Rebuilding a 2007 GT

Jack Wallace

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to the group and have a couple questions. A buddy of mine has a 2007 GT Premium that we are currently in the process of “restoring” (it has had 10 previous owners who did not treat it so kindly). We are trying to return it to almost stock (with some tasteful OEM+ mods and any recommended upgrades we can make, such as improvements in OEM equipment from year to year, say in 08 or 10 or something like that). We have replaced all of the timing components of the motor, all new seals and gaskets, new oil pump, new plugs, coils, valve covers, etc. We also are replacing many of the cooling components, such as the radiator, as some of them were damaged or appear to be very worn out. We are also doing lots of new suspension components, the main feature being coil overs. I am hoping someone in this group can give me any tips or tricks or suggestions as to what we should replace or upgrade during this process. I am also looking for recommendations to a reputable tuner for the 4.6L 3v, preferably with a dyno in Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Arkansas or Mississippi. All comments are appreciated!

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I love my KW Suspension V3 adjustable shocks and springs. And don't forget some Maximum Motorsports caster / camber plates.

Many people also forget about the brakes. You'll love a brake upgrade as much, or maybe more, than suspension and engine mods. StopTech and Baer make nice kits.

One-piece driveshaft from The Driveshaft Shop and a set of 3.73's with a Detroit TruTrack or Torsen diff.

The list can go on forever.. But this should make it a pretty fun driver.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

AHaze

Reaction score
OEM parts from other S197s that are worth upgrading to will be mostly from GT500s. Front brakes and rear sway bar ( both also used on Boss 302s and the Track pack '11+ GTs IIRC) wheels, strut mounts (may not be compatible with your coil-overs), wheels and if you really want to get crazy, the TR6060 transmission. The Bullitt / 2010 GT air inlet could be used if you want an OEM open element filter and you could replace your bumpers with GT/CS parts if you prefer that look.
The must have aftermarket upgrades for me on this chassis are rear lower control arms (fixes wheel hop) and motor mounts (mostly cures the shifting issues caused by the body mounted shifter).

Samos3

Reaction score
Hi Jack,
I'm the guy you got the fuel rails from.
Glad to see you made it to the forum.
It will be easier to communicate here than on Ebay!

Jack Wallace

Reaction score
Hi Jack,
I'm the guy you got the fuel rails from.
Glad to see you made it to the forum.
It will be easier to communicate here than on Ebay!
Yessir thank you for all the help! I look forward to any more advice or input you have for me. I will keep y’all updated as we continue to fix up more stuff on the car.

Jack Wallace

Reaction score
OEM parts from other S197s that are worth upgrading to will be mostly from GT500s. Front brakes and rear sway bar ( both also used on Boss 302s and the Track pack '11+ GTs IIRC) wheels, strut mounts (may not be compatible with your coil-overs), wheels and if you really want to get crazy, the TR6060 transmission. The Bullitt / 2010 GT air inlet could be used if you want an OEM open element filter and you could replace your bumpers with GT/CS parts if you prefer that look.
The must have aftermarket upgrades for me on this chassis are rear lower control arms (fixes wheel hop) and motor mounts (mostly cures the shifting issues caused by the body mounted shifter).
He will definitely be doing at the very least nicer rotors and new pads, but I will talk to him about possibly upgrading to GT500 equipment in the braking department. I should not that the purpose of this car will never to go fast or be any sort of track (or otherwise weapon). It is a car he enjoys driving and will take on long trips and have fun with but he obviously wants it to be clean and run and drive well, and we’re enjoying tinkering with it.

Jack Wallace

Reaction score
what brand aftermarket LCAs do you recommend?

GriffX

Reaction score
This is my list I found out what suspension parts Ford changed from the 07 ->14

Front:

Front k-member brace
new sway bar + mounts

new control arm geometry, bigger ball joint
new upper strut mount
new wheel hub

Rear:

new longer upper control arm
new lower control arm (stiffer bushings)

new sway bar

Last edited:

AHaze

Reaction score
what brand aftermarket LCAs do you recommend?
Honestly, I don't know that it really matters. I have the chromoly Steedas on my car and have driven friend's cars with the tubular BMR and Bob's Machine billet arms. They all do the job. If you're going to have those coil-overs set super low, some LCA relocation brackets and an adjustable rear upper arm may be needed as well.

