It's time to play what's that noise!

CMK720

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, so the story goes I got my gears changed from 3.55 to 4.10s about two months ago. Ever since the gears changed I got this noise, it's really f'in annoying too. What do you think it is?

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Did you do anything else to the car at the time of install, or after?

gil_t2

Reaction score
I would just take it back to the installer, and tell him to fix=it. Don't wait !!! I could tell you what i think, but it would mean nothing. you gota take it back.

Tbone

forum member
Reaction score
Please share, always interested in the results so if it happens to me Ill have a place to start looking!
Plus 4.10s are in the very near future for me, well that or headers and o/r h pipe, probably something I should check when Im under there.

Agent007

forum member
Reaction score
X2^^^ Going 4.10's in a couple of weeks and it would be nice to have a solution to your problem on hand just in case I have the same problem!

CMK720

forum member
Reaction score
I would just take it back to the installer, and tell him to fix=it. Don't wait !!! I could tell you what i think, but it would mean nothing. you gota take it back.

That's just the problem even the installer has no idea what it is. They even put a different gear set in There and its Not going away. So I was hoping someone on here could help me out!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ahh the importance of a good gear installer. Thats why Ive used CJ Pony Parts for my 8.8's and Currie for my 9"

gil_t2

Reaction score
I am not busting on your installer, but he missed something! Did he reuse any parts, like bearings or crush sleeve? It sounds like pinion bearing loose to me, Could be a DS not seated flush with flange.

NickS

slow3v
Reaction score
Some sort of bearing, definitely. Maybe even a wheel bearing.

CMK720

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking a bearing too but who knows. They were thinking a cracked differential but how could it not make noise with the 3.55s and as soon as the 4.10's went it, it happened?

Mahstang

Reaction score
Sounds like a helicopter. I just swapped out my 3.55s for 4.10s. Before the swap I had a rotational humming sort of sound coming from the rear end. I had the shop change my carrier bearings while doing the gear install and the noise went away. I can't tell what your noise is though...it seriously just sounds like a helicopter to me...

svtadam27

forum member
Reaction score
Do you know what the fluid looked, and the condition of the other gear set? It sounds just like a pinion that's worn, or pinion bearing, could be the housing is messed up where the races go.

Do you have any pictures of the old parts?

GT Speeder13

forum member
Reaction score
did u have them install a bearing kit when the gears were put in? From what Ive heard, the bearings should be replaced to prevent noise...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back