In the market for a supercharger - Any tips?

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First off, I just hopped over from mustangforums. This site looks to be a lot more active, which is great. I hope to learn a lot!

Now, the basics. I am a college kid, so money is an issue. I have a budget of about $3000 for the supercharger. I want to achieve a safe power level, which is about 420-440 RWHP from what I hear. I am currently looking at the Roush M90 with a 2.57 pulley and a Steeda CAI. Most dyno numbers I see put that setup in the safe range. However, I could probably get a Vortech for cheaper. Do you guys have any advice for/against a roots style blower? The centrifugal Vortech won't make boost right away, right?

I hope this is the right section.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First off, I just hopped over from mustangforums. This site looks to be a lot more active, which is great. I hope to learn a lot!

Now, the basics. I am a college kid, so money is an issue. I have a budget of about $3000 for the supercharger. I want to achieve a safe power level, which is about 420-440 RWHP from what I hear. I am currently looking at the Roush M90 with a 2.57 pulley and a Steeda CAI. Most dyno numbers I see put that setup in the safe range. However, I could probably get a Vortech for cheaper. Do you guys have any advice for/against a roots style blower? The centrifugal Vortech won't make boost right away, right?

The mods really hate it when you double post, but other than that your doing great! :)

Welcome to the forum by the way!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Centrifigal superchargers are linear in boost. You have it right, as rpms go up so does boost.

You could send a pm to beefcake on this forum for the best price anywhere on a new Paxton or Vortech.

If you aren't in a big hurry I'll have a slightly used non-intercooled Paxton up for sale in a few weeks.

Someone has a Roush M90 in the for sale section for $2500.

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
Here it comes....

dont we already have 50 centri vs PD blower threads?
The purpose of this thread is to ask if there is a setup that would better suit the goals that I have laid out in the OP.
For some unknown reason he didn't read my post to his post in tech.
You, sir, need to get off your high horse. You've been on this site for 3 months. I understand the basics of posting, I just posted in the wrong section. You can probably find something more constructive to do with your time than to correct everything I do. :)
Centrifigal superchargers are linear in boost. You have it right, as rpms go up so does boost.

You could send a pm to beefcake on this forum for the best price anywhere on a new Paxton or Vortech.

If you aren't in a big hurry I'll have a slightly used non-intercooled Paxton up for sale in a few weeks.

Someone has a Roush M90 in the for sale section for $2500.

Thank you for the first relevant post since I've joined this site.

What company does beefcake represent?

I am still saving up a little bit, so I am not in a huge hurry right now.

The setup you are referring to sold last night I think. 808muscle sent me the link to it and someone sent the payment this morning I believe. It sucked having to watch it sell lol.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You, sir, need to get off your high horse. You've been on this site for 3 months. I understand the basics of posting, I just posted in the wrong section. You can probably find something more constructive to do with your time than to correct everything I do. :)

As you've noticed, there aren't 20 questions in a row on what the best header is. I joined this forum because it is a well run professional site. The guys take tech serious here and the reaction you got in tech was mild. Use the search button and don't expect to be spoon fed and you will do great.

BEEFCAKE is a vendor in the vendor section

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I am a college kid, so money is an issue.

Best tip:

PickYourCreditCard.jpg

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
Best tip:

http://lenpenzo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/PickYourCreditCard.jpg[/I nnMG][/QUOTE]
That went over my head. what do you mean exactly? Apply for a credit card lol? I have a checking account, but it's for tuition, food, books, etc. The money I am putting aside for the supercharger is in a separate account. If I am following the wrong track here, correct me, but if you are saying that I should finance a supercharger, I could get a used one for much less.

t-kid

forum member
Reaction score
You want to supercharge a car with "limited funds".

Why not save your cash and do it right the first time

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
That went over my head. what do you mean exactly? Apply for a credit card lol? I have a checking account, but it's for tuition, food, books, etc. The money I am putting aside for the supercharger is in a separate account. If I am following the wrong track here, correct me, but if you are saying that I should finance a supercharger, I could get a used one for much less.

