Servicing AC System, could use some help

Chris Sweeney

Reaction score
Hey all!

Been lurking here ever since I bought my 2014 V6 back in April, haven't found the need to create a post until now.

With summer getting hot in California, I've been wrestling with an AC system leak. I had it recharged at a shop, and about 3 days later it was nearly 1lb low on refrigerant again (so, pretty egregious leak).

I had it recharged again with dye injected, tracked down the leaks myself. Today I'm at the shop getting the system fully evacuated so that I can replace the leaking parts this weekend.

My question is this- since there was a fairly serious refrigerant leak + having it vacuumed 3 times, I'm assuming it's probably also low on PAG oil.

Should I try to add some oil, or would the better thing to do be to drain the compressor and add in the recommended amount of oil? The shop I'm at said they aren't able to check the level of the oil during an evac/recharge (which is all I payed for). I'm thinking it's probably going to be better to take out the compressor and give it a fresh fill, but I'd rather not have to do that if it's not required.

I have no idea how much oil it's lost, and being that the compressor itself is still fine (for now), I'd rather not risk damaging it by not running enough oil.

Let me know what you guys think. And thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Which parts were leaking? I had a leak in my high pressure line from the compressor and replaced the line several years ago and all is still good. Most refrigerants have some oil in them so you have been replacing oil with every fill. Oil also stays mostly in the compressor too so adding oil depends on which parts you are replacing. I would say add a small amount of oil just to be sure and you should be ok.

Chris Sweeney

Reaction score
Which parts were leaking? I had a leak in my high pressure line from the compressor and replaced the line several years ago and all is still good. Most refrigerants have some oil in them so you have been replacing oil with every fill. Oil also stays mostly in the compressor too so adding oil depends on which parts you are replacing. I would say add a small amount of oil just to be sure and you should be ok.

Parts that were leaking were the junction between the hose that goes to the Evap core and the low pressure service port > compressor. I replaced that whole tube. It was also leaking from the compressor relief valve (which I’m aware might indicate a different issue… we’ll see) and the high pressure schraeder valve. I replaced all of those two weeks ago and had it recharged last week.

It seems to have helped, but the compressor is still cycling more often than it should. When it’s cold it gets COLD, but when you’re on the gas or downshifting you can feel it get a bit warmer.

Anyway, I added some oil to the accumulator drier since it was recommended I replace that as well, added about half a shot glass worth. I figure that’s probably (?) enough for now. I bought some little testers from Amazon that are supposed to indicate the level of oil in the system. Have yet to try those out.

Reaction score
Parts that were leaking were the junction between the hose that goes to the Evap core and the low pressure service port > compressor. I replaced that whole tube. It was also leaking from the compressor relief valve (which I’m aware might indicate a different issue… we’ll see) and the high pressure schraeder valve. I replaced all of those two weeks ago and had it recharged last week.

It seems to have helped, but the compressor is still cycling more often than it should. When it’s cold it gets COLD, but when you’re on the gas or downshifting you can feel it get a bit warmer.

Anyway, I added some oil to the accumulator drier since it was recommended I replace that as well, added about half a shot glass worth. I figure that’s probably (?) enough for now. I bought some little testers from Amazon that are supposed to indicate the level of oil in the system. Have yet to try those out.
When the compressor cycles do you hear the high speed radiator fan coming on too? That indicates too high a pressure in the compressor which may be the reason for the cycling. There is pressure switch that shuts down the compressor if it gets too high and it also turns on the high speed fan to lower the pressure until the compressor can turn back on. Your low speed radiator fan should run continuously whenever the A/C is on too.

Last edited:

Chris Sweeney

Reaction score
When the compressor cycles on do you hear the high speed radiator fan coming on too? That indicates too high a pressure in the compressor which may be the reason for the cycling. Your low speed fan should run continuously whenever the A/C is on too.
Hm. I’m pretty sure it’s the high speed fan that comes on and runs continuously whenever the AC is on. I suppose it may be the low speed but it seems like high speed to me. I don’t notice a change in the fan speed when the compressor kicks off and on, it just runs continuously at the same speed whether that be high or low.

Being that the relief valve did pop at some point though, I wouldn’t be surprised if the expansion valve was clogged. The new relief valve hasn’t popped yet though, so I’m not sure.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back