PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Tech thread of the day!!!

hehehm.gif

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I am sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

No worries. I moved it.

I've heard complaints about the covers, and they personally look cheap to me.

I'd rather paint the calipers than run those.

D'prived

Friends in crawl spaces
Reaction score
I got tired of painting and touching up my calipers every year so I bought the covers. I am glad I did. I think they look good and no more painting calipers. The clearance is fine.

5495577054_fc1a79f4b1_b.jpg

5494985979_e92242927c_b.jpg

5497561499_f366ff2dcd_b.jpg

stang2009

Reaction score
I tried the caliber paint and loved it for the first year. Now they flack off real easy. The car was new and I cleaned them with the spray cleaner and painted over the stock silver. I guess I should have wire brushed them first.

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
They do give off a cheesy vibe but I still dig 'em. Hell, I'd even put them on. Whatever helps keep brake dust off wheels.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I tried the caliber paint and loved it for the first year. Now they flack off real easy. The car was new and I cleaned them with the spray cleaner and painted over the stock silver. I guess I should have wire brushed them first.

My calipers on my '05 are still good as new. They never flaked on me, and I honestly did a half assed job at cleaning them. I just sprayed them and wiped them down. I had about 20,000 miles on them, and I have around 50,000 miles now.

D'prived

Friends in crawl spaces
Reaction score

May or may not have helped. I painted my claipers about 2 months after I purchased the car and I scrubbed them with brake cleaner and a wire brush like they had HIV. Didn't help... they started to flake about 6 months after I painted. I don't care what anyone says... the covers>painting. And that's all I got to say about that. :roflmao:

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't get it... what does one have to do with the other? $3000.00 vs $200.00? Duh!

One is real while the other is a blatant fake.

These Caliper Covers appear to be big brake kits. You really don't get that?

$200 for a fake BBK is a worse return on your investment than a $3000 BBK.

Just sayin', be prepared to get some flames for rocking these.

D'prived

Friends in crawl spaces
Reaction score
One is real while the other is a blatant fake.

What's fake? They are covers! I think anyone with an IQ above 15 can see that.

These Caliper Covers appear to be big brake kits. You really don't get that?

Where do you get that? Again... anyone with any kind of intelligence can see I don't have and am not trying to tell anyone I have a big brake kit. It is what it is... covers to cover up some ugly ass factory brake calipers. Don't try to make anymore out of it than what it is.

$200 for a fake BBK is a worse return on your investment than a $3000 BBK.

Investment?! LOL! Where's the investment? If you and I had identical cars and you spent $3,000.00 on a big brake kit and I $200.00 on covers, you honestly think you would get more for your car on resale? Dream on! That's funny!

Just sayin', be prepared to get some flames for rocking these.

I know what you're sayin' and I don't care about the flames because they just come from narrow-minded people like you who think that because you think a certain way that everyone else should also think that way.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Oh yeah? Do those brake caliper covers help reel you in from a 120mph pass at the strip?

Didn't think so.

It's a mod for some folks and not for others. There's no way in hell I'm going to invest $200 in a set of cheesy ass looking covers when I can buy GT500 take-offs for $800. Hell, I'd even put the $200 towards saving up for a $3000 four corner BBK before wasting it on those covers.

At least when I went to part out my car while returning it to stock, there would be interest in my BBK. Only ricers and youngins are gonna want to buy those covers and even then, you'll get what, $50 for them if you're lucky?

Just bustin your balls D. But seriously, I cannot see spending that kind of money on a fake caliper cover. I'd rather spend $20 in paint three or four times then go BBK than those things.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What's fake? They are covers! I think anyone with an IQ above 15 can see that.

Just curious if you had to guess a percentage, what percent of people on the road would know those were covers? Not enthusiasts, but everyone on the road.

Of course they are real covers, but they are clearly modeled after a big brake caliper. Come on... Anyone with more than a 14 IQ could see that.

Where do you get that? Again... anyone with any kind of intelligence can see I don't have and am not trying to tell anyone I have a big brake kit. It is what it is... covers to cover up some ugly ass factory brake calipers. Don't try to make anymore out of it than what it is.

I'm not making it out to be anything other than what it is. I'm referring to the design. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't think your trying to fool anyone. I never even implied that. We're all good bud!

Investment?! LOL! Where's the investment? If you and I had identical cars and you spent $3,000.00 on a big brake kit and I $200.00 on covers, you honestly think you would get more for your car on resale? Dream on! That's funny!

It was a figure of speech. It's not a financial investment, I'm referring to a bang for your buck sorta thing. Knowwhatamean? But to answer your question, yes, of course I'd have a higher resale value with a big brake kit than just some covers. I don't think that's debatable.

I know what you're sayin' and I don't care about the flames because they just come from narrow-minded people like you who think that because you think a certain way that everyone else should also think that way.

I'm not narrow-minded at all. Rock the covers if you want to. No sweat off my back. Just because someone thinks they look cheap, cheesy, poser, etc... Doesn't mean they are narrow-minded, it means they have good taste! Hahahaha! Just messing with you. It's just a different taste.

It's an appearance mod that makes you look like you have a big brake kit. You've never had a single person ask you about yours? Well, maybe not since they are black and kinda blend in with your wheels, but you can't be surprised if someone did compliment you on your "Frembos".

See what I did there! Hahahaha!

I hope you understand I'm writing this in a friendly tone, and not an argumentative one.

BTW, I think your car would look sick with some black rockers off of a V6, and a GT500 rear bumper.

Last edited:

stang2009

Reaction score
I use my car for showing, my wife and I are at a show every weekend. I like the look of the red calibers, with the Vista Blue color of my car. I saw some covers at a show and thought it was a good option, to keep from having to touch up my calibers at every show.I only drive it during the summer on weekends. Looks are more important to me than performance mods. The only performance mods I have are a CAI and Sct tuner with 3 Bama tunes.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back