Power adders and wet roads

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I dunno how you guys daily drive your cars w/ superchargers and turbochargers. I lost traction in 3rd gear at about 30 MPH today. We had our first rain in a few weeks which made it even worse. All I have is a 93 octane tune...I can't imagine driving in these conditions with 400+ rwhp.

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
I dunno how you guys daily drive your cars w/ superchargers and turbochargers. I lost traction in 3rd gear at about 30 MPH today. We had our first rain in a few weeks which made it even worse. All I have is a 93 octane tune...I can't imagine driving in these conditions with 400+ rwhp.

quick answer would be to understand your car, what it can do, and you will be fine.

darkstar november

magical turning mustang
Reaction score
my friend drives his 1300whp porsche on dr's in the rain. we drive it up to the track one night and it rained hard most of the way there. not an isse. just have to have restraint

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score

fresh rain on roads that have been dry for a while is always worse at first. All the oil comes up. After a few days of rain and cars going over it most of the oils go away.

But, a light weight, higher hp, front weight biased car will always be trickier to drive in the wet than say,,,,a FWD honda.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Exercise a little throttle control. There's no difference between driving a 600 hp mustang in the rain compared with a 300 hp mustang in the rain. It's all about throttle control. It doesn't matter if it's turbo, roots, or centri type power adders, you can drive them in nearly any weather while maintaining control. You can't blame the power adder for spinning out.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score

Maybe you suck as a driver. :roflmao:

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
I drive my car in the snow for the past 3 winters. Just gotta learn to control it.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1/3 throttle in 3rd gear at 30 mph. I would think I'd be able to find some traction. Just surprised me, is all.

I've driven in the snow, done the rain plenty of times. Never had 'problems'.

All I'm saying is 300 hp is quite a handful. I obviously know to drive differently according to the conditions. Pulling out into fast traffic is a no-no. I know this.

What tires are you all on? These stock Pirellis suck.

Last edited:

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
I found the stock 235/55/17 pirellis to be awesome in the snow. The first winter I tried snow in some 275/35/20s and that was suicide. This year is gonna be 255/45/18s we'll see how it goes

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
lol. Thanks guys.

Question. How do you stop? Is it called brake control? I'm having trouble steering, too...is that steering control?

Thanks for the answers, though. I guess next time I'm driving, I'll remember throttle control when I want to change the speed at which I'm traveling.

Last edited:

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its called driving slow as fuck and very careful!
Ha. No doubt. Thing was I was making a right at a red and the oncoming traffic just started to move. I was in 3rd quick and I had to get moving so I gave it a little more juice and was spinning the wheels. It took me by surprise. I know 1st and 2nd are basically useless in the wet...I thought 3rd would be better. Live and learn.

The power is all but unusable in these cars in wet conditions. Can barely use it in dry conditions. I guess what I'm saying is this experience solidified my desire to stay n/a.

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
1/3 throttle in 3rd gear at 30 mph. I would think I'd be able to find some traction. Just surprised me, is all.

All I'm saying is 300 hp is quite a handful. I obviously know to drive differently according to the conditions. Pulling out into fast traffic is a no-no. I know this.

That just means you need new tires. run an high perf tire and u should be fine

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
498whp on Nitto 555R Drag Radials for a Daily Driver. Come hell or high water. Just gotta be able to control it, look at the road surface, and predict hydroplaning. Happens to every once in a while, but I've been fine so far.

Chrome61

forum member
Reaction score
It comes down to personal responsiblity, knowing what you got...I don't take mine out in the rain but I've been caught in it, I just don't kick it.....

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I drive in all weather, snow VERY SLOWLY, rain, moderate and short shift and lugging the car a bit (too high of a gear) should keep you under control.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score

I run Toyo T1R's. I'm always surprised how much throttle they will take in the rain with 570whp.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back