Help with turbo setup

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I’ve never ran a turbo kit before so I’m not sure what all I can do with it or how certain components actually work. One of the features that made me choose it was I wanted to have multiple boost levels that are easy to adjust & control. I loved playing in the Kenne Bell but felt I lost alot of traction control I had with the ProCharger. An example of what I’m wanting to do is see 0lbs=1st gear, 3lbs=2nd, 10lbs=3rd, 16lbs=4th….no plans for slicks or track use. From what I understand my TurboSmart eboost 2 controller & eboost 2 control solenoid will allow me to do this..? I’ve been looking at the TurboSmart eboost 2 4 port control valve solenoid. There’s a 3 port & 4 port valve…all the reading I’ve done makes me think I need a 4 port over the 3 port bcz the 4 port will allow me to run low boost in low gears but I could be totally wrong!! Anyone running a setup like this that can educate me? Is what I’m talking about possible with the turbo setup?

Wastegate
I’m going to have puts hands on the piping install to understand how the wastegate works. The pics with On3 kit aren’t the best and I could read the instructions 100 times and still not see it in my head but my understanding is it relieves pressure before hitting the exhaust wheel. I think it does this from a pipe coming from each manifold piping going to the gate…..well, on one YouTube On3 vid the guy recommends disconnecting one of those pipes and capping it to eliminate boost creep. This just blows my mind but again I’ve never installed the piping so I don’t see the whole picture yet!! I upgraded the wastegate to a TurboSmart WG45 Gen V hypergate. I found an adapter for the 2 bolt 38mm flange to a 44mm v belt gate but will this work on my 45? Some sites show the Gen V as a 44/45mm so will it work on a 44mm adapter?

I’m stuck…I don’t know which boost solenoid to order or what adapter I need to hook my wastegate up!! Feel free to post any turbo info you want

01BC94B5-04E7-4C7D-828B-F18045EC73D7.png

2710B321-2B1D-4944-BFCA-405FFCD831C3.png

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I think I’m seeing the wastegate all wrong. Maybe the manifold piping Y’s together b4 the wastegate and 1 pipe is pressure on the compressor side and the other relieves pressure to the discharge exhaust side? Dunno anything about boost creep or how that might effect it

07 Boss

Reaction score
First of you need to get your terminology correct. A waste gate is located on the exhaust side and will route extra exhaust past the turbo or into the atmosphere. A BOV or blow off valve controls the pressure on the intake side.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
First of you need to get your terminology correct. A waste gate is located on the exhaust side and will route extra exhaust past the turbo or into the atmosphere. A BOV or blow off valve controls the pressure on the intake side.
I guess I’m confused, I don’t see where I said anything about the wastegate being on the intake side or mentioning a BOV at all. I was talking about the 2 pipes coming off the exhaust manifolds going to the wastegate

Last edited:

AHaze

Reaction score
The article you got that image of how to plumb a 4-port BCS from answers a lot of this but I'll clarify a few things that may help you out.
1) The wastgate is located between the outlet of your exhaust manifold (after the merge on your V8 if using a single turbo) and the inlet of the hot side of the turbo. It's job is to allow some of the exhaust gasses to bypass the turbo to control boost pressure. It can be piped either straight to atmosphere or back into the exhaust system downstream of the turbo.
2) Boost creep happens when the wastegate is not large enough causing too much of the exhaust gasses to be pushed through the turbo. I have no idea what the YouTube video you referenced is talking about. If you're getting boost creep, you need a bigger wastegate.
3) A 4 port BCS can not be used with a single port wastegate actuator. At the boost levels you're looking to run (16psi) it isn't necessary either IMHO.
4) you won't be able to keep boost at zero in first gear. There is a spring in the wastegate that sets the minimum pressure the wastegate will open at. The BCS can only add to that minimum.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
To add to what AHaze said, you should not need a 4-port solenoid unless you plan on running more than 2x the boost your wastegate springs allow. This is because the solenoid can bleed off all the PSI (boost) the wastegate will allow, but that's it. Anything more, and you'll need another source of pressure (ie: tank of compressed air) and another port on your solenoid.

