Power Lumbar not working

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just noticed the other day that my power lumbar was not working on my driver seat, I looked for a TSB (couldn't find anything), or anything period on how to fix this issue. Does anyone else have this issue?

Also sorry if this is not tech, wasn't sure to post here or chit chat.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine is borked, too. I haven't done any troubleshooting. First thing to do is check the fuse, assuming it's separate from the seat controls, like the seat heaters are. Maybe it's not on a separate fuse, though, because there's nothing called out in the manual. It probably gets power from the rest of the seat.

Last edited:

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought, but when I hit the button I can hear it clicking, maybe the motor for it is out???

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Are the new ones actually air bladders? In my '02 F150 I remember reading that the lumbar support was actually just an arched sheet of metal with a cable attached at one end. Pressing the button turned the spool which shortened or lengthened the cable, which arched the steel sheet more or less to change the adjustment.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, mine broke when I was launching hard one day and there was a giant popping noise inside the seat. One of these days, I'll take it apart and see what broke.

08Eleanor

08Eleanor
Reaction score
Mine broke a year or so ago. I talked to someone who had this issue and they found out that there is a small plastic gear in there that controls the winding of the wire and it gets stripped, hence the popping noise as the gear breaks it releases tension and pops. It does not have a bladder, it has the metal sheet that gets wound up like skwerl said.

The plastic gear is not an available ford part and with my 30% discount the lumbar assembly is like $350...so not gonna get fixed unless I get a replacement gear either injection molded or 3d printed, but I am supposed to be getting a 3d printer in the next month or two so hopefully I can start printing out these gears for all of us that have broken backs and broken lumbar supports!

Last edited:

07silvergt

Reaction score
it's definately NOT an air bladder. It's a little flimsy piece of plastic with a spring device and a motor. On mine the spring had snapped. The dealership wanted around $800 here in Canada for it. I hear its around $500 down there. what I did instead is had a piece of 2/8" steel welded into the seat frame and glued a piece of upholstery foam in there to build it up so now I have permanent lumbar support (not like I ever put it down) and the seat is stronger. Cost me all of $50 to do it that way.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it's definately NOT an air bladder. It's a little flimsy piece of plastic with a spring device and a motor. On mine the spring had snapped. The dealership wanted around $800 here in Canada for it. I hear its around $500 down there. what I did instead is had a piece of 2/8" steel welded into the seat frame and glued a piece of upholstery foam in there to build it up so now I have permanent lumbar support (not like I ever put it down) and the seat is stronger. Cost me all of $50 to do it that way.
2/8" steel. Is that metric for 1/4"?:roflmao:

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Mine quit about a year ago, I assumed it was a bladder because it released but then would not "inflate". Now I have it in the lowest position, pisses me off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRock

Reaction score
I launched hard one day and heard mine snap. WHen i changed my seat covers I saw what broke causing it to go out. There is a metal bar that goes all the way down the back that had literally snapped straight in half. I should have taken pics but the only way to fix it would have been new parts and I was already over it

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm went out too one day I was reaching for my cell phone... POP!!!

I thought it was an air bladder too... sigh
I guess new 302 seats are in order... LOL

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back