Major help with IAT Temperatures

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have been chasing this bitch ass gremlin of a problem for 2+ years and I just cant seem to figure it all out.

Ever since my motor swap (coincidentally the 2.4 KB to the 2.6H KB as well) I have been battling extremely high IAT temperatures. Temperatures that make me think? Is there even an intercooler on this damed car.

For some background, Stock motor, with a KB 2.4 at 10psi, stock KB coolant tank, Lightning Intercooler Pump, and a gords ford performance heat exchanger. I never saw over 118 degree IAT temperatures even after 3 back to back to back Dyno runs with no cooldown. Temperatures were always rock solid and i just never had a single issue. Car coolant temps would reach about 190 after a quarter mile pass TOPS even with the heat outside.

Since then i have had a couple of different setups:

1a. 6 gallon tank in the trunk, meziere remote water pump, gords HE. Had the lines gonig from tank to Intercooler, to hE back to tank, so when running ice, the coldest fluid would goto the SC first.
1b. Rerouted hoses to a factory setup, tank to HE to SC
1c. Moved pump lower than tank to combat starvation issues

2. 6 gallon insulated trunk tank, insulated hoses, Killer Chiller, Meziere remote water pump

3. Canton 1 gallon insulated tank, insulated lines, Killer Chiller, FRPP Lightning pump, Industrial 12 in place of R134a for a colder charge.

***All temps are IAT temps***

With setup 1a with no ice, I would see temps between 130-150 all the time on the street. Track temps would see over 190 and even saw over 200 degrees at a few points at the end of a quarter mile. Adding Ice would get my starting temps at the line to around 75-79 degrees but at the end of a run, I would still see 150-170. Every now and then the water pump would cavitate itself and i would have to bleed it.

1b got the street temps down into the 120-140 range so a bit of improvement with the HE first but track temps stayed about the same. Pump would still cavitate from time to time forcing me to bleed it.

1c completely stopped the cavitation issues but temperatures on the street and the track did not improve in the slightest

Setup 2 would regularly see my street temps im the low 100-120 range on the street which was a nice improvement so far in that area, however the track temps were netting me 135-155 at the end of a pass.

Joe at Killer chiller recommended going with a much smaller tank, citing 2-3 gallons as the optimum fluid capacity so out came all that crap and we moved into setup 3

The entire system holds about 2 gallons of fluid when you consider the lines, intercooler and tank, perhaps jsut under 2 gallons. All of the lines are insulated to protect them and the coolant in them from engine heat.

When I start the car and idle for about 2-3 minutes I see coolant temps around 35-40 degrees in the tank. Thats whats returning from the blower before it hits the killer chiller. Joe at KC states the fluid coming out of the KC is aproximately 15 degrees colder than the tank which means I am pumping 20-25 degree coolant through the blower at idle. Intake air temps are generally around 90-100 degrees. After completing the burnout i see about 120 degrees o nthe temps, and they do start to fall a bit as i stage and usually settle around 112-118 degrees. By the end of my quarter mile runs i am constantly seeing 150+ and even saw 170+ twice. So i drain the coolant as low as i can go in the tank, and cram an entire bag of ice in there to assist. I see the exact same temperatures, not one iota of improvement

It is as if the intercooler is doing absolutely nothing. as if it wasn't even there. Now when i was swapping the motor i had noticed that it was covered in oi land was dark in appearance when it should be shiny aluminum so i mixed up a simple green solution and let it sit for days and drained it. Then for good measure i sprayed the shit out of it with brake cleaner till it was shiny again, like new. I figured this had to help big time but nothing once again. Temps are skyrocketing and soaring like a fucking bird.

I pulled the IAT sensor thinking it might be dirty or covered in oil after seeing the intercooler and cleaned it. Didnt help. I figured the sensor might be bad but if i let the car sit overnight, then start it in the morning it reads ambient temp so i know the sensor itself is working.

This leads me to believe it is heatsoak on the sensor, or KB just doesn't have it in a good spot, or, although i just cant fathom how, the intercooler isn't doing its job or is just shit. Someone also suggested that the pump could be slowing the flow of the fluid when under load, but i don't know how to confirm or test this. I did not see the results others saw when i had the ice tank in the trunk, no do i see similar results compared to the people with killer chillers. I am out of friggen ideas at this point and don't know where to turn. Granted i had the 2.4 at 10psi and the 2.6H at 15psi but that really cant make 70-80 degree difference in IAT, especially when i was running ice or using the KC.

I am going to buy a new sensor since they are so cheap anyway, but i have serious reservations of that fixing the issue. I am open to ANY suggestions at this point.