Samos3

Reaction score
Yessir thank you for all the help! I look forward to any more advice or input you have for me. I will keep y’all updated as we continue to fix up more stuff on the car.
No problem! There are probably plenty of members on here that know much more than I do, but I do what I can. My car is virtually stock aside from some suspension replacement (Koni STR.TS, Ford Racing Springs (P or K can't remember, whichever is the slightly lower than stock), GT500 upper strut mounts, GT500/Boss 302 type lower front control arms (MUCH heavier duty arm, but correct balljoint size for a GT), GT500 rear lower control arms, adjustable panhard bar, Ford Racing jounce bumpers, and I'm running 255 tires on the stock 18" wheels. I think I have PowerStop rotors at all four corners (drilled and slotted, didn't really want drilled as they can crack, but they didn't have slotted only), EBC or Powerstop pads. I read recently that you can use later front rotors ('11 and later?) and matching caliper brackets to get bigger brakes and keep your stock calipers. Not sure if that will affect traction control or ABS in any way.

I do have some other minor stock parts for the 07-10 leftover from my heater/coolant hose adventure. Just depends on what your missing. You say you have a coolant crossover, do you have the black alternator bracket? I have a nice clean spare. I also have a couple very low mileage OEM heater hoses (the one that connects to the bottom fitting on the coolant crossover), its just the one hose. The bracket was cut for using the other hose with a Roush supercharger. I also have a new lower radiator hose (although, one of the hoses needs to be secured with a hose clamp...misaligned manufacturing seal band). I have it in my Ebay listing.

Jack Wallace

Reaction score
No problem! There are probably plenty of members on here that know much more than I do, but I do what I can. My car is virtually stock aside from some suspension replacement (Koni STR.TS, Ford Racing Springs (P or K can't remember, whichever is the slightly lower than stock), GT500 upper strut mounts, GT500/Boss 302 type lower front control arms (MUCH heavier duty arm, but correct balljoint size for a GT), GT500 rear lower control arms, adjustable panhard bar, Ford Racing jounce bumpers, and I'm running 255 tires on the stock 18" wheels. I think I have PowerStop rotors at all four corners (drilled and slotted, didn't really want drilled as they can crack, but they didn't have slotted only), EBC or Powerstop pads. I read recently that you can use later front rotors ('11 and later?) and matching caliper brackets to get bigger brakes and keep your stock calipers. Not sure if that will affect traction control or ABS in any way.

I do have some other minor stock parts for the 07-10 leftover from my heater/coolant hose adventure. Just depends on what your missing. You say you have a coolant crossover, do you have the black alternator bracket? I have a nice clean spare. I also have a couple very low mileage OEM heater hoses (the one that connects to the bottom fitting on the coolant crossover), its just the one hose. The bracket was cut for using the other hose with a Roush supercharger. I also have a new lower radiator hose (although, one of the hoses needs to be secured with a hose clamp...misaligned manufacturing seal band). I have it in my Ebay listing.
Thanks for all the info! I know we are planning on going with the OPR LCAs (unless the Ford Performance GT500 one’s are a better option for some reason, I simply selected the OPRs because I read that some people who have GT500s are upgrading to those). And we plan to do the PowerStop Z26 brake kit as well. I will ask him about the extra coolant parts and brackets you mentioned.

Samos3

Reaction score
After you talk to him, send me a private message or start a conversation (whatever it's called on this forum...).

As far as the suspension, if he's not racing or has more power, some things can be overkill, especially on the wallet! I'm not familiar with the OPR arms. The Ford Racing lower fronts were pretty reasonable at $300-ish for the pair including shipping. Not terribly much more than OEM stock replacements.

Whpony96

Reaction score
I'm almost finished restoring (just body kit paint left to do) a 2005 Mineral Gray V6 Mustang Convertible and building it to a V8 Foose Stallion. Two "must do's" are a GT-500 Radiator Fan, EPAS Steering Rack from a 2013 or 2014 Mustang.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I had to install UMI rear lower control arms about 10 years ago. The work fine, and they're inexpensive. About a year ago I had to replace the front control arms. The Ford Performance arms are inexpensive and a lot beefier than stock.
Braided stainless steel brake lines are nice. They're inexpensive.
The last thing I'd mention is 2011 - 14 front rotors and caliper brackets. You get a 1" increase in rotor diameter, they fit my stock wheels, and you don't need new calipers, just caliper brackets. [Buying calipers for 2011 - 14 may be the only way to find the brackets.]

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back