Navigation

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
Seems impossible to find the OEM navigation unit for a 2012 Mustang. What other options are out there and which is the best?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
crutchfield would be a great source for an aftermarket indash. They have a website and a sales support staff that specializes in the different departments you can speak to directly via phone.

I use a Garmin portable (when I had cars without NAV) and it has served me very well over 12+ years.

travelers

Reaction score
This is what I have from AM but I just looked and they don't carry it any more. It works great.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
I put in a Kenwood unit that has apple carplay...so the maps on my phone come on the screen just like a nav unit. Works really good. Even installed XM radio, which wasn't available on an 06. Bought everything from crutchfield.

The only thing I don't like is when its really sunny the sun can create a lot of glare on the screen.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It was a lot easier to stick a double-DIN unit in the '05-09s.

The '10-14s use CANBUS for everything, so you need a $350 install kit from Metra in order to put an aftermarket radio in (includes a touch screen for HVAC controls, SYNC interface, etc.). It's a pretty sweet setup, though, and I'm really thinking about getting back into car audio myself next winter.

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
I recently had audio installed and my guy did a fantastic job.....I never met someone so passionate about audio. Anyway, I sent him this link https://themustangsource.com/forums/f803/adding-oem-nav-516988/ .

I'm hoping he can understand it and maybe put something together for me.

BTW anyone in the South Jersey area looking to get audio work done....check out AudioSonic. I cannot say enough good things about Mike.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
FYI - I didn't see an in cabin temp sensor module in his list on this thread. You will need one for the climate control. A friend called me recently with a climate control issue on his F250. After he described the symptom I told him to check the in cabin temp sensor. His Ford tech buddy kept telling him it was a blend door motor. Thankfully with me on the phone he checked the sensor and found it wide open. He ordered one which was way less expensive than a blend door motor even at a junk yard. I had him check resistance before installing and as I recall it read somewhere around 5K ohm. Installing it he had full climate control back and the unit has functioned properly all winter since. The point is expressing the importance of this small device when you do this. Best of luck if you choose to go this way.

The sun load sensor will be required as well as it assists in helping maintain cabin temp setpoint when you have direct sunlight radiating through the glass, which as we all know generates a lot of heat.

Personally I think an aftermarket setup would be less costly and from personal experience cheaper on updates as Ford and other OEM nav systems wish to gouge for map updates where as many aftermarket systems provide free updates or at least reasonable cost on updates.

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
I'm all for aftermarket options however I want to maintain an OEM look to it. A lot of the aftermarket setups Ive seen (on the internet) don't look factory. I think the closest one I've seen was the Raxion but that has been discontinued.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Raxiom's unit are made by Rosen, maybe you can look up Rosen HU's.

13v6

Reaction score
Raxiom's unit are made by Rosen, maybe you can look up Rosen HU's.

Yeah, Rosen used to sell them cheaper than AM and twice the warranty. They discontinued selling them years ago. The unit does look and work well though. Maybe the OP can find one for sale. Maybe someone about to trade in will sell it.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
eBay/Facebook is your best bet I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back