my dilemma. your opinion. Tires/Wheels/Suspension. PICS too!

warrior86

ODIN
Reaction score
prepare to be confused. If you can follow what I'm saying, pat yourself on the back. I would like to know some opinions to what I write below for my setup here and answers to the questions I ask if you can help me out.

First off, I actually do not need any of these parts right now. I just want them. Especially since this Black Friday coming up will be the first BF I am actually spending on my car and if I dont get them right now, I'll probably have to wait a year, and if i dont, i'll feel like I'm losing money on it knowing I could have gotten them cheaper. We are talking about Wheels/Tires/Suspension here. One of the reasons I "dont need" the parts right now is because since I have low miles (just past 13K since buying my car brand new Feb of 09) and I dont drive that often, I feel that I'm throwing away decent parts that still have some life left on them and if I try to sell them, I wont get the return I am hoping for or nothing at all for them.

Wheels
When it comes to my wheels, the chrome bullit 18in factory 18x8.5 wheels that came as an upgrade on the my 08 GT, I actually have grown to like. So I can live with them, but I actually really would love to have a nice wide tire and I just cant do very much on an 8.5 Rim wheel. How much difference would it look from the stock 235/50/18 size to a 255/45/18 size ? By going to some of those visual tire calculator websites, it looks to be the exact same height in the end, as far as width, I dont know the answer to that. I always wanted at least a 9.5 wheel in the back, if not a 10. Another question, I LOVE the look of 20's, and they fit the wheel well so well, specially when lowered, but I never been in a car with 20's so I wouldnt know what the feeling is like, since I hear 20's slow you down alot. Or do you not really even feel the difference? There are more choices for my preference in 18's then 20's so I'll probably stick with 18s for now, but another question, if you look at the car from the side, with upgraded rims, and tires, yet it is the SAME height from the ground as the stock tires on the same rim size 18's, and if I am buying the wheel/tire package based on how the car will look lowered and the fact that i'm OK with having these stock rims/tires for now, wouldnt spending close to $1500 for something I dont NEED that much at the moment, best to put to the side, or at least, to build up some suspension. Now if I went with 20's, this would be a completely different story, but same rim size etc, makes me think I am throwing away money when I have plenty of wheel thread still left, and the rims are pretty much in near perfect condition. (new rims were changed out at the 5000 mile mark by Ford due to Ford's original set being all messed up).

On top of trying to figure out if I should by the wheels or not yet, If anyone can help me out with there personal opinion on how it would look on my car, but I'm considering the 2010/2011 SVT rims in the Dark argent color of theirs. I saw this car at the autoshow this past weekend and I fucking love them. The one's American Muscle is selling I dont think is that shade, it's more silver/black than "dark charcoal" etc...

Below is a picture of my car and the wheels I want to put on it. Last one is the wheel on the red SVT i took at the autoshow. What do you guys think of how it would look?

0530001322c.jpg

stanggt.JPG

CIMG6772.JPG

When it comes to my wheels, if I actually pull the trigger and be like whatever tonight, then tomorrow I'm gonna have to buy them because I got a pretty sweet deal on them with Nitto's and tire pressure sensors for 10% off the current bundle price which I don't even know if Black Friday can top (again since I never knew how good or bad prices are when it comes to Car products). That is like over $150 in savings instantly. IF someone says that shouldn't be a problem in attaining during BF deals, then I can breath easier.
Also if I did get that tire size setup, would an alignment be needed? I know it will if I change the suspension, but in respect to the wheels?

SUSPENSION
First off, Will the look of my current tire size and rim compared to a 255/45/18 (front) and a 285/40/18 (rear) setup Look very different when lowered? I want to shoot for FRPP K Springs (1.5in drop all around). Originally since I have low mileage, I am not crazy about wanting to change out the struts if I dont have to. You guys are in luck though since I know what kind of suspension parts I want if I am keeping my stock struts, so just worry about the wheel questions ;) haha... But if I do end up changing them out, not sure what Strut will match real well with FRPP K Springs. Any ideas? Now if I do change the struts, and do that whole deal, the wheels wont be bought any time soon, that is why I am hoping the car wont look too stupid or weird when using the factory wheels/tires.

If anyone is interested in the mods I have on the car already if it makes any type of difference in your answers for me: the list is below:

4.10's, pypes muffler delete, JLT CAI w/ BBR tune, I do have a custom system in the back with 2 10's, and 2 amps, and that's really all as far as mods affecting major aspects of the car.

OK, I think that about covers it. Here is a "6pack" for everyone if you made it this far. Haha!! Thanks for reading and I look forward to your input.

REQUEST!!! If anyone can photoshop that RED SVT to a similar color for my car, so I can see how it looks, would be awesome!!!!

Last edited:

mrdeath2000

forum member
Reaction score
holybatman shrink your photos !
nice car though.
i think you would get more enjoyment out of lowering about 1"

warrior86

ODIN
Reaction score
lol. they are not side by side for me. Shrink my photos?? get a bigger monitor you nut! =D

thanks though!

about the lowering the car an inch, do you think you would notice it that much? Cuz im also a visual guy, so though im getting the feel of the suspension upgrade, id like to make it show too. You can always argue, well is .5 in more really gonna make that big of a difference after the inch? If I do go with 1in drop, ill go with the roush springs most likely and that way i can keep my stock struts.

Last edited:

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
lol. they are not side by side for me. Shrink my photos?? get a bigger monitor you nut! =D

thanks though!

about the lowering the car an inch, do you think you would notice it that much? Cuz im also a visual guy, so though im getting the feel of the suspension upgrade, id like to make it show too. You can always argue, well is .5 in more really gonna make that big of a difference after the inch? If I do go with 1in drop, ill go with the roush springs most likely and that way i can keep my stock struts.

a Mustang Chat thread for sure... :highfive: and is no longer in the tech section :hi:

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
i cant read this side by side... too much scrolling.

buy the wheels and get the factory gt500 sizes and be done with it.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check out this THREAD. I'm sure you can find all the answers you need there ;)

Clearly those articles are geared more towards the technical aspects of properly changing the oil (the life blood) of your cars engine....and not about the topic at hand which is wayyyy more technical and important...lol.

RH

:newbie:

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Clearly those articles are geared more towards the technical aspects of properly changing the oil (the life blood) of your cars engine....and not about the topic at hand which is wayyyy more technical and important...lol.

RH

:newbie:

yeah, tires wheels and suspension ~ you can roll around, now oil, you just slip on it

warrior86

ODIN
Reaction score

I honestly didnt find a single answer that I asked lol. For you people who think it is too much txt, just pretend I made like 5 different posts, and divide the txt up into 5 trips and answer my questions! come on.. there are 6 packs in it for you guys... if you had read it my post, you would know this =P

warrior86

ODIN
Reaction score
Hell...if I COULD read your post...damn pics are soo big you have to scroll right....left.....then down....wtf??? :chairfall:

LMAO!!!

RH

what are you on a 17in monitor or something?

fine, ill resize them for all you lazy asses :stooges:

;)

bullitt boy

Reaction score
I am on a 24" monitor and started to scroll back and forth for about 10 seconds before saying to hell with this.

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
i'm on a 10" monitor and i agree...
too much right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down,

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back