pinion depth and backlash

BlackSnakeMoan

Pokemon
Reaction score
Im going to install 3.73 ring and pinion but there is information i need that i couldnt manage to find. The pinion depth and its backlash. What are they?
The shop guy asked for them and i need them asap. Also it would be great if any1 can give me a link to a how to do guide for installing 3.73 gears.

Thanks

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im going to install 3.73 ring and pinion but there is information i need that i couldnt manage to find. The pinion depth and its backlash. What are they?
The shop guy asked for them and i need them asap. Also it would be great if any1 can give me a link to a how to do guide for installing 3.73 gears.

Thanks
If he's asking you then run away from there quick.
I speak from experience since I had mine done 3 times before it was perfect.
What brand of gears are they?
If they are motive the pinion depth is engraved into the pinion.
If they are FRPP he needs the proper tools to check pinion depth.
If he doesn't have them go elsewhere.

Mine were finally done properly by my ford dealer. The car is now completely quiet.
I will soon be going back to 4.10's and once again my dealer will be doing them.

Clay

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gears on these cars are really really tricky, or else they whine like crazy. I also had to have mine done a few times before it was right. I would go to someone who has done a lot of them.

howarmat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think he lives in the UAE so finding shops that have any clue what they are doing is going to be tough. I agree that it is scary to hear the shop guy asking questions like that though.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BlackSnake, as above - "run" - if they don't know, run now, run fast... but if you are curious:

1. pinion depth is the depth that the "pinion" sits in the rear-end housing. The pinion is the "gear" (and shaft) that connects to the drive-shaft. The "depth" is adjusted with shims placed between the rear face of the gear portion of this hunk of metal and the bearing to move it backward or forward in the housing. This position determines how it meshes with the "ring gear" and ensures that it does not hit the "carrier" (the hunk of metal holding the ring gear as well as the "differential" ).

2. "backlash" is the amount that the ring-gear (and carrier) rotate against the fixed pinion. That is, you hold the pinion in place and try to rotate the ring gear, it will move enough to hear it clunk back and forth against the two sides of the teeth on the pinion and ring gear that mesh at the front of the housing....

Assuming pinion depth is correct, this setting is adjusted by shimming the carrier side-to-side to produce the desired "lash" between the two gears. You don't want 0 lash or the gears would bind when they heat up and expand. You don't want too much lash or they smack around and wear eachother out - what's more you break teeth off the gears if not installed correctly...

These two settings decide both if the rear is "safe" (won't bind up or break teeth) as well as whether it will "whine" once installed. You do not want to have someone who has not done quite a few of these do this.

http://www.corral.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=26

BlackSnakeMoan

Pokemon
Reaction score
Well the guy did alot of gear installation but all of them were for GM motor. Vettes to be exact.

Does it still make him unqualified for the job?

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well the guy did alot of gear installation but all of them were for GM motor. Vettes to be exact.

Does it still make him unqualified for the job?
Well, GM rear-ends have the basic structure, though location of the adjustment may differ, they still have pinion depth and backlash to adjust - the same physics applies to both rear-ends...

Wild shot in the dark given UAE - is it possible there is a language issue here?

p.s. on second thought - pretty much regardless, I would not have anyone do a gear job on these cars who has any questions for you other than:

a. am I buying the gears or are you giving them to me?
b. when do you want me to start?
c. how can I reach you when it is done?
d. what is your credit card number or do you have cash?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back