I did finally get a gauge to monitor water temps for the S/C system and i am going to plumb it into the return line coming out of the S/C and going into the tank to see just how hot (or cold) the fluid is getting (or remaining)

please help....anyone

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since this has been going on so long, and you got a guage for the outlet of the S/C, get one for the inlet as well. Find out exactly how much temperature change there is from the inlet of the s/c to the outlet of the s/c. That will tell you loads on what your entire system is doing. It will tell you what the KC is doing, and what the S/C intercooler is doing.

*This is just purely for troubleshooting purposes. It's been going on so long, I would have temp and flow guages everywhere I could stick one*

** Speaking of a flow gauge....I would get one of those as well Ron. Find out what kind of volume you actually have moving. The more info you have the more math we all can do to try and get things sorted out**

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking coolant temp going into the IC and then the temp coming out of the IC would let you know if the IC is doing anything. If the temp of the fluid is nearly identical in and out, then it's not cooling your air charge.

EDIT: meant to write intercooler, not heat exchanger.

Last edited:

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Flowmeter and they are not cheap... Not sure if the cost vs. info return will justify spending a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars on one.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A regular flow meter isnt that expensive. I hadn't considered the temperatures it needed to withstand though. Several hundred dollars for one that can handle 200+ degree water. Sooo...scratch that idea. haha

I would still put a temp gauge on the inlet and outlet of the intercooler though.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the water isnt 200 degrees the IAT would hit that. The fluid is notthat hot

ocpony

forum member
Reaction score
I have basically the same set up you have and went from 2.4 to a 2.6 when I did my stroker setup. I definately run higher temps than before and have datalogged runs. Can you post your datalogs and I will compare them to mine to see how much difference there is? I even have a couple of runs from the Texas Mile that I logged and the IAT would spike to the 160+ degrees around the 3/4 mile mark but did basically stabilize around there. I don't have the KC yet but was thinking about it and have been concerned since you have issues still with IAT. My IAT don't usually get over 140 if I start with ice in my tank. If not and I start with about 122 degrees then it will spike to 150s at the end of a 1/4 mile run and climb higher after the run. It will come back down on the return trip to the 130 level. I was concerned with the size of the IC on the KB set up when I saw the size of it and wish it was larger. I don't think it is efficient enough for the 2.6 blowers. Also the H blowers definately make more heat.

I do have a question for you. Can you try to spin the blower pulley as hard as you can (no belt on it) and she how many turns you can get to make after releasing? Mine seams to have more resistance than I expected and think it is pulling lots of power to turn it over when building boost. I have had a problem with it holding boost even though I have same pulleys, and braces, and belt that cars running 25# boost are running, but mine is slip even running a 3 1/4 pulley.

I also did some other stuff to improve the water flow into the IC that may help you.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have basically the same set up you have and went from 2.4 to a 2.6 when I did my stroker setup. I definately run higher temps than before and have datalogged runs. Can you post your datalogs and I will compare them to mine to see how much difference there is? I even have a couple of runs from the Texas Mile that I logged and the IAT would spike to the 160+ degrees around the 3/4 mile mark but did basically stabilize around there. I don't have the KC yet but was thinking about it and have been concerned since you have issues still with IAT. My IAT don't usually get over 140 if I start with ice in my tank. If not and I start with about 122 degrees then it will spike to 150s at the end of a 1/4 mile run and climb higher after the run. It will come back down on the return trip to the 130 level. I was concerned with the size of the IC on the KB set up when I saw the size of it and wish it was larger. I don't think it is efficient enough for the 2.6 blowers. Also the H blowers definately make more heat.

I do have a question for you. Can you try to spin the blower pulley as hard as you can (no belt on it) and she how many turns you can get to make after releasing? Mine seams to have more resistance than I expected and think it is pulling lots of power to turn it over when building boost. I have had a problem with it holding boost even though I have same pulleys, and braces, and belt that cars running 25# boost are running, but mine is slip even running a 3 1/4 pulley.

I also did some other stuff to improve the water flow into the IC that may help you.

my pulley barely spins on its own with no belt. it moves easily enough but it isnt gonig to keep spinning due top the screws. doubt id even get 1 turn out of it.

what did you do to improve water flow to the IC?

ocpony

forum member
Reaction score
Mine will only turn over 1 to 1.5 turns after spinning it by hand. I even tried to measure it with a beam torque wench to get the rolling resistance. It was around 18 in-lbs which doesn't sound like much but it feels like a lot when you hand spin it. At least a lot more than I remembered with the 2.4. I was just trying to determine if the bearings or gears are too tight on mine.

