure that I would be making 350 rwhp TOPS with a cam and my mods in sig, so if I had a blowout on that I would be flabbergasted.

All it takes is a bad tune honestly. You can make 250whp and still blow your motor.

FYI, I made 299whp with intake, cams, o/r H, and axlebacks.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To be completely honest with you, I don't have a backup plan. That's why I was wanting to stay at a safe power level. I really want to be supercharged, but do you think it is smarter to just get cammed?

Since my daughter is in college right now...I won't tell you what I would tell her if she was a he. :)

I will tell you that hot rod cams or equivelent would be the safest way to go. You will pick up a meaner sounding car and a few ponies. Bama has probably tuned for about a million of them, so should be able to run a safe tune. Keep money in your car fund...guys have blown there motor with less.

Never ever ever take a student loan and put that money in the car...ever.

Last edited:

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
what cams were you running?

As far as the tuner, are you familiar with Eric Brooks/BrooksSpeed? He's the admin of the modularfords site I think, and he lives a couple hours from me. I hear he's pretty good so if I get a dyno tune I'll get one from him. With my sig mods, I'm just running a Bama tune though.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
what cams were you running?

As far as the tuner, are you familiar with Eric Brooks/BrooksSpeed? He's the admin of the modularfords site I think, and he lives a couple hours from me. I hear he's pretty good so if I get a dyno tune I'll get one from him. With my sig mods, I'm just running a Bama tune though.

Hot rod cams with a BAMA tune. Unless you're going to change the valve springs (or get longtubes), you're not going to pick up much more power regardless of the cam.

Also listen to weather man. I'm way closer to his daughter's age and your age (than his, I presume) but I've learned the lesson he's trying to teach here. And I learned it the hard way! (Granted I didn't take loans out to fund my car but I did get in over my head and like you, it started at $3000 and ended up closer to $12000--I managed to make it there debt-free but I would be lying if I said there weren't MANY MANY moments of regret).

If you get the hot rods, the upside is you can get BAMA to update your tune and it will be pretty spot on. Mine was dead on and drove great. It was so dead on that when I took it to the dyno, the tuner told me to keep my money because it's making all the power it can and safely.

If you go forced induction, DO NOT GET A BAMA TUNE. They sent me a tune that almost sent my pistons into the stratosphere.

Last edited:

t-kid

forum member
Reaction score
OP, you still need to do fuel, a clutch, a tune, etc...

Just cam it and put a 100 shot on it. Plus bitches love nitrous, makes them think your car is fast.

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
Since my daughter is in college right now...I won't tell you what I tell her if she was a he. :)

I will tell you that hot rod cams or equivelent would be the safest way to go. You will pick up a meaner sounding car and a few ponies. Bama has probably tuned for about a million of them, so should be able to run a safe tune. Keep money in your car fund...guys have blown there motor with less.

Never ever ever take a student loan and put that money in the car...ever.

That's why I have separate accounts. I have about a grand in cash right now that I could put towards cams. I am not touching my savings though.

Hot rod cams with a BAMA tune. Unless you're going to change the valve springs (or get longtubes), you're not going to pick up much more power regardless of the cam.

Also listen to weather man. I'm way closer to his daughter's age and your age (than his, I presume) but I've learned the lesson he's trying to teach here. And I learned it the hard way! (Granted I didn't take loans out to fund my car but I did get in over my head and like you, it started at $3000 and ended up closer to $12000--I managed to make it there debt-free but I would be lying if I said there weren't MANY MANY moments of regret).
That still seems to be on the low end of the spectrum. I could always get some VSR cams, but I'll have to read up on them more. Or, I could do longtubes and cams at the same time.
OP, you still need to do fuel, a clutch, a tune, etc...

Just cam it and put a 100 shot on it. Plus bitches love nitrous, makes them think your car is fast.
A BAP wouldn't suffice for 420 rwhp? Tune would be $500, and I hadn't looked into a clutch.

