New combo hoping to be ready for Bradenton.

Reaction score
the 5.4 3v has a forged crank from the factory? how hard is it to put in any real modifications? I have a busted 5.4 3v in my garage right now.

Andrew

Yes the 5.4 has a forged crank, but it still has the same rod/piston make up as the 4.6 n/a motors.
The 5.4 has some interesting issues, Ford uses pretty much the same piston in the 4.6 as the 5.4, which puts the piston about .120 in the hole (below the deck), so custom pistons are a must as most off the shelf stuff is the same as Fords design.

The 5.4 will pretty much drop right in, The 4.6 mounts are not going to work, the block is just a touch wider (you could use Gt500 mounts). The big problem is intake and exhaust manifolds. 4.6 3v manifolds can be made to work, but will require a bit of exhaust work. Intakes are nil, There is nothing that will work well, especially in n/a form.
We have done this swap for one customer, Here is a link, http://www.rygen.net/stang/54stage1.html

Last edited:

Androdz

Banned
Reaction score
Yes the 5.4 has a forged crank, but it still has the same rod/piston make up as the 4.6 n/a motors.
The 5.4 has some interesting issues, Ford uses pretty much the same piston in the 4.6 as the 5.4, which puts the piston about .120 in the hole (below the deck), so custom pistons are a must as most off the shelf stuff is the same as Fords design.

The 5.4 will pretty much drop right in, The 4.6 mounts are not going to work, the block is just a touch wider (you could use Gt500 mounts). The big problem is intake and exhaust manifolds. 4.6 3v manifolds can be made to work, but will require a bit of exhaust work. Intakes are nil, There is nothing that will work well, especially in n/a form.
We have done this swap for one customer, Here is a link, http://www.rygen.net/stang/54stage1.html

hmm thanks alot!! All being said and done was it worth it? who made the pistons? What would a set run me into think you could sell me a pair since you already did one lol.

Andrew

Reaction score
hmm thanks alot!! All being said and done was it worth it? who made the pistons? What would a set run me into think you could sell me a pair since you already did one lol.

Andrew

The pistons were custom units from L&M Engines, The price depends on option, Mine are coated on both the skirts and tops, obviously no coating would be cheaper. You'll have to call Mike @ L&M for exact pricing (215-675-8485).

Mike,
What class are you planning to run?

SD , I don't have any class.........In mind.
I was thinking about doing true street stuff, The car will be DR legal but not fast enough due to weight. I'll probably be ~#1000 too heavy to tangle with those guys. If I want to go faster I'll start pulling a bit of weight out of it.
I just want to go out and have some fun and see what kind of power we can make with E-85.

Reaction score
I am going to hit as many NMRA shows as possible, hopefully the economy will hold together enough to pull it off.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Cool. Me too. Going after the Ultra Stang and Super Stang titles in the same year. Maybe a few NMCA EFI wins along the way if I can.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back