PVC experts, need some help with a turbo setup.

Forge

forum member
Reaction score
I have the hellion turbo kit. Ive been reading post here and there about oil seperators.

My question. with the hellion kit, i had to put some type of check valve in the hose going from the drivers cam cover to the intake manifold. Not sure what this does.

So, to get this straight, the hose connected to the intake piping to the pass. side cam cover only PULLS air correct? THis means i shouldnt be getting oil in my intercooler?

and the driver side PUSHES oil/air out of the cam cover and into the intake? So, should i just need to put one can on the driver side system?

Should i waste time or money putting another catch can system on the passenger side? Since it supposedly PULLS air from the intake tube, it shouldnt be putting any oil into my intake correct?

Sorry guys, i dont know crap about our PVC system. Any help is appreciated.

Forge

forum member
Reaction score
after talking to Jeff at hellion, he says i have nothing to worry about, not sure if i believe him tho.....

the ball valve i installed it to keep boost out of my engine, so that doesnt do anything to help.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
after talking to Jeff at hellion, he says i have nothing to worry about, not sure if i believe him tho.....

the ball valve i installed it to keep boost out of my engine, so that doesnt do anything to help.
Under "normal" circumstances, there is high vacuum on the driver's side valve cover as that is connected to the intake behind the throttle body. So, 99% of the time your engine is not under load or boost as a result that hose sees high vacuum. As a result it draws air/vapor out of the driver's side which means that the air has to be replaced - it is replaced by any pressure generated by windage and blow-by in the crank case AND air coming in from the pass side PCV (which is plumbed in front of the throttle body).

Under boost/load (the intake is now either in low vacuum or boost), the ball valve you speak of should prevent pressurizing of the valve cover and crank case, however, that does not prevent vapor coming in from the pass side in this case - which gets added to the pressurized air coming in from the turbo and sucked into the engine...

This _should_ be minimal - certainlyin relation to the amount of time the engine exists in this condition. Most of the time the oil vapor that comes up through the pass side happens when the car is off - so the effect is minimal and only on start up... Most people don't bother with a catch can on this side for this reason. I don't see why your setup should be any different...

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
Hope these pics help out. What oil Separator did you buy . It needs to be with a open element not a sealed element.

DSC03976.jpg

DSC03973.jpg

DSC03971.jpg

DSC03972.jpg

DSC03970.jpg

Pete

Forge

forum member
Reaction score
i havent bought anything yet, was looking at steffs or moroso's. Wanted to make sure before i bought anything.

Pete, How much oil accumulation have you had in yours?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, even it was a teaspoon every 1000 miles, with all the money you're spending on your build, don't you think the couple bucks for a kit is worth it?

I personally don't think ANY mod that is considered 'problem preventive' is worth overlooking if it's only a few bucks.

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
i havent bought anything yet, was looking at steffs or moroso's. Wanted to make sure before i bought anything.

Pete, How much oil accumulation have you had in yours?

Hardly anything at all , I mean Ill check it once a month and its droplets on my fingure only , thats it.

Pete

DoctorQ

Reaction score
In all honesty, even it was a teaspoon every 1000 miles, with all the money you're spending on your build, don't you think the couple bucks for a kit is worth it?

Based on direct user experience from members on other Mustang forums, it appears an accurate range of S197 blow-by is 1-2 teaspoons per 100 miles (on a NA motor). This equals 1/4 to 1/2 a quart of oil is being ingested into the intake each 5K miles.

6 Teaspoons = 1 fl oz
32 fl oz = 1 Qt (or 192 Teaspoons in 1 Qt)
1 tsp per 100mi = 50 tsp per 5000mi (50 tsp = 8.33oz, or ~ 1/4 Qt)
2 tsp per 100mi = 100 tsp per 5000mi (100 tsp = 16.67oz, or ~ 1/2 Qt)

From my direct experience, over a 7 week period after installing my Moroso oil separator, I found I had collected precisely 41ml (8 teaspoons) of oil for 1200 miles of driving. Although happy this was under the N/A S197 average of 1-2 tsp/100mi, I can't imagine this amount of oil[FONT=&quot] going back into the intake to be re-burned. Now for a question: another Forum member posted:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"[/FONT]Actually the PCV blowby is designed to lubricate the combustion chamber (somewhat) to help the rings seal better. This is how it has been done for a long time. The problem with the supercharger is that the oil also finds its way into the intercooler reducing the heat transferring capacity. For a naturally aspirated application, keep it as is."

Question: Does blowby (a mixture of oil mixed with dirt, atomized fuel, and water vapor) actually provide lubrication benefit? Find it hard to believe this is what Ford engineers came up with to provide top-half lubrication. Can filtering (preventing blowby from re-entering intake) lead to ring issues down the road? Thx.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back