Is the mezier pump similar flow to the Lightning pump? That is what I'm running. When I put the AFCO H/E on I switched to he Lightning pump and it flow more than the bosch for sure. I just don't know how comparable the Mezier is. What elbows are on the back of the I/C on yours. Mine were 3/8 inch npt reduced from 3/4 hose. Look to the left of the photo and you will see which ones I am talking about. I switched to 1/2 hose (since it is reduced to 3/8in into and out of the I/C). 3/4 inch is only adding extra weight imo. I do enlarge it back to 3/4 in into and out of pump and H/E though. I enlarged the 3/8inch street elbows with a die grinder using sanding rolls. I know it is not much but I made them as big and as smooth as I could to help increase flow. That may help you out some. You would need to pull the S/C and intake to remove them though.

I think you also get alot more heat from ported heads and which make it easier for heat soak. My intake at the base of the blower is 155 to 160 once the motor is heated up... I also have the stock hood with no venting which I am working on changing to help remove heat from the engine compartment. Header are definately adding to the heat..

I would like to see the datalogs if you want. It would be good to compare and I could tell you how much sooner yours is heating up. It might help.

I'll check back late tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_3037.jpg
    IMG_3037.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 51

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine will only turn over 1 to 1.5 turns after spinning it by hand. I even tried to measure it with a beam torque wench to get the rolling resistance. It was around 18 in-lbs which doesn't sound like much but it feels like a lot when you hand spin it. At least a lot more than I remembered with the 2.4. I was just trying to determine if the bearings or gears are too tight on mine.

Is the mezier pump similar flow to the Lightning pump? That is what I'm running. When I put the AFCO H/E on I switched to he Lightning pump and it flow more than the bosch for sure. I just don't know how comparable the Mezier is. What elbows are on the back of the I/C on yours. Mine were 3/8 inch npt reduced from 3/4 hose. Look to the left of the photo and you will see which ones I am talking about. I switched to 1/2 hose (since it is reduced to 3/8in into and out of the I/C). 3/4 inch is only adding extra weight imo. I do enlarge it back to 3/4 in into and out of pump and H/E though. I enlarged the 3/8inch street elbows with a die grinder using sanding rolls. I know it is not much but I made them as big and as smooth as I could to help increase flow. That may help you out some. You would need to pull the S/C and intake to remove them though.

I think you also get alot more heat from ported heads and which make it easier for heat soak. My intake at the base of the blower is 155 to 160 once the motor is heated up... I also have the stock hood with no venting which I am working on changing to help remove heat from the engine compartment. Header are definately adding to the heat..

I would like to see the datalogs if you want. It would be good to compare and I could tell you how much sooner yours is heating up. It might help.

I'll check back late tomorrow.

I dont have any datalogs right now. I am monitoring them off a gauge on the OBDII port and watching them during a run.

the meziere flowed 20gpm, frpp flows 5gpm. flow isnt a problem imo unless something is happening to the flow at WOT

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i hear ya brian. but am i crazy or do these temps seem too high?

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Bird,

I don't run a blower on my GT, but I raced an '04 lightning for 4 years with a KB and would like to throw this out there:

We did a lot of IAT2 datalogging and at times would notice them climbing beyond what we deemed an acceptable temperature. Most of the time when we pulled the blower off the manifold we would find a lot of oil in the intercooler in the intake valley. Despite the oil seperators, breathers, and other crap, we always got lots of oil in the intercooler.

So, we'd pop the blower off, remove the intercooler and clean the daylights out of it. Sure enough, IAT2's would drop considerably. I don't know if this will help your situation, but it may be worth a try. Oil-coated intercooler fins do not work as well as clean fins.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
It is as if the intercooler is doing absolutely nothing. as if it wasn't even there. Now when i was swapping the motor i had noticed that it was covered in oi land was dark in appearance when it should be shiny aluminum so i mixed up a simple green solution and let it sit for days and drained it. Then for good measure i sprayed the shit out of it with brake cleaner till it was shiny again, like new. I figured this had to help big time but nothing once again. Temps are skyrocketing and soaring like a fucking bird.

Unfortunately he already tried that.

ocpony

forum member
Reaction score
The datalogs would be very helpful imo. On my dyno runs my IAT is in the 130's at the top of 4th but within 8 seconds it has spiked to 160+ after the run, so if you are just looking at it on a gauge you may be seeing the spike after the run and it may not be effecting the motor actually during the run.

The same thing happens on the 1/4 mile runs. The IAT doesn't get high enough to pull timing during the run but just seconds afterwards it will hit 160+ degrees. Do you not have an SCT tuner to log the runs by livelink?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back