Roush Mufflers

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I don’t want to beat a dead horse but I was never impressed by any exhaust combo in any s197 or even s550. I miss the good old fashioned sn95 deep tone that as soon as you hear it you know it’s a Mustang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya, they sound ok, but nothing like they used to. I have a pushrod 5.0 in my '66 mustang, love the way that thing sounds. Flowmaster 40s on it with dump tubes. It's a loud car too, but exhaust setup has been that way since I was in high school, and it shows, lol

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I hear ya, they sound ok, but nothing like they used to. I have a pushrod 5.0 in my '66 mustang, love the way that thing sounds. Flowmaster 40s on it with dump tubes. It's a loud car too, but exhaust setup has been that way since I was in high school, and it shows, lol

That’s why I keep buying and selling sn95’s lol. I’ve heard a few s550’s with muffler deletes and stock resonator in place and it sounds more like that old school sound. There’s a video of one with a flowmaster dual in/out muffler in place of the stock resonator that has that old school sound. That’s why I mentioned it for an s197 in place of the midpipe. It would be an interesting experiment with different mufflers.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I had Pypes resonator tips on my 07 years ago. The fitment was ok. Then I swapped them for Pypes muffler deletes, the fitment isn’t great and I can’t get the tips to line up no matter what I do. I also had m80s on that car and decided to change it up. When I pulled them off one of them looked like it had a stress fracture that opened up the case. It’s at stock ride height and doesn’t scrape so I don’t know how that happened. But anyway I swapped in some glass packs and like the sound better but it is loud.

I don’t want to beat a dead horse but I was never impressed by any exhaust combo in any s197 or even s550. I miss the good old fashioned sn95 deep tone that as soon as you hear it you know it’s a Mustang.

You put glass packs in place of the rear mufflers? I had been considering doing that exact thing just to see what they sounded like, I even thought about just clamping them direct to the over-axle pipes just to be able to fire it up and hear what it sounded like.

I vaguely remember someone mentioning at one point somewhere adding a second crossover after the midpipe, like a secondary H, and that it helped balance the sound of it better. I’d really like to keep the deep sound of my exhaust but find a way to dial down the shouty sound of it at mid throttle.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
You put glass packs in place of the rear mufflers? I had been considering doing that exact thing just to see what they sounded like, I even thought about just clamping them direct to the over-axle pipes just to be able to fire it up and hear what it sounded like.

I vaguely remember someone mentioning at one point somewhere adding a second crossover after the midpipe, like a secondary H, and that it helped balance the sound of it better. I’d really like to keep the deep sound of my exhaust but find a way to dial down the shouty sound of it at mid throttle.

I should have worded it better, no I have I think 16” glass packs mid mounted. They’re some off brand I bought used to experiment with the sound. They’re louder than the m80s I had on there.

For a while I didn’t have axlebacks at all, just over axle pipes with mid mounted mufflers “dumped” after the rear axle. I’d like to run dumps to see how it would sound. Obnoxious I would guess lol. It definitely gives these cars a different tone.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I was thinking about what you said before, and do wonder if a dual in/out muffler after the H or X (X in my case) would help get rid of that awful mid throttle sound. I've read that the sound comes from deleting the cats and wonder if merging it back together in a muffler/resonator and then back out would cancel that crap out.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
That would be interesting to hear.

This is the video I was referring to. I know it’s not a 3v and the routing is different but I’d imagine the science behind it still applies.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
It does sound good, mine's a coyote too, not a 3V. I'd like to hear it under power instead of just idle, will have to search to see if he has more videos of it. Mine sounds great at idle and WOT, but that 2200-2800 rpm range is just awful.

I was going to add a couple dynomax race bullets in, but might do this instead.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
wow, that does sound a bit tame. And that's just the super 40 with no other mufflers at all it seems? No way it's that quiet with just that. He might still have cats on it too I suppose.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
finally got around to putting in a dual in/out muffler ( flowmaster knock off, I'm cheap, lol) in-between the x pipe and the Roush mufflers, and I love it. It really tamed the raspy/crappy sound of just the roush's down.

I'll try to get some video/sound clips soon. Just got done putting my ported '19 intake on and got a Palm Beach tune now. We'll see how it does tomorrow on the test drive.

So, what does a set of Shelby single tip mufflers go for these days? Think I'm going to keep this setup and need to pass the Shelby's on to someone else.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back