Plugs

matt texass

Reaction score
Wierd plug situation

Well since I was bored today I decided to check my plugs. To my suprise 2 plugs toward the middle of the head were hand tight and all aroudn the plugs was covered with fuel residue........ :sick:........ well any way I tightened these 2 up snugged and snugged the rest... took her for a test drive and it seems like she really woke up. The plugs seem a little ashy (im running the hto's for nitrous but its been a couple months since I sprayed because i'm in the middle of my new set up) anyone know what causes this or is it to be expected with these HTO (have new brisk plugs on the way)? And has anyone else had problems with plugs backing out like 2 of mine seemed to have done?

thanks,
matt

Last edited:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The plugs seem a little ashy (im running the hto's for nitrous but its been a couple months since I sprayed because i'm in the middle of my new set up) anyone know what causes this or is it to be expected with these HTO (have new brisk plugs on the way)? And has anyone else had problems with plugs backing out like 2 of mine seemed to have done?
No backing out... Ashy is either crap fuel addatives (unavoidable these days), or burning a little oil... Have a catch can? If not, its likely just PCV oil... If its a more serious problem, it would be oil getting past the rings or valve guides, but given that this engine chokes itself on PCV oil normally, I'd assume that first...

matt texass

Reaction score
ya no catch can...... i'm assuming that i dont have the serious problem because it doesnt run like crap. Just wondering mainly if people have had these back out on them.... all the other plugs when in the motor were nice and clean these 2 were just not tight at all and there was fuel residue every where. maby i didnt tighten them enough.

matt texass

Reaction score
im wondering with the missing fuel that caused the fuel residue if it was running lean in those 2 cylinders...................

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
im wondering with the missing fuel that caused the fuel residue if it was running lean in those 2 cylinders...................
Hard to say anything for certain without seeing it, but as you had no serious running issues with the loose plugs - my guess is that they warmed up and sealed reasonably well once running, so the raw gas residue was from start-up when everything was cold... So, in all likelyhood you weren't running lean. If you had serious oiling problems, you'd see more than ash...

I wouldn't worry too much, but a catch can can't hurt...

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmm, that makes me wounder, I'll have to check mine when I get back.

matt texass

Reaction score
ya i thought it might just be the heat making it feel a little slugish but it def. feels ( i think maby thats just the butt o meter) a lil strong pulls harder down low.

onebadgsx

Reaction score
i had two plugs back out as well. i guess i didn't catch them in time as they were melted when i pulled them out to check them.

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
Are you seeing any fuel anywhere else? I have a buddy who's fuel rail developed a slight crack that was dumping fuel onto the motor. We caught it just in time at the track!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back