p0012 & p0016 idle & driving issues

BIGCHRISS197

Honda Hunter
Reaction score
So all day yesterday my car has ran fine, I go to start it up to drive home last night and its running like dog doodoo. check engine light pops up so I check it on my tuner, p0012 cam position something timing over retarded bank 1, I clear the code start it back up, idles fine and drives like a dream which leads me to believe its related to the alternator which ive had issues with in the past. My valve covers have never been off the car and im meticulous about my routine maintenance so im almost certain theres no issue with the phaser or cam timing especially with how well it drove after I cleared the code. today I go to start it up running like shit again this time it throws a p0012 & p0016 code, I clear the code start it up still running like shit, so I swap out alternators really quick start it up runs ok for about a sec then goes back to running like shit, so if anyone has any insight it'd be appreciated

BIGCHRISS197

Honda Hunter
Reaction score
So swapped alternators, same issue. Swapped cam position sensors from side to side, same issue. Im starting to think its the vct solenoid

BIGCHRISS197

Honda Hunter
Reaction score
So after pulling the valve cover and dropping a hex key in the timing cover and spending most of the day fishing it out, I have discovered its the vct solenoid. Replaced the solenoid and cars running like a dream
20130121_152843.jpg

20130121_152835.jpg

20130121_163435.jpg

20130121_162546.jpg

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Got the same codes today, does the valve cover need to be removed in order to change the VCT?

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Depends on the year of your car, and the valve covers they installed. One version has a seal that's removable and you can do it without pulling the cover. The other version of valve cover requires you remove it.

If it were me, I'd remove it anyway so I can do an eyeball check of the valve train while I was in there.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
What should I look for besides the VCT? Would I able to see that the timing is off or something?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Mines does it right from the start up, idles rough, sounds like a missfire/exhaus leak noise, wideband goes all the way to lean, then if I blip the throttle it goes all the way to Rich then the engine start shaking the whole car like its gonna stall. Its gives the P0016 code.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Oh man...I read your thread and you've done pretty much everything. I'm gonna try the VCT on the passenger side as my first step and go from there.

Damn I was just about to put a blower on my engine and this happened.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
So my issue was the the pass. side VCT Solenoid. Replaced it and now runs normal again and the CEL went off by itself without the need of clearing it.

Ecobeast23

Reaction score
Could this be a timing chain issue? I’m having the same problem with my 2.3 ecoboost making a weird rattling/knocking at first I thought it was a rod knock but not so sure after the codes p0012 and p0016

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back