Just installed bbr stage 2 cams po345 po349 ??

bullitt5244

forum member
Reaction score
it probaly skipped on the bottom gear somehow, i talked with BBR and they agree to take the timing cover off (fun fun) and retime it. Man i miss the fox body days.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
If you locked out the vct full advance and told BBR you set it up full retard (or conversely) you will see p0345 codes since the mechanical timing is out of wack.

Any chance you did 1 full advance and the other full retard?

I am still prone to think that a follower or lash adjuster may not be right, causing the noise.

bullitt5244

forum member
Reaction score
Well for an update i pulled the timing cover off have number 1 cylinder on tdc and from what i can tell it looks like it is off. I am going to reset the timing hopefully tonight, we will see.

bullitt5244

forum member
Reaction score
If you locked out the vct full advance and told BBR you set it up full retard (or conversely) you will see p0345 codes since the mechanical timing is out of wack.

Any chance you did 1 full advance and the other full retard?

I am still prone to think that a follower or lash adjuster may not be right, causing the noise.

I will check that out and make sure. Thanks !

bullitt5244

forum member
Reaction score
Ok update time we are running great !!! Removed the timing cover reset the cam timing and off we go !!!! Just wanted to thank everybody for the help. Also would like to give BBR props for the excellent service and tech support, John, Matt, and Chris. They were very patient.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
so the timing was off down below then? Was i right?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, how did the cam get out of time? Obviously something happened during the camshaft installation process.

Only reason I ask is because I'm going to be installing cams shortly and don't want to have any timing issues.

Please advise.

bullitt5244

forum member
Reaction score
so the timing was off down below then? Was i right?

Correct and thank you for the help !! As far as how it got off time i used the wedge tool and it is still possible for it to slip a tooth on the lower gear with that tool. If i were doing cams i would take the timing cover off. It's an extra step but well worth it.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
glad it's all good!!! enjoy the new power and idle!

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here is my exhaust clip with new psfracer exhaust system installed
not bad considering I took it with iPhone 3G S

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Correct and thank you for the help !! As far as how it got off time i used the wedge tool and it is still possible for it to slip a tooth on the lower gear with that tool. If i were doing cams i would take the timing cover off. It's an extra step but well worth it.

wow. i never would have believed that. somehow, obviously you got slack in the chain that allowed it to slip on the bottom....it's just hard to imagine. when i did mine, i wedged that tool to the max, and had zero problems. did you perhaps move the crank a little with the wedge tool in place? could there be a problem with the tensioners?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
My thoughts as well. If the tool is properly installed and the engine is not rotated I can't see how the chain could get loose on the crank sprocket.

bullitt5244

forum member
Reaction score
My thoughts as well. If the tool is properly installed and the engine is not rotated I can't see how the chain could get loose on the crank sprocket.

Well my guess would be when you are filling the cylinder with air it can move a little bit even with it in gear and some one holding the crank pulley.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Well my guess would be when you are filling the cylinder with air it can move a little bit even with it in gear and some one holding the crank pulley.
Why would you be filling a cylinder with air while the cam phasers were not mounted to the camshaft?

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
/\/\he's changing the valve springs. now that makes sense, sort of. i think i would have changed the valve spring before removing the phaser bolts and the original cams. i think then there wouldn't be a problem.

Back