2014 Brake Upgrade But Not BIG Brakes

DeltaPlt

Reaction score
I want to stick with my factory 17" wheels (Base Mustang 3.7L Automatic Convertible), but I'd like to upgrade to 6-piston fixed front calipers (versus the factory floating calipers on my 3.7L). I've been told the GT's Brembo front calipers should be a bolt-on fit to my OEM bracket, but I can't get any verification from the speed shops around my area. Has anyone else been able to upgrade their base-model s197 front brake calipers without going to the expense of a Big Rotor kit, which also necessitates buying larger wheels/tires?

JimC

Reaction score
They will bolt in along with the bigger disc, but will not fit the 17" wheel. You can't just replace the caliper because the disc itself is bigger as well - which moves the caliper out further and that is why you can't fit the 17" wheel on it.

At least that is my recollection

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
On my 2013 Brembo car, the calipers just clear the inside of 19” wheels. I can’t imagine a 17” would fit.

DeltaPlt

Reaction score
Sorry guys; I guess my question wasn't clear to everyone. I'm well aware that when you go to a bigger rotor size, you'd need the larger caliper mounting bracket as well as the GT's calipers (and a larger wheel size for clearance) to move the calipers out far enough to accommodate the larger disc. However, elsewhere I was told the GT's calipers are bolt-ons that fit the stock V-6 caliper bracket and can be used with with the OEM size rotor (I believe it's 11.5" for the V-6 automatic). To add to the confusion, I saw one posting that said the OEM rotors for an automatic V-6 are slightly larger diameter than the ones used for the V-6 manual trans. So I'm wading through some conflicting versions about whether or not I can simply replace my V-6s floating calipers with a better caliper from the GT. Are there no calipers (Brembo, Wilwood, etc) that can be used with the V-6 stock rotors or would my only option be to go with a Big Brake kit, with the additional cost of a larger wheel/tire combination? Other than for looks, moving to a big brake kit has already been shown to have a negligible difference in braking capabilities and stopping distances...

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I’m thinking the way the Brembo calipers mount to the stock brackets positions them more outward to accommodate the matching rotors. My car doesn’t have any kind of adapter that I can see between the mount and the caliper.

If the V6 mounts are different and allow tighter mounting of the Brembo calipers, would the match (radius of contact) be correct with the smaller rotors??

DeltaPlt

Reaction score
Good question about the match of the radius of contact. I do know that if you try to go Big brakes on the cheap, you buy used GT calipers but also the GT mounting bracket, which displaces the calipers further out to match with a larger rotor. I'd just like to stick with my current rotor size if I could find a 6-piston caliper that would fit the stock mounting bracket on the V-6. Thx for your comments.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Look up rotor part numbers on rock auto or tasca for auto vs manual rotor diameters. I have like new GT calipers, pads and brake lines off my 06 GT that have only 8000 miles. I'd sell them cheap, although, being heavy shipping won't be that cheap. You are not going to find 6 piston calipers that fit inside 17" wheels, no way.

DeltaPlt

Reaction score
Thx for your reply. I wasn't aware the GT calipers would be too large to fit my 17" wheels. I guess I'm back to just putting in quality new rotors, stainless steel brake lines, and ceramic pads to improve my stock braking performance.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Thx for your reply. I wasn't aware the GT calipers would be too large to fit my 17" wheels. I guess I'm back to just putting in quality new rotors, stainless steel brake lines, and ceramic pads to improve my stock braking performance.

As Racer47 says the GT brakes/rotors/pads from 05 - 10 will fit your application without modifying the wheels. If you went for something larger (4P - 6P) Brembo's or later OEM calipers/rotors it gets messy. Some 18" wheels will fit the 4P but I'd go with 19" to be safe or 20" to clear the 6P. Then you'll also need spacers and longer wheel studs. The GT brakes on the other hand won't require any modification and along w/steel braided brake lines should improve stopping distances (due larger rotors) but cannot say how much (likely stock GT distances). Does your car have w/ABS?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back