P0356 Code???

cagefightmma

forum member
Reaction score
Car has been sitting in my garage for the winter and now I was going to take it to get dyno'd tomm. Started the car and it ran rough, all of a sudden a check engine light came on so I shut it down. I plugged in my SCT and read the code, came up with a P0356 Ignition Coil Primary circuit malfunction. I unplugged every COP and checked the plugs which are all brand new HTO which were installed in Nov. when I put on my Edelbrock S/C. PLugged everything back in and still has the same problem. WTF? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
The code looks like it's for cylinder 6 which I believe is driver's side 2nd cylinder from front. I would start by cleaning the connections on the coil as well as the connector on the harness. Also take a real good look at the top of the coil to see if any of the epoxy or whatever they seal the top with has any cracks or separation.

You can also try swapping that coil with another to see if the code changes. If it does you probably have a bad coil pack.

Just make sure you mark the suspect coil.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
nope. p0356 is a coil driver circuit code. you need to load test the ground circuit back to the pcm. grab a noid light and insert it into the coil connector, it should flash and if it doesnt then you have a bad coil driver in the pcm.

if you want more clarification please pm me and we can talk over the phone. i am a certified ford tech and ive seen this many many times. coils will not fix it if the coil driver is damaged.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Thanks for stepping in with the correct info. When I read primary circuit malfunction I was thinking primary winding on the coil.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
take a test light and probe both sides and complete the circuit. if the light blinks then it means the ground side of the coil driver is correctly grounding the circuit, if the light is steady the coil has been damaged along with the pcm coil driver, if the light is not on then you have a burned up pcm.

cagefightmma

forum member
Reaction score
PCM is fine, brought it to my Tuner and he replaced the coil and plug. Just had a new Torque converter installed and a re-tune. Car runs perfect now, thank God! Thanks for all your help guys!

cagefightmma

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Dysan, yeah after a rough start, the thing runs like a champ now. All from a stupid plug and coil. My back tires ain't gonna last too long with me drifting around town, lol.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue. After my engine was built it was a combination of me not changing my plugs after the engine break-in and sporadic coil issues. Tillman speed had some low mileage coils at their shop so we swapped my high mileage ones for those and changed my plugs. Smoothed right out.

cagefightmma

forum member
Reaction score
Funny, my plugs were brand new in the box from JDM but my coils has 40K miles. Thank God it was a cheap fix, car runs 100% now. I was getting real worried since I did the S/C install myself. Car was on the dyno yesterday and pulled 385rwhp and 360rwtq with an automatic and the entry level pulley. Everything is stock except for the 4.10's. It's funny, the pulley is rated at 5-6# of boost but when we hooked up a boost gauge and did the pull, it was at 7# throughout the pull but spiked at 10# at the top. I was going to put on a smaller pulley (3.5") but he said it might ping at WOT without a GT500 fuel system and recommended that I didn't. I am running a BAP right now.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back