I'm saying $3000 for 440whp isn't going to cut it. It might be enough to get a blower and maybe get it on a dyno. But you won't be able to get any supporting mods for it.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
Save up money and do it right. There will be more things come along that you'll need or want to do to finish it and make it right. Centris make awesome power and make plenty of power down low. I raced a KB cobra a couple weeks ago and he only pulled me about 1 and 1/2 cars and didn't pull on me til about 100

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
I'm saying $3000 for 440whp isn't going to cut it. It might be enough to get a blower and maybe get it on a dyno. But you won't be able to get any supporting mods for it.

Well that's what I was asking. A Roush M90 kit sold on here for $2500 just today. Add in a few hundred for a smaller pulley and a Steeda CAI, and $500 for a dyno tune, and I'm sitting around $3000-$3300 installed, 420-430 rwhp. I think that that route is feasible, but I was wondering if there were any other avenues to consider.

edit: ^^^ What kinds of things? If I remember correctly, a guy on mustang forums sold a V3 HO kit for $2700 a while back. Do you have any supporting mods with your setup? I actually had a vortech V3 tuner kit a while back but I sold it to make car payments. I had a hell of a deal on it too. I had a full kit that I pieced together for around $1500 total. Sounds crazy, but I did it.

Last edited:

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Well that's what I was asking. A Roush M90 kit sold on here for $2500 just today. Add in a few hundred for a smaller pulley and a Steeda CAI, and $500 for a dyno tune, and I'm sitting around $3000-$3300 installed, 420-430 rwhp. I think that that route is feasible, but I was wondering if there were any other avenues to consider.

Well you might want to factor in tires if you don't have some good ones already.

I'm saying you shouldn't be considering a blower in the $3000 range unless you've got all the other supporting mods taken care of (or know that you can get them taken care of soon). Chances are you'll need new sparkplugs, coolant, etc, it all adds up very quickly.

As far as what you're asking, at least in your original post, is something that has been beaten to death. The pros and cons are obvious (if they are not, just do a quick search and you will find all the information you need). No one can tell you what's better for you. Saying you want 420-440whp is meaningless because you can get there with any power adder or even without.

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
Buy that p1 in the classifieds
I'll go check it out. I glanced over it earlier but I'll look closer.
^^^^^That!!! http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83464

Also if funds are limited I'd start putting together a GT500 Dept. of Boost setup! Nothing like the Eaton whine!!!

I was reading the thread about it on the other forum, but 200+ pages got a little daunting lol. I will probably have a bunch of guys telling me to use the search function, but do you know where a link to the DOB manifold can be bought? The total cost on that setup was pretty cheap too if I remember correctly.

edit: ^^^I just put a set of NT555s on the rear about a week ago. I have some HT0 sparkplugs already lying around.

The question I meant to ask was basically "is there a better way to make this power given this budget?"

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^^^That!!! http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83464

Also if funds are limited I'd start putting together a GT500 Dept. of Boost setup! Nothing like the Eaton whine!!!

If your mechanically inclined, the above is not a bad way to go.

If you buys a used system, have the funds to get the head unit inspected. Putting a used head unit on a car without absolutely knowing it is in good shape is asking for it.

Do you have a plan if you grenade your car with the mods. Do you absolutely need a car for college or can it sit for months while you save to fix it. You start modding and murphy starts looking over your shoulder.

BEEFCAKE had a screamer deal on VORTEC Tuner kits a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
The question I meant to ask was basically "is there a better way to make this power given this budget?"

Well to be honest, the cheapest way is nitrous oxide. After that, I would say centrifugals are generally cheaper but you knew that already. My point was just that just because a blower sold for $2500 and you have $3000 doesn't mean it's going to work out. Things always go over budget in this realm so just be ready for it. There would be nothing worse than spending $3500 and then running out of money to make it all work.

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
To be completely honest with you, I don't have a backup plan. That's why I was wanting to stay at a safe power level. I really want to be supercharged, but do you think it is smarter to just get cammed?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back