Quick 6 and the s197 4.6 3v ford

Tristan

Reaction score
Hi everyone I’m new to the forum but I see a lot of guys discussing the quick 6 swap in the s197 3v platform. I have now successfully calibrated and installed these systems in a few cars and have learned a lot along the way.

1 yes if you have a auto car you can absolutely keep using this pcm but there will be some specific things that have to happen to make it work with no wrench light.

2 the swap to a 6r80 is pretty straightforward and there is a lot of info on fitment and parts need to complete this on the forum.

3 quick 6 calibration is very important and the stock or rather base cals that come with the shift ware are just that basic. A lot of setting can be changed to get the best driving experience from your car or truck.

4 pcm calibration this is also key you have to have the right person working on the pcm for this swap to function properly and with the best results I do all my own calibrations and my people seem to be happy with the results.

5 wiring and integration of select shift this is also easy and you can use a stock 13-14 shifter in your 3v 05-10 6r80 swap.

6 patients this is key don’t get overwhelmed and take your time this is the most important thing I can preach. When you rush mistakes happen so just take it one step at a time you won’t regret it.

8 if you want to use a stock pcm 11-14 this is also possible and what I eventually went to. Now to do this it’s not easy by any means and will take 5 times the patience and time to complete but you can control everything from cams to car going this route.

My original quick 6 project is actually on there site it’s the green king ranch expedition check it out. That truck has now evolved and is basically a mustang truck in its current state for more info just post on the thread.

Forgot to add with the quick 6 the best possible control will come from a autometer tach adapter. Without it yes the trans & controller will work but the shift points will not be perfect. When a tach adapter is added the commanded shift will happen at the correct rpm. Without the tach adapter you may request a 7k shift but find your shift is being commanded at 6500 to 7500 depending on your settings.

All s550 cars 6r80 15-17 use rpm to command shifts vs the 11-14 which were more based on speed.

A another really cool feature with the gen 2 quick 6 I really liked was the on the fly maps you can select between 4 and this feature I loved. Meaning you can have your normal mode then on the fly go to your sport shot mode map and go from commanding a 6200 rpm shift to more like 6500 on a stock 3v really cool stuff.

Also the hill decent feature (OD LOCKOUT) you can lock out 6 gear or if you want to 5-6 gear when in the mountains. There is a lot going on with the quick 6 and I thought their product was a great workaround for guys wanting a stand alone option for such a great trans on their late model vehicles.

For any help just let me know and I will do my best.

Akara

Reaction score
Hey Tristan I have a 2004 F150 5.4 3v with an Intercooled Roushcharger, I have a failing 4r75e that I want to swap for a 6R80 instead.
Truck currently has a black oak pcm, and I was originally considering the USShift 6
One thing I want to retain is cruise control and I was wondering if its easier to get cruise working with the quickshift 6 or with swapping the whole PCM and engine/trans harness for a newer coppperhead one.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back