Unless you want things to get complicated, I'd recommend a 7-9psi spring for your wastegate(s) and use your boost controller (preferably an EBC that'll do gear-based boost... if you want to limit 1st gear to spring pressure only) to get the 16psi you want. If you're trying to get as low boost as possible in 1st gear, you could potentially go with a 5lb wastegate spring, then use a 4-port solenoid and boost controller (with a tank of compressed air) to get more than 2x of your 5lb wastegate spring.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
The article you got that image of how to plumb a 4-port BCS from answers a lot of this but I'll clarify a few things that may help you out.
1) The wastgate is located between the outlet of your exhaust manifold (after the merge on your V8 if using a single turbo) and the inlet of the hot side of the turbo. It's job is to allow some of the exhaust gasses to bypass the turbo to control boost pressure. It can be piped either straight to atmosphere or back into the exhaust system downstream of the turbo.
2) Boost creep happens when the wastegate is not large enough causing too much of the exhaust gasses to be pushed through the turbo. I have no idea what the YouTube video you referenced is talking about. If you're getting boost creep, you need a bigger wastegate.
3) A 4 port BCS can not be used with a single port wastegate actuator. At the boost levels you're looking to run (16psi) it isn't necessary either IMHO.
4) you won't be able to keep boost at zero in first gear. There is a spring in the wastegate that sets the minimum pressure the wastegate will open at. The BCS can only add to that minimum.
yessir…clarity is what I seek lol
1. I did a lot more looking so I understand better about what your saying about the pipe merging & how it works to bypass
2. On3 told me with the levels I’m wanting to run I’d need the bigger gate. They didn’t think the 44(?)mm they offered would do me good either so I did the upgrade. Hopefully I can install the kit per the instructions and the bigger gate will eliminate creep.
3. I believe the wastegate I have offers dual ports. My want for the 4 port was mainly concentrated around lower boost control but I see what you’re saying.
4. That makes sense bcz my wastegate came pre assembled with a 3lb inner, 7lb middle, 14lb outer spring so 3lbs would be the lowest I could run. Makes sense

This quote in the article above is what I thought I needed a 4 port but a 3 port will do the same thing?
“This allows for a much lower wastegate spring pressure for better low gear boost control and perfect high gear, high boost control. Low gear boost means more traction at launch and lower gears and higher boost at higher gears when traction is usally less of an issue. This is commonly refered to as "boost by gear"”

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Quote me if I'm wrong, but a 44mm wastegate should be more than enough for on3 turbo at the boost you want to run.
Thinking back….I think the problem was the 38mm gate that came with the kit wasn’t big enough and they offered to sell me the 44mm but said I’d have to modify the piping to make their 44mm work. I chose to put that money and hassle of getting the pipe modified toward what I’m hoping to be a better wastegate. I ordered the kit prob 2yrs ago, memory’s slippin alittle. I was scared if I didn’t go ahead and get the kit it’d be discontinued or something so I ordered it and stored it

Last edited:

AHaze

Reaction score
The decision between 3 port and 4 port BCS needs to factor in the capabilities of whatever EBC setup you're running and is something you should definitely discuss with whoever will be tuning the car. My understanding is the tradeoff of a 4 port is that fine control at lower boost levels becomes more difficult. That said, I have only done tuning of a 3 port on a factory turbocharged vehicle so I'm not exactly an authority on the matter.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Ordered the 3 port. Anyone have any info on the flange adapters? Trying to go from a 38mm 2 bolt flange to a 45mm v band. I can find one for the 44mm Tial but not a 45mm Turbosmart

MrBhp

Reaction score
There is very limited room where the wastegate attaches. I can't see an adapter fitting in that spot without reworking that piece of flex that it is attached to. As Ahaze said, cut it and weld in proper flange. Doing this will allow you to get that WG piping off the ground. That thing is crazy low.

I saw that On3 now supplies the larger WG with the systems. Which means they have reworked the piping.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Yeah I opened up the wastegate box and it looks like it comes with new flanges. Shouldn’t be to much $$ to get it done. May do it myself, father n law has mig, been awhile but I took welding in high school lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back