Question on differential

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
I have a minor drip at the bottom of the differential. I had the car on my 4 post lift which is pretty well level and decided to add some diff oil. When I removed the fill/check plug on the diff, I had some oil leak out the fill hole so I just reinstalled the plug. Why would there be diff oil running out the plug hole if this is the only time the plug has been removed since the car was manufactured in 2011? The car hadn't been driven for 24 hours and over the winter a few ounces had leaked out.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe they fill the diffs while they are no attached to the car at the factory?

Who knows, pull the cover, redo the sealant and change the fluid, nbd.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
When you say it leaked out, did it leak out quickly or slowly? A properly filled differential should be just below the fill plug. If a tiny bit ran out then that is probably normal.

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
It was more than a slow leak. It surprised me that it leaked out at all and that it was more a leak than a drip. As soon as I removed the plug and saw the leak I took a few minutes to clean up the plug and reapply some blue locktite before reinstalling it. During this time the diff fluid was still leaking out.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
It was more than a slow leak. It surprised me that it leaked out at all and that it was more a leak than a drip. As soon as I removed the plug and saw the leak I took a few minutes to clean up the plug and reapply some blue locktite before reinstalling it. During this time the diff fluid was still leaking out.

Based on this it sounds like the diff is somehow over filled!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back