Mustangs in Winter

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Here in northern Idaho, we have been experiencing's one of the coldest spells in years. We have frequently been down to minus 15,20's at night and around zero during the day. My driveway is like a ice rink as are some of the roads but not as bad as my driveway. We haven't gone anywhere for ten days, and that run was to stock up on food and supplies. As you can see staying home isn't all bad.

Like most people up here we are driving our four-wheel drive cars and the Mustang is stored away for the winter. But, I do see one Mustang repeatedly on the road in all this winter scene. My Mustang is a 2012, the one I am seeing is much newer than mine and my question is could a buyer order a Mustang with four wheel or all-wheel drive?

In our part of the world there are anywhere from 8 to 10 Mustangs running around during the warmer months.snow-morning after 07 -Pub 09.jpg

GriffX

Reaction score
There are no AWD Mustangs.
I noticed that the live axle in combination with the limited slip has a lot of mechanical grip. And, on snow a manual transmission has some advantages, you can better feel and hold the slip speed. On snow you need much more slip to climb a hill. My winter car is a Mercedes RWD with open differential, but I have also no real problems on snow with it. We had 14 days snow right now. Is AWD superior? Yes!
With RWD practice on snow is the key and dedicated winter tires no all season.

Miker

Reaction score
There are no 4 or all wheel drive Mustangs.
Growing up in the Pacific Northwest I learned to drive and drift cars in the ice and snow. I have experienced freezing rain once. It is the worst, just behind black ice. The only time I would prefer a 4 wheel drive is deep snow. All wheel drive would be the best, but rear wheel drive is the most fun.

RoninGT

Reaction score
I'm in N. Colorado and we have had a foot of snow (yards in the mountains) and -19. Nasty cold but 50s this week and 60s next. Hard to belive that for decades folks made the commute largely in RWD cars.

While I briefly entertained a AWD "fun" ride, I eventually gave up and kept my AWD Tucson and got a Mustang. It's out every week. All I need is dry roads and 35 degrees or better. I can't imagine even a store run on snow in a solid axle rwd mustang. Although they were almost certainly cold climate tested.

AHaze

Reaction score
With modern winter tires, a RWD vehicle is fine in anything but the absolute worst road conditions. I have driven a '88 Mustang, '91 Cougar , '95 Caprice and '07 Magnum through multiple Northern Alberta winters without serious incident. The Magnum, with it's stability control on top of being on proper winter rubber was pretty much idiot proof.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Here in Fairbanks Ak. there are a few Mustangs that live outside and are driven through the winter. Studs or snow tires are a must for the ice and snow conditions in this area just to negotiate city streets and intersection. A problem I have seen on more that one S197 is snow and ice build up in the inner fenders and bumper covers. Over time the two piece fender liners separate and can be lost. The front and rear bumper covers sag and begin to separate from the body. The entire rear cover can actually fall off going down the hiway. I haven’t seen this happen to cars that are parked indoors and allowed to thaw overnight.

Laga

Reaction score
Due to a snowstorm moving in sooner than predicted, and a doctors appointment lasting almost 2 hours longer than scheduled. I had to drive my supercharged 05 with Nitto G2 summer tires through 2” of heavy wet snow. I also had traction control turned off in the tune. It took me almost an hour to go the 5 miles to get home. Every time I had to come to a complete stop in traffic . It was almost impossible to get moving again.
Before the blower was installed, and the car had all season tires, it drove pretty good in the snow.

Miker

Reaction score

BottleRocket

Reaction score
Yes, we occasionally get a little bit of snow here in SE Arizona. We just have to brush it off and hit the road.

20210127_100246.jpg

20210127_100258.jpg

crjackson

Reaction score
I've had no problems with mine in the snow. It's all about the tires & the driver. Clear the windows, warm the interior, and go (at least in my case).

tempImagemrlFtH.png

DieHarder

Reaction score
I watched that whole vid. Wow what a modest genius the guy is. Needs to be in charge of something somewhere. Impressive.

In my day we called that "Wicked." God damn outstanding son!

Back