Oil in the intake: Anybody figure out WHY yet?

GT John

forum member
Reaction score
GTJohn, If I read your post correctly, you have the pass. side open to the air and the Driver's side still plumbed to the intake behind the TB?

If so, you are potentially drawing in unmetered air through the crank-case which will cause you to run a little lean.

It would be better to bypass both sides than one - the system either needs to be closed or not connected at all.

My car has been tuned for this change. :clap:

I appreciate the info John, but there's one thing about your setup that bugs me... The PCV circuit NEEDS to be a closed loop, after the MAF. With your setup, whenever the PCV valve is open, drawing air through the separator, the source for that air is through the breather on your passenger side, which is now admitting UNMETERED air into the engine. This will cause you to run lean, since as far as the engine is concerned, it's a vacuum leak. I'm pretty sure that you want EITHER a complete closed loop (with the separator, and with the passenger-side hose connected to the CAI ducting after the MAF) or you want a completely open loop, with breathers (local or remote) on both sides, and with the PCV port plugged.

I think if you set it up all three ways (closed loop, open loop, hybrid like you're running now) and datalog the LTFT and STFT, you'll see the computer commanding rich...

My car has been tuned for this change.

The LTFT has also been disabled and no longer influence the STFT.

Been running this way for almost 2 years. My daily N/A driver just the way I drive it to work everyday runs 13.5 sec in a 1/4 mile at 102mph.

The ram air system I have installed probably helps.......a little.

As stated before the stock passenger side hose running to the intake just after the MAFS is for environmental protection and thats all.

Not trying to be argumentive guys.:popcorneat:

Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
All good, John. As long as your tune file has been set up to account for the additional unmetered airflow into the engine, you should be fine. I will disagree with you on the purpose of the 3/8" passenger-side line, though. The main reason that it's plumbed into the intake track is to supply metered air into an engine with a "conventional" PCV system, that's all. The hydrocarbon trap in the intake of the early 2005MY was designed to trap any remaining evaporative emissions after the engine was shut off. That part was deleted in the late 2005MY, IIRC. At that point, the emissions control end of things was eliminated. I just want to make sure that anybody reading this thread has the whole picture to base their particular decisions on, that's all. No ball busting at all.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car has been tuned for this change. :clap:

Not trying to be argumentive guys.:popcorneat:

No argument required - just pointing out for other readers that you will screw up your tune if you do this without compensation...

Now I have to as the next obvious question - do you now how much "unmetered air" is coming in under various circumstances? Disabling the fuel trims will certainly change how it behaves, but the amount of unmetered air coming in is a function of engine speed and load and not simply an offset. So your tune is "wrong" in different modes of operation in different ways...

N/A you likely can get away with this, but you are giving up some optimization of either power or gas mileage and increasing the risk of detonation. FI, you are not likely to "get away" with this approach. You'd be better off not trying to "fool" the tune and just remove the system all together (replace with breathers and cap off both sides in the intake path... ).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back