I have a friend with a saleen supercharged 4.6 making about 530 rwhp and he raves about nitrous too. I don't know that I like it though.

t-kid

forum member
Reaction score
A BAP wouldn't suffice for 420 rwhp? Tune would be $500, and I hadn't looked into a clutch.

I have a friend with a saleen supercharged 4.6 making about 530 rwhp and he raves about nitrous too. I don't know that I like it though.

Even if you get a BAP, You'll still need injectors, and a new clutch. That's an easy $850 or so assuming you're doing the install yourself.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If u put a blower in be prepared to pay for a motor

Use the search function, this topic as been covered adnaseum, this is a tough crowd have expect smart ass comments to dumb shit

You, sir, need to get off your high horse. You've been on this site for 3 months. I understand the basics of posting, I just posted in the wrong section. You can probably find something more constructive to do with your time than to correct everything I do. :)

And he learned how the board operates, you should too. We encourage the members to self police.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
If money is an issue a supercharger should not be in the picture, anything can happen.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The best advice would be keep your car stock etc, etc, but you aren't looking for life advice. You want to know how to get the most bang for the buck. It sounds like you will be boosted at some time in the future. Almost everyone who asks about it ends up doing it.

I've been down the path a few times. I think you are looking for a base to start with that can be built upon in the future.

IMO a centrifigal would be the best starting place. Get a Vortech or Paxton tuner kit, hit the classifieds and ebay for injectors and a bap. Buy a lightning iat sensor and pigtail. You already have a tuner. Get with Eric and figure out what a tune will cost. Your stock clutch should last awhile with a centri.

Build on it from there. Piece together a diy intercooler and start saving for a clutch. Once you have the clutch add boost and decide where you want to take it.

That's my suggestion anyway. There is alot of forced induction experience on this board and I'm sure you will get some different viewpoints.

Dillon Dollar

forum member
Reaction score
get a vortech and build your own intercooler setup it can make more power down the road and if this is more or less your DD it will be reliable !!

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
The best advice would be keep your car stock etc, etc, but you aren't looking for life advice. You want to know how to get the most bang for the buck. It sounds like you will be boosted at some time in the future. Almost everyone who asks about it ends up doing it.

I've been down the path a few times. I think you are looking for a base to start with that can be built upon in the future.

IMO a centrifigal would be the best starting place. Get a Vortech or Paxton tuner kit, hit the classifieds and ebay for injectors and a bap. Buy a lightning iat sensor and pigtail. You already have a tuner. Get with Eric and figure out what a tune will cost. Your stock clutch should last awhile with a centri.

Build on it from there. Piece together a diy intercooler and start saving for a clutch. Once you have the clutch add boost and decide where you want to take it.

That's my suggestion anyway. There is alot of forced induction experience on this board and I'm sure you will get some different viewpoints.

get a vortech and build your own intercooler setup it can make more power down the road and if this is more or less your DD it will be reliable !!
This sounds like a good way to do it, but all this talk about blowing my engine has me feeling like as soon as I boosted it, I would throw a rod or something. Guess I'll have to see how my job searching turns out and see what my income will be.

notastockdohc

forum member
Reaction score
Man anything can happen at any time. Bad gas can cause you to pop a piston. I put a vortech v1 strim, on my 1996 4v cobra, I was pushing 12psi, well over 400hp. I was making 450+hp at the wheel. Everyone I mean everyone said I would throw a rod. I took it got it dyno tuned ect. I ran it like that for 3yrs on stock motor, made many track passes. FYI the motor in my cobra was stock. I sold it a while back it is still running with 130k miles on it. Don't be scarred. Keep boost low under 10psi, hp under 450 and I think you okay.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
This sounds like a good way to do it, but all this talk about blowing my engine has me feeling like as soon as I boosted it, I would throw a rod or something. Guess I'll have to see how my job searching turns out and see what my income will be.

You might lose your motor. It's more likely to happen with forced induction.

hollywood54

forum member
Reaction score
Going through what I have I would have done it the right way. Take that money I put it into forging your engine. Build from the ground up. Set your engine up for the future its cheaper to do it now then have your block go and have to rebuild everything.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back