odd buzzing

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I was cruising on I-75 in Michigan last night; temperature was about freezing. I was about 85mph in 5th gear. Car was fully warm, and after about five miles on the interstate, there was a buzzing noise on the passenger side inside the car. I thought it might have been something loose on the dash, but pressing on the dash and the other panels I could reach did not change the buzz. It sounded a little like when a piece of paper falls into the fan, so I turned off the fan, no change. Full speed fan did not change the frequency or volume. I thought maybe the speaker was rattling with the radio, but turning the radio up, down, or off made no difference. After about 5 miles the buzzing just stopped on its own.

I felt around the kick panel and trim today, and nothing seems loose or out of place. Any idea what caused the buzz? Any idea how to diagnose?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
have you heard in on any other roadway? is this a roadway you drive on daily?

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
Never heard it on any other road. It was only for a fairly new stretch of asphalt in Saginaw, Michigan. It hasn't buzzed again. I drove the same stretch last night, and there was no buzz.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ok, I questioned it as there's a newly paved highway section near me that I get an odd road noise from, it was of concern the first time I drove over it, there's no noise any other part of the roadway.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I had a buzzing that took me a few weeks to find. Ended up being the overhead map lights. Gave it a bang with my hand and it disappeared. Occasionally I have something in the glove box that will start to make noise if the contents shift. I also stopped putting coins in my cup holder.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I got noise from the damned rearview mirror, like a low freq buzzing / vibration. Passenger with me put her hand on it..and it stopped. I had been chasing that noise for years now. I was 100% convinced it was in the dash.

Reaction score
These are all incidents of "sympathetic vibrations" where the car makes a certain frequency vibration and other objects join in. I had a button on my rear view mirror do it and there is another in my driver side door I think from the latch cable hitting the door. A piece of black electrical tape fixed the RV mirror button buzzing.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I had a buzzing that took me a few weeks to find. Ended up being the overhead map lights. Gave it a bang with my hand and it disappeared. Occasionally I have something in the glove box that will start to make noise if the contents shift. I also stopped putting coins in my cup holder.
I'll have to check that if it starts again.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
These are all incidents of "sympathetic vibrations" where the car makes a certain frequency vibration and other objects join in. I had a button on my rear view mirror do it and there is another in my driver side door I think from the latch cable hitting the door. A piece of black electrical tape fixed the RV mirror button buzzing.
Concur on the sympathetic vibration aspect.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I got noise from the damned rearview mirror, like a low freq buzzing / vibration. Passenger with me put her hand on it..and it stopped. I had been chasing that noise for years now. I was 100% convinced it was in the dash.
I will check that next time I hear a buzz.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back