North Carolina and Collector Car registration?

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
I am most likely moving to NC from NJ in about a year and I was curious if NC has "collector car" registration like we do here in NJ. It limits the number of miles you can drive but more importantly opts you out of any emissions... therefore no cats... I only put on 1000 miles or so per year...

I cant find anything other than antique car registration on their website for >35 yrs old. I will most likely be moving to Mecklenburg county (charlotte area)

Thanks for the always helpful insight.

Last edited:

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
Cool. I suppose when the time comes you can point me in the right direction for a 'good' place? back to the cats... dont they plug into the obd port to see if the rear sensors are on? which they wouldn't be with that setup.

Thanks again for the info.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Never heard of NC having such as thing. Shops are suppose to do visual inspections, however for the little money most shop get from inspections its usually plug n read affair. Some are by the book or just had a surprise visit from an inspector with sting car and got caught, so to keep their certification they pay the fine, take the suspension, and stick to familiar customers.

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
I've been here for seven years with two cars and only once had anyone looked under it for cats. Carquest on Old Statesville rd in Huntersville. That dude checks everything! Puts the lift up as high as it goes and uses his flash light. First time I've seen someone that thorough in very long time.

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
Ok folks the move is a go. I am headed to Union county south of Charlotte. I currently have no cats and the rear O2 sensors are completely turned off. What will I need to do to be legal in NC since they have nothing like NJ's collector car registration that waves inspections of any type except checking for a working odometer.

It seems there are varying opinions on what works by county

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
You do need cats in NC and are supposed to be in working order but I am cables and you can get through inspection if you go to the right shops. As long as your o2 are off in your tune then your fine as long as they don't do a visual inspection.

Bobby is in that area so he may know a shop.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back