Passing OBD II emissions without cats

randeez stable

forum member
Reaction score
I want to put long tube headers on my 2011 Mustang GT. It is Procharged. Is there a way to pass OBD II emissions without cats, if I put on empty cylinders that look like cats to pass visual ?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Do your emissions require your o2 sensors to be on?

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
So my tuner simply turned off the check code the OBDII was throwing when I took the cats off. Literally my car just won't display that code anymore. Not sure how that would show up though.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Or, you can have your tuner turn off your rear o2's and still have the readiness tests working. In other words you can have your cake and eat it too.

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
This^. If yes, no way you can pass.

Not true. There's a couple things you can do in the tune to make the readys come up complete and not throw a code.

Or, you can have your tuner turn off your rear o2's and still have the readiness tests working. In other words you can have your cake and eat it too.

This isn't completely true either. The O2's must remain on for the readiness monitors to complete, but you are right that you can have your cake and eat it too.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score

Never heard of that one...... In IL it used to be that if you had no CEL or codes, you passed as long as all the monitors showed ready or not supported.

Now, you HAVE to have all the monitors showing ready, so rear o2s are required. Damn emissions.

steve13gt

forum member
Reaction score
Where can you get "fake cats" or empty cans, and when you guys use spacers, are you just using spark plug anti foulers? I have deleted cats, and in Canada we don't require emissions for 7 years on a new vehicle, however I want to be able to pass road sides if required.

travelers

Reaction score
I spoke with Jon Lund about that before ordering my headers and he said he could tune it to pass O2 emissions. I just got the headers back from Swain so I'm planning on installing them this weekend. I already have the new tune so ill let you guys know as I can have it emission tested without reporting.

RideThePony14

Reaction score
I passed emissions with no cats and I'm in NJ. I went to a local shop that does inspections instead of going to the State facility. No visual, just a computer scan. I passed by using the non-fouler trick (leaving my rear O2s on in my tune) and just clearing the codes, then taking it through the driving cycle and i was good to go

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Passed with non-foulers too, but no visual with my guy. ;)

Daystanger

Reaction score
Depends, on your state, In Illinois I passed every year with no cats, or o2 sensors on, the law changed now it must read the cats ready and the o2 ready. So U need a tune, yes there is a simple way for your tuner to get U to pass without the cats, but U will need the O2 sensors. Any reputable tuners knows the trick, and being this is a huge time for them to make a little cash, I will not give the secret away and piss them all off. HA !

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Where can you get "fake cats" or empty cans, and when you guys use spacers, are you just using spark plug anti foulers? I have deleted cats, and in Canada we don't require emissions for 7 years on a new vehicle, however I want to be able to pass road sides if required.

Where in this great land of ours does anyone do roadside emission testing? We ain't in the Soviet Republic of Kalifornia up here I don't think.

It's hit and miss on the non-foulers on our cars. Sometimes they work, sometimes not.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back