part it out or fix

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
i had an accidental today while testing the new tranny. its an 08 gt500 with 20k on it. everything is great except for body damage and one air ride strut. i think the insurance is gonna total it. if they do should I buy it back? has a kenne bell 3.4 liquid cooled, air ride and a new 4r70w with an msd controller.
99a3efab6872ac6d852eb74d9cde5ffd.jpg
5497a094129f997b36f683c4c4fa6515.jpg

yes we are a marine family. dad and i both.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That sucks

Would depend on price

Seems as if near every panel was hit? Frame damage?

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
If I bought it back it'd be soley for the drivetrain to plant into another car. No sense in reparing that one. That being said... DIBS on so much shit if you do part it out.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
With what you have done to it, unless you put it back to stock before giving it to the insurance company I would consider buying it back. Driveline, interior, spoiler, etc. would go nicely in to another car.

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Do your own FOX500!!! Just dont make it look like a retarded 80s drag car.

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
depends on how much they want. the things i can grab are: the blower, gauges, exhaust, tailights, underhood goodies, afco h/e with fans, air ride compressor, tank, manifold and harness. And maybe a few other things.

Sucks that the new tranny only had maybe 30miles on it.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Where is the car now? I had my car towed to my house, no sense paying storage at a wrecker yard and I wanted to maintain control/possession until coming to terms with the insurance company. Your options are to yank the drivetrain before they total it and haul it off, or buy back the car and part it out. Their payment for the totaled car will be based on book value and your improvements and upgrades mean absolutely zilch.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yea try to find a junkyard tranny and swap them out if you can quickly.

rip those things you mentioned, try to pull the bags that are good and the control system for the airlift. and all the other stuff you listed

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Is it illegal to part the car out before they total it? I have always wondered

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
you have to have the car in stock-ish form.
the car is at my good friends shop, so im not concerned about storage fees and shit.

i am takin all i can off. i have a 3650 to drop in, but to much involved. i will let the tranny go.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I imagine they would see parts missing, and then deduct from value or something.

but not a lawyer so dont quote me

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
hell no, if i am getting stock prices then they get none of my shit. not gonna fuck around with a pencil pusher.

Paladin LL 06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about me!!! Rear spoiler, airbags, for a discount of course, plus whatever else you think I need!!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
They aren't going to look very closely, believe me. If it has something that looks like an engine under the hood then it's fine. Mine didn't even have an engine or transmission in it when the insurance guy appraised it.

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Ive always wondered about that. Ive heard of people getting their settlements from insurance on a totaled car and the owner would just about gut em. I just never really knew.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
Ive always wondered about that. Ive heard of people getting their settlements from insurance on a totaled car and the owner would just about gut em. I just never really knew.

It's not something you would just brag about on an internet forum... ya know...

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
I work in a body shop.
with enough time and money anything can be fixed. the question is, IS IT FINANCIALLY VIABLE TO REPAIR IT.
if I can fix this car, your car is a piece of cake.

if you have a lien on the car, buying it back can be difficult. probably not in your case.

depending on the insurance co, buying the car can be difficult. sometimes the insurance co will make it extremely difficult to buy the car back. they do this because they can total it for less dollars because the car will have a really good salvage sale price. your GT500 will have a good salvage resale price.
state farm in my area makes it difficult to buy the car back no matter what type of car you have.

on what the insurance payoff will be.
if you didn't list the modifications to your car when you insured it and PAY EXTRA premiums for them. the insurance co will only pay out for a stock car.
if it's insured as a stock car you can legally remove the mods and return it back to stock before they take it.
insurance co's like to pick up totaled cars fast, usually the same or next day after they determine it's a total, because owners remove parts before they are picked up. they make extra efforts to pick up cars that aren't at one of their network shops, especially if it's a valuable car.
make sure your car is locked up INSIDE at your friends shop. they will tow it away ASAP after it's determined it's a total, even if they have to break the law to do so. it's a common practice in my area for tow truck drivers to cut chains so they can pick up cars. if they take the car, you call the cops. they will play dumb and say the made a mistake and there is nothing you can do to them.
once the car in their possession there is nothing you can do. when you try to get your car back, they will sell it fast and litigate later. and the insurance co will win 90% of the time. as soon as it's determined a total loss, it's legally their car in most areas. even before they pay you for it.

hope this info helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back